Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

500 dollar deposit for an Iphone FFFFUUUU

chow184

so yeah I just tried to order an iphone and it says they need a 500 dollar deposit....

I'm 21 and havent really built much credit. I just completed a 2 year contract with verizon though. every bill paid on time. I also had to give them 400 dollars on a deposit because I had no credit AT ALL at the time.I still don't have any credit cards,don't want any either...

but after 2 years at&t wants 500....

**** my life.....

is there any way around this? can I call up and ***** my way out of it? I'm not paying half a grand to ****ing AT&T so they can make interest off of my money.

Well it's obvious you can't afford it, so you need to dial back your wants at this point.

It won't be the end of the world if you don't have one.

that's an ignorant douchebag thing to say,the plan itself I want would be 5 dollars more than what I've paid on my previous phone the past 2 years. I have more than enough money for the phone. it's just that having to pay a deposit again is a pain in the ass,and the fact I have to pay 500 is ridiculous

most phone companies are requiring a deposit now, you can thank all the people who go bankrupt and don't pay their bills. So not many companies trust people these days.

I just got an iphone last month, it rocks. But I have had the same account since Cingular first started nearly 8 years ago...ATT LOVES me....when you establish yourself as a long time customer, they are willing to do anything and everything to keep you.

Last year I was having continual problems with a phone and the replacements. I threatened to close my account, even saying I didn't care if I had to pay the early termination fee. The retention dept guy said, "what can I do to keep you, I'll give you any phone you want for free." I didn't go that far, but I sure did save a **** ton of money and got a great replacement phone.

Just keep working hard to build credit, keep it in good standing and soon you will reap the benefits that the rest of us "old" folks have had to do.

Good luck!

things are looking up, verizon has been bugging the hell out of my mom lately to extend her contract. calling our house every other day literally.

says we might get a fam plan with AT&T.

I'd still pay the bill and buy the actual phone,but this solves my problem....

I have the money to pay the deposit,but that's alot of ****ing money to throw at a phone(900 in the first month...) 36(activation fee) 75 (monthly phone bill) 300(16 gig iphone) 500 (security deposit)

unless your doing well for yourself or have saved up some money for a little bit,nobody can just blow a grand on something like it's nothing.

That's really strange. I just left my parents plan in January (they were on AT&T) and signed my own contract because I wanted the iPhone.

Maybe since I was on their plan and they were such good customers AT&T didn't care, but all I had to pay was the cost of the phone and the pro-rated bill about 2 weeks later.

Yeah, you are going to need to establish some credit because this is something you are going to continually run into this whether it be a phone, a car, a house, anything.

You seem to be a person who understands debt and paying stuff off as evidenced by your history with Verizon, so I suspect you'd be responsible with a credit card and pay it off each month or not even charge anything, just have it to establish credit.

In life you have to build credit. You don't have to charge, you do have to have credit.

Get a credit card backed by your $500 cash and establish a little credit. You will be happy you did it.

yeah I've been thinking about getting one for daily expenses,and then at the end of the month it's easy to pay.

seems like every month I'm getting an offer in the mail saying I'm pre-approved for some card,but I'd probably just get one from my bank.

yeah I've been thinking about getting one for daily expenses,and then at the end of the month it's easy to pay.

My advice is to get something with rewards. I have 2 cards, one that gives airline rewards for each dollar of purchase and a Hilton card that gives hilton honors points for purchases.

I'll use them for groceries and gas and my traveling and paying them off each month or keeping an extremely low balance isn't difficult...and I've gotten free flights and free hotel stays over the years as rewards for purchases.

The biggest thing is to pay off the balance each monthand not let it build up, that's when people get screwed. Anyway, if you get a card, get something that gives rewards.

that's an ignorant douchebag thing to say,the plan itself I want would be 5 dollars more than what I've paid on my previous phone the past 2 years. I have more than enough money for the phone. it's just that having to pay a deposit again is a pain in the ass,and the fact I have to pay 500 is ridiculous

Actually, it appeared to be an honest response to your dilemma. It seems to me that you believe that you should be able to just get an IPhone because you want it, even though you can't afford it.

The amount of money you 'have to pay' isn't ridiculous at all, it is the going market rate. If you can pay it, great; if not, too bad. Welcome to Adult life. It isn't always a series of get anything you want. You have to work hard, earn money, and buy the things you want/need. If the IPhone doesn't fit you budget, find another phone that does. Otherwise, buy the phone and enjoy it. Stop whining about the deposit stuff here.

Actually, it appeared to be an honest response to your dilemma. It seems to me that you believe that you should be able to just get an IPhone because you want it, even though you can't afford it.

The amount of money you 'have to pay' isn't ridiculous at all, it is the going market rate. If you can pay it, great; if not, too bad. Welcome to Adult life. It isn't always a series of get anything you want. You have to work hard, earn money, and buy the things you want/need. If the IPhone doesn't fit you budget, find another phone that does. Otherwise, buy the phone and enjoy it. Stop whining about the deposit stuff here.

spending 900 on a cell phone in a month is pretty damn outrageous, hence why I'm not going to do it.

I could,but I'm not.

I can separate my want from my need.

last month I paid for a nice new 1100 dollar laptop for school and a new 22inch 1080p LCD monitor for my desktop. my cash flow is not the issue. spending 900 on an iphone because of my lack of credit is the issue. He made an ignorant comment because he doesn't know my situation saying I can't afford something. furthermore it was a douchebag thing to say.

spending 900 on a cell phone in a month is pretty damn outrageous, hence why I'm not going to do it.

I could,but I'm not.

I can separate my want from my need.

Take it as a life lesson.

Good credit, people throw money at you even if you can't afford the aftermath.

No credit/bad credit, you have to have cash.

Build up your credit, don't get the iphone.

How come you don't want to continue with Verizon?

I have Verizon's Blackberry Storm and I like it, it's touch screen, has an MP3 player, internet, IM, Facebook, and I get all my emails forwarded to my phone. I've heard it's similar to the IPhone.

Maybe if you re-up with Verizon, you can get something like this and it would be a much cheaper option for you???

It should have nothing to do with an iphone. It is the plan and anyphone you choose would have the deposit. Save up the extra and suck it up. I had to do a $250 deposit to switch to sprint after being with cingular/att for 9 yrs in good standing.

How come you don't want to continue with Verizon?

I have Verizon's Blackberry Storm and I like it, it's touch screen, has an MP3 player, internet, IM, Facebook, and I get all my emails forwarded to my phone. I've heard it's similar to the IPhone.

Maybe if you re-up with Verizon, you can get something like this and it would be a much cheaper option for you???

the heart is set on the iphone.

I did look at the storm though,even used it before,but it just seemed like another phone to me.

the heart is set on the iphone.

I did look at the storm though,even used it before,but it just seemed like another phone to me.

Dude....you are 21. Your heart can wait.

Build up some credit and forget making dumb purchases. Don't fall into the gotta have it now mindset.

Dude....you are 21. Your heart can wait.

Build up some credit and forget making dumb purchases. Don't fall into the gotta have it now mindset.

like I said...I'm not paying that ludicrous amount. unless somebody makes 50K+ a year I'd call them an idiot for putting down 900 in a month on something like a phone.I'm not about to call myself an idiot...

I either won't get it for a while til my credit is built,or my parents will just get a family plan where I just buy it through them.

I want the iphone,but I certainly don't need to have one to live,and I certainly can't justify blowing 900 on a damn phone.

like I said...I'm not paying that ludicrous amount. unless somebody makes 50K+ a year I'd call them an idiot for putting down 900 in a month on something like a phone.I'm not about to call myself an idiot...

Reread this post in 5 years.

I don't care if you make a million a year, your an idiot to pay that much for an iphone.

Archived