Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

500 dollar deposit for an Iphone FFFFUUUU

chow184

I paid $200 for my iPhone with the 2 year contract from AT&T. That is the usual going rate for people in good standing with their credit. The fact that you have no credit history is almost as bad as having bad credit.

When AT&T pulls your credit history, they will not find your account with Verizon on there. They won't find anything in fact (with the data you have provided). A student loan will show up, but accounts like those from cell phone companies, cable companies and power companies will not. These are other bills that you may have been paying regularly and on time as well.

A car loan, credit card, mortgage and other things will show up. The credit bureaus aren't worried about other "normal" bills though. They won't help you at all.

At the end of the day, you'll have AT&T checking your credit. They'll find nothing (unfortunately) and will not give you the rate that they'd give others who are in "good standing". You are considered a risk to them, so they will want a security deposit.

My advice, as others have already stated, would be to actually get a credit card. Pay it off (or most of it) each month. This will need to be done for quite some time (at least a year) before most institutions will really recognize you.

If you have a $500 limit on your card that is continually paid off, they will consider you worthy of holding credit of $500. That's about as simple as you could possibly get it. You have a long ways ahead of you I'm afraid to say.

I paid $200 for my iPhone with the 2 year contract from AT&T. That is the usual going rate for people in good standing with their credit. The fact that you have no credit history is almost as bad as having bad credit.

When AT&T pulls your credit history, they will not find your account with Verizon on there. They won't find anything in fact (with the data you have provided). A student loan will show up, but accounts like those from cell phone companies, cable companies and power companies will not. These are other bills that you may have been paying regularly and on time as well.

A car loan, credit card, mortgage and other things will show up. The credit bureaus aren't worried about other "normal" bills though. They won't help you at all.

At the end of the day, you'll have AT&T checking your credit. They'll find nothing (unfortunately) and will not give you the rate that they'd give others who are in "good standing". You are considered a risk to them, so they will want a security deposit.

My advice, as others have already stated, would be to actually get a credit card. Pay it off (or most of it) each month. This will need to be done for quite some time (at least a year) before most institutions will really recognize you.

If you have a $500 limit on your card that is continually paid off, they will consider you worthy of holding credit of $500. That's about as simple as you could possibly get it. You have a long ways ahead of you I'm afraid to say.

yeah I'm just going to hope my parents switch to AT&T so I can work it out that way. Or see if one of them wants to get the phone and let me foot the bill. til then I'll be going month to month with verizon,and who knows,maybe they get the iphone next year?

a credit card isn't something I personally need or want,but I guess for my long term financial outlook it would be a wise investment.

I paid for my car in cash,and basically everything I buy comes out of my bank account. credit cards just never seemed smart to me,as I've never had a problem saving money and waiting.

G1 tried and fail to be the next iphone its not in the iphones league sorry. Iphone is a great piece of hardware and really the only thing looking to even compete with it is the Palm Pre and thats on sucky sprint.

That said I agree with the small personal loan reply that someone else recommended it works loans looks really good on credit reports, then follow that off with a credit card free intrest for a few months if ya can and work that for about a year. You should be looking pretty solid as far as credit goes.

I thought me getting my own apartment and paying all my bills on time would help but it did squat for my credit what got my credit moving in the right direction was my car loan.

so yeah I just tried to order an iphone and it says they need a 500 dollar deposit....

I'm 21 and havent really built much credit. I just completed a 2 year contract with verizon though. every bill paid on time. I also had to give them 400 dollars on a deposit because I had no credit AT ALL at the time.I still don't have any credit cards,don't want any either...

but after 2 years at&t wants 500....

**** my life.....

is there any way around this? can I call up and ***** my way out of it? I'm not paying half a grand to ****ing AT&T so they can make interest off of my money.

I can't really help you with the iPhone. I personally think they are a waste of money. But everyone should have at least one credit card, man. Its 2009. I don't know how anyone functions without one.

The biggest thing is to pay off the balance each monthand not let it build up, that's when people get screwed. Anyway, if you get a card, get something that gives rewards.

Ditto about rewards *and ALWAYS paying off your balance as long as you have an interest rate* but I strongly prefer no-annual fee cash rebate cards. that gives you complete flexibility with what you do with the reward, and there are some good ones.

I have one that gives me 2% on ALL travel (airline, hotel, rental, etc) and dinig. Every couple of months I pocket 50 bucks or more because of work travel, personal travel, and eating out so frequently.

spending 900 on a cell phone in a month is pretty damn outrageous, hence why I'm not going to do it.

I could,but I'm not.

I can separate my want from my need.

last month I paid for a nice new 1100 dollar laptop for school and a new 22inch 1080p LCD monitor for my desktop. my cash flow is not the issue. spending 900 on an iphone because of my lack of credit is the issue. He made an ignorant comment because he doesn't know my situation saying I can't afford something. furthermore it was a douchebag thing to say.

Sorry you took it that way. So you say cash flow isn't a problem for you yet you're complaining about the $500 deposit? And now you're toying with the idea of taking out a credit card just to get a cell phone?

For you, $900 is the buy-in into the iPhone game. You don't have it right now, so save up.

Besides, it's a "deposit" so you'll get your money back right?

Or why not browse on craigslist and find a phone. I see 20 listings on there now.

Why don't you save your money? Just saying, this society's "wants" for all these glitzy gadgets is just one of the reasons why our economy is in the dumper. I'm guessing you still live with your parents right? I mean if you were self sufficient you wouldn't be considering a "family plan" with your mom right?

Call me a douchebag, I really don't care. The poster who told you you can't afford it is prolly right. If it was easier you would have blown the cash already, so consider yourself lucky. Take a look at how Americans live on credit and adapt. You shouldn't need credit for a goddamn cell phone or mp3 player. You need credit for a home or a car or medical reasons.... If you can't pay for it now, you CAN'T afford it now. Oh and if you WON'T you prolly CAN'T.

Grow up and stop buying gadgets, and put money away for life's real problems. Or go get an Iphone and then just to make sure your heart is satisfied, go drop another couple grand on rims while you're out. :doh:

I bought the iPhone after having a Treo 755, and there is NO comparison. I don't do a lot of emailing on the phone (just checking) so the virtual keyboard, although a PITA, suits my needs just fine.

iPhone is the coolest device I have owned to date, and I am techie who has every gadget you can imagine.

that's an ignorant douchebag thing to say,the plan itself I want would be 5 dollars more than what I've paid on my previous phone the past 2 years. I have more than enough money for the phone. it's just that having to pay a deposit again is a pain in the ass,and the fact I have to pay 500 is ridiculous

Actually, that's an ignorant douchebag thing to say.

In terms of the deposit, AT&T heavily subsidizes the iPhone. Even though, you're paying $300 or so for the phone, it costs more than that for AT&T to purchase it.

It really isn't a good time to get an iPhone anyway. 4G is coming out in a year or two and the current ATT 3G network is being upgraded from 3.6Mbps to 7.2Mbps later this year.

Why would they want a deposit? I've never heard of giving deposits for cell phones. Don't you just buy the phone?

I'm confused, I've just never heard of this before.

As far as the iPhone is considered, I love mine!!!! I can't get enough of it, the apps, the music, the phone. I love it all, great features and everything!!!

:logo:

Why would they want a deposit? I've never heard of giving deposits for cell phones. Don't you just buy the phone?

I'm confused, I've just never heard of this before.

As far as the iPhone is considered, I love mine!!!! I can't get enough of it, the apps, the music, the phone. I love it all, great features and everything!!!

:logo:

they want a deposit for the plan,not the phone...

I thought this thread had died.

I'm just going to wait for now

Blackberry is better anyway.

Blackberry is pretty much a business phone. The apps are horrible, and so is the navigation of the phone itself. I set BB's up for clients on a regular, and they can't touch the cool factor of an iPhone. iPhone's and Treo's use activesync, to do the same on a BB you need BES -what a ripoff for small businesses and users. I put the BB in the same class as my old Treo.

Archived