Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Off-season suggestions

hogs87

I think we should just give Stephon Heyer a second chance at RT, because of the combination of his youth and experience, Draft Aaron Maybin at DE, and most importantly, split the carries between Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts. If we would've use those two backs as a thunder and lightning combination, it would have benefit the team, taking pressure of of Jason Campbell, lessoning the hits on Clinton Portis, Instead of giving CP darn near all the carries and causing him to slowly, but surely breakdown.

I like heyer, but splitting the carries I don't agree with. Portis seems to get better the more he plays.

In a given single game, I agree, but over the course of an entire season he tends to wear down some. I'm not sure Betts is the answer as a change-of-pace back; good backup in case of injury, but I don't think his running style compliments Portis's style, they are so similar.

I think we should just give Stephon Heyer a second chance at RT, because of the combination of his youth and experience, Draft Aaron Maybin at DE, and most importantly, split the carries between Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts. If we would've use those two backs as a thunder and lightning combination, it would have benefit the team, taking pressure of of Jason Campbell, lessoning the hits on Clinton Portis, Instead of giving CP darn near all the carries and causing him to slowly, but surely breakdown.

I agree with you bro, Heyer has shown potential and he's young.

Heyer has already played well at RT during the 07 season when Jansen went down.

Last year (08) he won the starting spot outright then got injured, but he finished the season strong shoring up the LT spot when Samuels went down.

Imo its a no-brainer to start Heyer at the RT and have Jansen as his back-up then draft a developmental OL that Bugel can coach up in the later rounds.

I also agree with the spiltting carries. Clinton's heavy work load wore him down, i figured since he was constantly dinged up that theu would give Betts more carries then Betts got hurt and for some reason this organization has no faith in Rock.

Although i don't consider Betts a 'change of pace' back, i think he's a better receiver.*(The pass that bounced of Clinton's hands and was intercepted sticks in my mind from the Steeler's game, i said to myself...Betts makes that catch)

I don't think that they should split carries 50-50 though.

I would look for 70-30 split in carries and Betts mixed in on 3rd downs.

Sorry but I disagree. Drafting a DE is an area of need by I believe the biggest concern should be on the O line. Even if Heyer does have upside, which i think he does. He's not a #1 pick who would come in a play almost immediately.

Even if you split carries between CP and Betts it won't help if the line has no depth and not much more talent than last season. Not only that , but no matter who the QB is they can't throw from their butt.

I think DE is something the skins need to address next season - and I think they bought that time by re-signing Wynn and Daniels. They are both stop gaps

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with you bro, Heyer has shown potential and he's young.

Heyer has already played well at RT during the 07 season when Jansen went down.

Last year (08) he won the starting spot outright then got injured, but he finished the season strong shoring up the LT spot when Samuels went down.

Imo its a no-brainer to start Heyer at the RT and have Jansen as his back-up then draft a developmental OL that Bugel can coach up in the later rounds.

I also agree with the spiltting carries. Clinton's heavy work load wore him down, i figured since he was constantly dinged up that theu would give Betts more carries then Betts got hurt and for some reason this organization has no faith in Rock.

Although i don't consider Betts a 'change of pace' back, i think he's a better receiver.*(The pass that bounced of Clinton's hands and was intercepted sticks in my mind from the Steeler's game, i said to myself...Betts makes that catch)

I don't think that they should split carries 50-50 though.

I would look for 70-30 split in carries and Betts mixed in on 3rd downs.

How about a 60-40 split in the carries?

Run Portis till he cant run anymore. Trade Betts, he has hands of butter, depending on how tight a game is. Didnt seem to step up last year when he had the opportunity. Portis ran better than Betts even while he was hurt. Portis does have alot of mileage, may need to get a top ranking RB in next years draft.

:saber::saber:Hail

Ummm ....., I don't think so.

Heyer pass blocking for JC in the Bears game. He is forever on my **** list.

208u3jo.png

damn, doesn't even have the courtesy to look at his qb getting ravaged and maimed.. very sad sight there.

However, I do think that we could do better than Heyer, but until then he is better than Jansen.

Marcus Mason could be that lightning type player if he makes the team. IMO, Mason, CP, and Betts could the Skins' version of earth, wind, and fire.

Mason doesn't have the speed to be the scat type of player that Bradshaw is for the Giants. Alridge or Dorsey have a better chance of filling that scat, compliment back to Portis than Betts, Cartwright, or Mason does. I'm more interested in seeing how Alridge and Dorsey do, we know what Mason can do, and we know Mason will be cut come late August.

I like Betts, is a good backup for Portis, but unfortunately he's not a good change of pace guy. Betts is a better receiver than Portis, but unfortunately Portis is better in every other phase of the game, and they have similar running styles.

Hopefully Aldridge or Dorsey will be able to fill that role, and take over for Cartwright on special teams.

Hopefully Zorn doesn't feed Portis the ball 25+ times a game, he got hurt during the second half of the season last year, and really we should be able to have a respectable enough passing game that teams aren't stopping us just by stacking the box.

I don't want to see Heyer at RT. I just don't think he is all that great. Maybe he's had some time to be more prepared but I'd rather see some of the guys we picked up in FA instead. I'd like to see a quick shifty back like Mason, Alridge, or Dorsey take Betts spot. I don't like Betts and would like to have a quick guy like Slaton or Johnson from the Titans. I think with Portis that would be an awesome combination.

Archived