Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I like Danny and Cerrato--kinda

hitmandm

Dockery is a classic example of how we chose NOT to pay him in his 4th year and then we lost him, but ended up overpaying by making that mistake.

We got Dock back for almost half of what we could have had him for the first time around. No idea what youre saying here.

Isn't it time to sign Monty and Golston to long term deals before we repeat the Dockery mistake with them?

Yes. But do they want to sign long term deals? This isnt a one way street guys. Should we pay them the $30M they think they deserve? From the players perspective they are waiting for the big season to get the big payday. Those guys havent done it yet. Do we overpay them without results because of potential?

And draft Ray Maualuga, and keep Rocky, and we won't have to sign a Fletcher or Marcus Washignton from somebody elses team next time.

Fletcher & Marcus Washington - 2 of the most successful free agent LB acquisitions in the last decade in the NFL.

Its a roster spot and nothing more. Whether its taken up by a 30M vet or a 3M rookie, I dont care, its Dannys money, not mine.

Danny is the man. Yes he overpays but it ain't my money. At least we do have a shot at the best in FA every year. He seems to know how to get around the cap also.

A lot of other teams are cheap and won't pay to keep/get guys. They made mistakes in the past (Deion,B.Smith,J.Taylor) but i think he's learned. We need picks from past mistakes and the Cutler thing was a no-brainer. Dude could be the best.

Yeah, and all this does what for us? Makes us marginally competitive every year because we keep trying to sign that "one player" to take us over the top?

Sorry, but I'd rather they follow the model set by San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis on how to win in the salary cap era. Home-grow your players, always have capable replacements for starters that ask for too much money, and always have solid depth. We will overpay for guys, sink 70 percent of our money into 7 percent of our roster, and have little or no depth to speak of. See our offensive line for the last couple years.

You MIGHT be able to sneak into the playoffs with that kind of management philosophy. But if you want to win championships, we're going to need an overhaul of both our front office AND our roster.

I agree. People just follow the "i hate Dan" trend like a bunch of sheep. Its human nature so I try not to hold it against them too bad.

Its the American Idol era. Everyone wants to be a critic.

Bah!

Your scenerios are right on. Trade down and grab JL33 ;)

I agree. People just follow the "i hate Dan" trend like a bunch of sheep. Its human nature so I try not to hold it against them too bad.

Its the American Idol era. Everyone wants to be a critic.

Bah!

Your scenerios are right on. Trade down and grab JL33 ;)

Trend????facts and history =truth

If you can't see it,you're blind.

Trend????facts and history =trueth

If you can't see it,you're blind.

trueth = misspelled

o·pin·ion (ə-pĭn'yən)

n.

A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

Bah!

I'm in management too and I have to say that one of the key abilities required for successful management has not yet been demonstrated by Snyderatto: the ability to learn from your mistakes and stop repeating them.

We seem to have hit a period in time where there have been better FO decisions, but I'm not sold on the fact that things have really changed - not yet anyway. I'd say that we'll know if they've really changed about a year from now.

Aside from that, I've viewed the FO in a negative light for some time since it should not take nine or ten years to identify and correct such mistakes. That alone casts a suspect light on The Danny's management skills.

The reason they are bad at business: They reward guys who have never done anything for them and shun guys who do more than they were ever asked to do. A smart businessman knows how to value his home grown guys. A smart businessman doesn't insist on getting Cutler even though all of his coaches are opposed to it. Do you understand how ridiculous that whole circus was? We were told all of last offseason to be patient with Campbell in this new system. Our owner is worse at listening to that than the fans are.

EDIT: And that's not even including the ridiculous moves they've done to shun other core Redskins. These are guys we should have valued but didn't. Instead, we picked up high priced replacements who underperformed.

I'm all for homegrown guys. People like Horton, Cooley, even Cartwright are the intangibles that make up the Redskins. On the other hand, valuing the homegrown guys is not necessarily what defines a smart "businessman," but rather an "Owner with good character." Redskins are an outstanding run business in that people are still paying ridiculous money to watch mediocrity.

Hail

I'm in management as well, and I'll say what I've believed about Dan Snyder for a long time now. The man is an absolute genius. Not in a football sense, but in a PR and business sense.

Let's look at the PR side: He controls media access to his team by purchasing media outlets around town and creating a Redskins radio network. He builds a media organization that handles the interviewing of players and the production of video press releases directly to the public through his website. And of course, he PURCHASES a popular message board site related to his team.

As far as the franchise itself, he runs the team the way he wants to run it. He wants to have his hands directly on the operational aspects of the team, even though he has absolutely no qualifications to do so, and even though conventional wisdom suggests he should follow the model set up by the more hands-off owners in the league. Despite this, and the fact that it obviously produces limited results on the field, his team continues to be one of the most profitable and valuable in all of sports.

Some fans may complain, and some people in the national media may criticize him, but his balance sheet is not suffering. As long as fans keep coming to the games, the Redskins continue to be a huge regional media draw, licensing revenues continue to flow his way, and gameday concessions continue to be profitable, he can assuage any anger fans may feel about his team's flat-line, mediocre record over the entire tenure of his ownership and create off-season, ticket-buying hype by playing Fantasy Football and signing an Albert Haynesworth. He's happy, the fans are happy, and life goes on...

I'm in management as well, and I'll say what I've believed about Dan Snyder for a long time now. The man is an absolute genius. Not in a football sense, but in a PR and business sense.

I agree with this.

he can assuage any anger fans may feel about his team's flat-line, mediocre record over the entire tenure of his ownership and create off-season, ticket-buying hype by playing Fantasy Football and signing an Albert Haynesworth. He's happy, the fans are happy, and life goes on...

I don't agree with this.

Danny is the man. Yes he overpays but it ain't my money. At least we do have a shot at the best in FA every year. He seems to know how to get around the cap also.

A lot of other teams are cheap and won't pay to keep/get guys. They made mistakes in the past (Deion,B.Smith,J.Taylor) but i think he's learned. We need picks from past mistakes and the Cutler thing was a no-brainer. Dude could be the best.

Snyder FAN...Vinny Meh

I don't agree with this.

I hear you. Maybe not all fans are happy. I think what I'm trying to say there is that while some fans may complain about the team's mediocre record year after year, demand still far outstrips supply in this situation. People are still coming to the games, season tickets are still in high demand, and the Redskins continue to be one of the most profitable franchises in all of sports. Dan Snyder is too good a businessman to ignore that and lose sight of the fact that people talk with their wallets as much as anything else. Until he sees a severe drop in attendance or interest based on the team's performance, he has very little incentive to change his ways.

At the end of the day all I care about is wins and losses. But Danny and Vinny don't seem to understand that throwing money to big name players each year doesn't equal wins. You don't need a team of high priced players to win consistently in the NFL, but obviously ten years is not enough time for those two idiots to understand that concept.

I hear you. Maybe not all fans are happy. I think what I'm trying to say there is that while some fans may complain about the team's mediocre record year after year, demand still far outstrips supply in this situation. People are still coming to the games, season tickets are still in high demand, and the Redskins continue to be one of the most profitable franchises in all of sports. Dan Snyder is too good a businessman to ignore that and lose sight of the fact that people talk with their wallets as much as anything else. Until he sees a severe drop in attendance or interest based on the team's performance, he has very little incentive to change his ways.

Which is exactly the problem. It is not Snyder. It is the fans. Fans like him.

We have non-football smart fans. We have fans that like entertainment. Getting Haynsworth is for entertainment. Having a growing football team takes time and patience. Something our fans (which Snyder is) can't wait for. Half of these new fans seem like they weren't even born here. At least thats my opinon.

Hey OP, there seems to be a change in trend from year's past to some degree, but there's really no evidence that Dan and Vinny are finally making this franchise a respectable one from an on-the-field perspective. Food service management doesn't count especially since they don't make you take grammar classes (wink wink nudge...:D )

note*typos may exist in this post :paranoid:

:saber:

I respect Danny for trying to hit the ground running when he initially bought the 'Skins but he relied on too heavily on too many free agents to bring their 'A' game. Trading away draft picks for restricted free agents really hurt. He needs to learn how to maximize leverage when dealing with other teams and think outside the box to catch up to the upper tier teams. Picking the low-hanging fruit in the draft should be a priority in rebuilding the core of the team, while the current veterans need to push the envelope, some only have a couple more years left.

In order to break the current paradigm that they're in, Danny should push for synergy between the scouting departments, coaching staff and front office personnel.

Turner/Robiskie were 18-14

Marty was 8-8

Spurrier was 12-18

Gibbs was 30-34

Zorn is 8-8

These head coaches, and their assistants, have brought different schemes, experience, and styles.

The roster has turned over almost constantly.

Snyderrato (except the one year Vinny worked for ESPN, having been fired by Marty and not hired by any other NFL team) is the one constant.

The pattern of mediocrity we've endured is not acceptable to me.

And I don't see how one could blame any person (s) other than Snyderrato.

If you want to blame Dan Snyder for hiring Gibbs and giving him the final say on the roster moves, that's fine. But, how does Vinny share the blame for Gibbs Two with Dan while Joe Gibbs doesn't get mentioned in your analysis?

If you want to blame Dan Snyder for hiring Gibbs and giving him the final say on the roster moves, that's fine. But, how does Vinny share the blame for Gibbs Two with Dan while Joe Gibbs doesn't get mentioned in your analysis?
Maybe because Gibbs wasn't with the Skins from 2000 to 2003, nor last year?

His analysis is spot on. Our W/L record has been consistently poor under Snyderato.

Gibbs was mentioned in my analysis insomuch as I mentioned him and his record, and how his record is more or less the same exact winning percentage that the Redskins have posted across Snyder's entire ownership tenure.

With respect to Gibbs' four years, I'll say that Vinny shares blame because A. He had a hand in building the poor roster that Gibbs inherited, and

B. Gibbs told us that while he had the final say on things, Vinny had a major role in player evaluation and acquisition.

I could go on, but the thread is about Snyderrato's performance, which I find unsatisfactory.

Very interesting points, however Gibbs was brought in for 2 reasons, 1 TO SELL TICKETS and 2 To get his son into coaching. I still don't understand the relationship between Cerrato and Snyder, Cerrato, was fired from San Francisco, was fired my Marty here and honestly what has he done that is so good here? His and Gibbs draft picks are suspect at best. It seems to me that since Snyder is such a Redskin fan, the one thing I thought he would do, he hasn't he hasn't gotten the General Manager back that made Gibbs 1.0 a success. Bobby Beathard! he should have had him on speed dial, and he should have gotten Ron Wolf too, heck he lives in Annapolis, but for all the big name players he has gotten here, where has that gotten us in the overall grand scheme of things? Fact is Snyder is a PR genious, that is proven by the profits shown every year, now can you imagine what might happen should he get a good product on the field? How much then will he charge? I mean he charged to allow us Training Camp, he makes money on these draft parties, meanwhile we are throwing away draft choices but still he makes money. So really as long as the redskins are profitable Danny won't change, there is no need too.

Yeah, I KINDA like winning and we don't win on the field. I do like the players they get like Clinton Portis and Albert Haynesworth. I loved Lavar Arrington. I loved Champ Bailey. If we could ever get a coaching staff to stay here more than two years then we'd probably start winning.

I am not a Danny and Vinny fan but i do like what they have done this year. I don't like what they did going after Cutler but I don't blame em, a Pro Bowl 25 year old QB any team with QB issues had to go after him. I like what they have done in FA this season and for some reason I think the draft will go well (just a hunch). Still I do not like the Skins not rewarding their homegrown players ( Clark, Evans, Pierce). At least Danny wants to spend money to win, that is better than a lot of owners out there. It would be nice to see what a coach could do here in more than just 2-3 years.

Archived