Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Mock Draft: OT and LBs the Rule, and Stafford Falls?

Veretax

I was playing with the ESPN Draft machine, and I've been working on a scenario where the Lions buck the perceived notion and draft Jason Smith instead of Stafford #1. Evaluating that the only team in the top 5 that might be looking at him could be Seattle, but they have other needs too, OT, WR, LB among them, if Seattle also passed on him, yikes! Bear in mind, after pick 13 things begin to get more uncertain for me. This has proven one thing to me, my first round mock (my first of the year) could be wrong because there is a lot of chance to trade pick, here take a look

What do you do if the draft goes something like this?

I've been toying with the idea that Certain things aren't going to happen. The Lions may need a QB, but what if they don't take Stafford, but Jason Smith instead...

Potential Mock:

1. Lions: Jason Smith OT, Baylor

2. Rams: Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia

3. Chiefs: Aaron Curry OLB, Wake Forest

4. Seahawks: Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri

5. Browns: Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech

6. Bengals: Clay Matthews OLB, USC (Could also take Cushing here, not sure which, but I think Cincy goes backer)

7. Raiders: Brian Cushing OLB, USC (could also as some are hinting at take a WR, Hakeem nicks ore Darius Heyward-bey.)

8. Jags: Rey Maualuga ILB, USC

9. Packers: Aaron Maybin DE/OLB, Penn state (Ted Thompson might Consider Raji here.)

10. 49ers: Matthew Stafford QB, Georgia (San Francisco won't know what to do if Stafford falls this far. I've read they are high on him, and if he isn't available I expect them to draft OL or CB, but I don't think they can pass up on Stafford, if they do...how far will he fall?)

11. Bills: James Laurinaitis ILB, Ohio State (This is a tough pick. Michael Oher and Andre Smith are also available, but buffalo gave up almsot 122 yards rushing a game last ayer ranking them 22nd overall. Their backers are old, and aside from perhaps at guard, I don't see anywhere else that's a sure fire 1st Round need.)

12. Broncos: BJ Raji, Boston College (Yeah I know Denver has to be licking their chops here, they have so many needs and several of the top tackles, and two of the best QBs in this years draft could be there. However, their defense was 29th in the league last year. the hardest position to fill in their 3-4 front is Nose Tackle, and if BJ Raji is there, the Broncos should grin all the way to the podium with this choice.)

13: Redskins: Mark Sanchez, QB USC

The redskins will be in a VERY odd situation here. DE Briak Orakpo is available at #13, but the top 3 Outside Linebackers are already gone off the board. The top two ILB are also gone. Both Andre Smith and Michael Oher are there at Tackle, USC QB Mark Sanchez is also available. Plus the top two Cornerbacks in Malcom Jenkins (Ohio State), and vontae Davis are there. Corner isn't a need though, WRs Percy Harvin, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Hakeem Nicks are also available, but I don't see Washington, drafting a WR here. personally in this situation, if the Redskins were forced to pick here you could flip a coin between Orakpo and Andre Smith, but if Sanchez is here, you could see him going. I would hope that in this situation the skins would be able to Trade down though. Question then is whether we trade Jason Campbell for more picks in this situation, or not should they draft Sanchez.)

14. Saints: Malcom Jenkins, CB Ohio State. (Saints were 23rd defending the pass last year, and while they also have a glaring whole at LB, the next best available could be Larry English from N. Illionis, but I'm thinking this is a high pick for him, so I think saints could go Cornerback.)

15. Texans: William Moore S, Missouri

16. Chargers: Michael Oher OG/OT, Texas

17. Jets: Hakeem Nicks WR, North Carolina (Behind Cotchery, the jets have noone of notable mention, and with Coles gone, the Jets despartely need a Big play receiver. Jets could decide to go after Percy Harvin here, but I think NIcks is the better Pro Prospect.)

18. Broncos: Tyson Jackson LDE, LSU (Denver could go a number of ways here, and you might not think they'd look D-Line after drafting BJ Raji, but this is a Broncos Defense that ranked 29th in Yards Per Game, 27th Rush Yards Per Game, 26th in Passing Yards Per Game. WIth the top Middle Linebackers gone, Denver could opt to draft Jackson here, or possibly corner Vontae Davis)

19. Bucs: Percy Harvin WR, Florida (Bucs could look toward Josh Freeman QB, Kansas State here, but their WR corp has been a rough spot for a while. Harvin gives them a speedy guy, and given all the Defensive players already off the board, I don't see how the Bucs can go Defense.)

20. Lions: Vontae Davis CB, Illinois (Lions might choose to go defensive line here with Brian Orakpo, Robert Ayers, or Peria Jerry, but given they took a top Tackle early, if Josh Freeman, Kansas State is there, and having passed on Stafford earlier, they can get a QB that maybe could sit a few games behind Culpepper or Stafford.)

21. Eagles: Brian Orakpo DE, Texas (Philly loves to take linemen in the draft, and Orakpo if he falls, would be a no brainer for the eagles who love to have solid line play.

22. VIkings: Eben Britten OT, Arizona

23. Patriots: Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina

24. Falcons: Peria Jerry DT, Ole Miss (Falcons need help in the center of their defense they were 25th stopping the run.)

25. Dolphins: D.J. Moore CB, Vanderbilt

26. Ravens: Sean Smith CB, Utah

27. Colts: Duke Robinson OG, Oklahoma

28. Eagles: Beanie Wells, RB Ohio State (This may seem an odd pick from the eagles, but their 3rd Down offense last year was anemic at best, they need a Strong Running back to spell and split time with Westbrook so that they can keep their best player healthy.)

29. Giants: Andre Smith OT, Alabama (Andre Smith may fall down the charts because of his skipping the combine and workouts, and I'm scratching my head on this one, because I think he should not fall this far, but with the depth at OT in this draft, the Giants will scoop him up and take him to the bank.)

30. Titans: Alex Mack C, Cal (Titans get their future franchise center here.)

31. Cards: Everette Brown DE/OLB, Florida State

32. Steelers: Max Unger C, Oregon (Pittsburgh gets a solid starter for Guard and later Center.)

So that's one possibility. Some surprises.

Beanie Wells, fell out of the top Round, Brandon Pettigrew, the top rated Tight End falls, Robert Ayers DE Tennesee falls, and Josh Freeman QB Kansas State.

I don't know if Stafford would fall that far. You don't know what team down the board might covet him and jump to get him. I also don't know for sure that the Skins would Take Sanchez if he fell over Oher or Andre Smith, or Orakpo, but the craziness of the last few weeks has made me feel that some of these players being touted if they don't get taken where everyone thinks could see a few guys drop.

Well, let me have it guys, am I adrift in the ocean? Or could you see a few of these guys falling further then conventional wisdom thinks (remember how far Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn, fell.)

I love the well thought out possibilities ... personally I don't see how you could pass on a guy like Orakpo or Andre Smith ... but at the same time we did just try and trade Jason Campbell.

This is really going to be interesting, that's about all I can predict right now. In my mind I want to wait and address QB next year when we have seen if JC is the man, but at the same time if he turns out not to be it would be nice to have another young prospect at QB. Though, picking at #13 usually means you need to have a player that can contribute fairly soon given the salary implications.

This mock is insane. Rey will not go higher than 12...ever....so many things I could say are wrong with this mock... this is much better

1. Detroit Lions- Matt Stafford (QB)

2. St. Louis Rams-Jason Smith (OT)

3. KC Chiefs-Aaron Curry (OLB)

4. Seattle Seahawks-Eugene Monroe (OT)

5. Cleveland Browns-BJ Raji (DT)…orakpo? wr?

6. Cincinnati Bengals-Brian Orakpo (DE)…Andre Smith?..NO RAJI (TANK)

7. Oakland Raiders-Jeremy Maclin (WR)

8. Jacksonville Jaguars- TRADE (DEN takes Mark Sanchez (QB))

9. GB Packers-Everette Brown (DE)

10. SF 49ers-Michael Crabtree (WR)

11. Buffalo Bills-Aaron Maybin (DE/OLB)

12. Denver Broncos- TRADE (JAC takes Vontae Davis (CB))

13. Washington Redskins-Andre Smith (OT)…checking out DEs of other rounds

I was playing with the ESPN Draft machine

Thanks for the link, also did it and came up with this after googling/reading for a while (assumes no trades, which will happen and change things!):

1 Detroit: Matthew Stafford QB, Georgia: Cannon, smart, huge need

2 St. Louis: Jason Smith OT, Baylor: Rams will try to clone him to replace entire OL

3 K.C.: Aaron Curry OLB, Wake Forest: New regime gets a beastly weapon on D

4 Seattle: Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech: Goes to maybe the worst WR corps in the NFL, even with TJ

5 Cleve.: Brian Orakpo DE, Texas: Brings a suitcase full of DPOY awards to a team in desperate need of somebody who can get to the QB

6 Cin.: Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia: Solid citizen will try to help shape up a horrid OL

7 Oakland: Darrius Heyward-Bey WR, Maryland: He's big, blazing fast and shouldn't go this high; in other words, the perfect Al Davis wideout

8 Jax: B.J. Raji DT, Boston College: BPA fills a glaring need with Stroud gone

9 GB: Aaron Maybin DE, Penn State: GB moving to 3-4 and he'll rush the QB from OLB

10 SF: Rey Maualuga ILB, USC: Must satisfy the Singletary man-crush; may play OLB until 32-year-old Takeo hangs up the Spikes

11 Buffalo: Everette Brown DE, Florida State: Could line up at DE or replace Crowell at OLB

12 Denver: Mark Sanchez QB, USC: Denver is lying, Orton is not 'the guy'; McDaniels gets "his" guy here

13 Skins: Andre Smith OT, Alabama: Already had attitude, now has chip on shoulder; will lock down an OL spot for a decade

14 N.O.: Malcolm Jenkins CB, Ohio State: Saints fill an annual need with the best CB in the draft

15 Hou.: Clay Matthews OLB, USC: Immediately initiates conference call with Rey-Rey to razz Cushing

16 SD: Michael Oher OT, Mississippi: Lucky Chargers catch sliding Oher to fill arguably biggest need, at RT

17 Jets: Knowshon Moreno RB, Georgia: Thomas Jones is heading for 31, Moreno too good to pass up despite arguably greater needs at WR and CB

18 Denver: Tyson Jackson DE, LSU: Broncos use the Bears' pick on yet another boom/bust DE

19 TB: Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri: Bucs continue trying to build a respectable WR corps, cross their fingers on QB Freeman for later

20 Detroit: Eben Britton OT, Arizona: That is one terrible OL. Yikes.

21 Phil.: Robert Ayers DE, Tennessee: That maniac DC gets another pass rusher; frack!

22 Minn.: Vontae Davis CB, Illinois: He'll need to be ready for starting duty by 2010 when Winfield leaves for the Skins as an uncapped-year FA ;)

23 N.E.: James Laurinaitis ILB, Ohio State: Bruschi is 35; here's his karmic twin

24 Atlanta: Peria Jerry DT, Mississippi: They need a DT and one of the better ones lands in their feathery little laps

25 Miami: Darius Butler CB, Connecticut: Parcells loves CBs and LBs in the first, so it's Butler or Cushing... coin toss says Butler

26 Balt.: Brian Cushing OLB, USC: Inexplicably sliding Cushing finally shuts up the Clay and Rey show, goes to the Ravens to get razzed by Ray

27 Indy: Chris Wells RB, Ohio State: Dynamic, BPA, will help awful run game (31st) that saw the two top backs each average 3.5 YPC... but they really wanted Peria Jerry

28 Phil.: Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma State: Stops sliding, fills need with L.J. Smith gone

29 Giants: Hakeem Nicks WR, North Carolina: They need playmakers at WR and hope he steps in for Plax

30 Tenn.: Alex Mack, C, Cal.: I had a WR going here until I realized future HOF'er Kevin Mawae is 38 (!)

31 Arizona: LeSean McCoy RB, Pittsburgh: Goodbye Edge, Hello LeSean

32 Pitt.: Max Unger C, Oregon: Can play 3 positions on their aging OL

I was listening to McShay and Kiper last week and they both agreed that Duke Robinson was going to be a 4th rd.

Hrms, Then they take some other Inside guy, or a Tackle, Duke Robinson was the one name that jumped out at me.

I love the well thought out possibilities ... personally I don't see how you could pass on a guy like Orakpo or Andre Smith ... but at the same time we did just try and trade Jason Campbell.

This is really going to be interesting, that's about all I can predict right now. In my mind I want to wait and address QB next year when we have seen if JC is the man, but at the same time if he turns out not to be it would be nice to have another young prospect at QB. Though, picking at #13 usually means you need to have a player that can contribute fairly soon given the salary implications.

I agree about Orakpo, and I think I may have had Rey a bit high too, but that's the fun part about mocking, going through and seeing how it looks over all. I also am not sure Matthews Goes that high either.

If its been a smoke screen and VC and DS are not interested in Sanchez I expect in this scenario a LB, Orakpo, or an OT (Oher or Andre)

This mock is insane. Rey will not go higher than 12...ever....so many things I could say are wrong with this mock... this is much better

1. Detroit Lions- Matt Stafford (QB)

2. St. Louis Rams-Jason Smith (OT)

3. KC Chiefs-Aaron Curry (OLB)

4. Seattle Seahawks-Eugene Monroe (OT)

5. Cleveland Browns-BJ Raji (DT)…orakpo? wr?

6. Cincinnati Bengals-Brian Orakpo (DE)…Andre Smith?..NO RAJI (TANK)

7. Oakland Raiders-Jeremy Maclin (WR)

8. Jacksonville Jaguars- TRADE (DEN takes Mark Sanchez (QB))

9. GB Packers-Everette Brown (DE)

10. SF 49ers-Michael Crabtree (WR)

11. Buffalo Bills-Aaron Maybin (DE/OLB)

12. Denver Broncos- TRADE (JAC takes Vontae Davis (CB))

13. Washington Redskins-Andre Smith (OT)…checking out DEs of other rounds

I don't think Cleveland Goes D, with Stalworth likely to be suspended, they need a WR badly, probably Crabtree, The bengals are tough to read, and if they trade Ocho Cinco that really makes it hard to predict. They did just Sign Raji (Cleveland has Shaun Rogers, so I think they have too much money in a DT), If Raji is taken I can see that Denver trade happening, but if Raji falls, I can see everyone from Jacksonvile, San Fran, and Green bay, as well as Denver being interested. No way he falls past 12 though. I'm not inclined to believe that Sanchez falls to 13, but we've seen stranger things happen with Quin, and Aaron Rodgers recently.

The one thing That I'm not sure about in my mock, is does Stafford fall that far if the Lions don't grab him. Might Seattle take him, and groom him behind Hasselbeck? I dunno. Seattle is a wild card there, but if they pass, he could fall as far as I've suggested, and if that happens, I'd expect teams to wait on Sanchez. You might see a trade up like the browns did for quinn to grab Sanchez if he falls past the Skins somehow.

Thanks for the link, also did it and came up with this after googling/reading for a while (assumes no trades, which will happen and change things!):

I agree that Crabtree might be the pick for Seattle, but I also think Maclain could be taken there as well. In my mind Cleveland could have gone Orakpo too. a Solid DE next to Rogers could help their push. Cincy would love to have a tackle fall that far, but they have other needs on the Defensive side too. A lot of people think Al Davis will take Heyward-Bey. The more I hear it the less I believe it. Al Davis is a wild card. JAcksonville I had Rey going there, but given they just lost stroud (just heard it this evening), Raji could be their pick, and I could also see Green bay going OT or OLB.) I'm not sure about San Fran, they are the one team that's hard to project given little known about singletary. Buffalo clearly needs defense, and I agree Denver could end up taking Sanchez (barring a trade) especially if Raji isn't there. They might also invest in a tailback, given their woes last year. From the picks you've said, I'd agree the Skins if they stand pat should take Andre Smith.

I agree with the most of your picks from there down except the following:

17 Jets: Knowshon Moreno RB, Georgia: Thomas Jones is 31, just about done

The Jets need help in the Secondary, D-Line and WR with Coles gone they have one major WR from last year

I also agree phily takes another D-lineman, the only question is which one.

I sincerely doubt Cushing falls to baltimore, that seems too far for him to fall.

26 Balt.: Brian Cushing OLB, USC: Cushing finally shuts up the Clay and Rey show, goes to the Ravens to get razzed by Ray

And Indy? They need DT, Offensive Line, and a WR more than a Running Back I think.

27 Indy: Chris Wells RB, Ohio State: Dynamic, BPA, plus may help awful run game... but they really wanted Peria Jerry

No way phily takes a tight end at 28, they probably take an OL, RB, or Safety.

28 Phil.: Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma State: Stops sliding, fills need

Giants might go WR, but not Harvin, he's too short, Nicks or Kenny Britt, more than likely they go OL, or LB.

29 Giants: Percy Harvin WR, Florida: They hope he steps in for Plax

Tennesee needs an offensive Center, badly.

30 Tenn.: Hakeem Nicks WR, North Carolina: They need playmakers at WR

Otherwise I have no problem with your picks ;)

I agree with the OP in that Detroit will go with a safer pick at #1 and take an OT, following Miami's formula.

1 Detroit: Jason Smith

2 St. Louis: Eugene Monroe

3 Kansas City: Aaron Curry

4 Seattle: B.J. Raji (Haven't seen this pick on another mock draft, but I think with the signing of Houshmanzadeh, Seattle wants to shore up its defense so that it can put a stop to Arizona's high powered offense).

5 Cleveland: Malcolm Jenkins (Going against the grain here, but I think Mangini is going to be wary of workout warriors after being burnt by Vernon Ghoulston, and it could be argued Cleveland's need for secondary help outweighs their need for front 7 help).

6 Cincinnati: Andre Smith

7 Oakland: Michael Crabtree

8 Jacksonville: Jeremy Maclin

9 Green Bay: Brian Orakpo

10 San Francisco: Mark Sanchez (Who honestly believes that the San Fran braintrust is comfortable with just Hill and Smith next season? Singletary gets a young QB to start fresh with who is a good decision maker and fits the kind of offense he wants his team to have)

11 Buffalo: Everette Brown

12 Denver: Matthew Stafford (They get another big armed SEC QB to replace the big armed SEC QB they just traded away)

13 Washington: Michael Oher (Here's hoping they take the best OT on the board).

14 New Orleans: Vontae Davis

15 Houston: Clay Matthews

16 San Diego: Tyson Jackson (He fills an immediate need after SD let go of Olshansky).

17 New York (Jets): Knowshon Moreno

18 Denver: Aaron Maybin

19 Tampa Bay: Robert Ayers

20 Detroit: Josh Freeman (Freeman has the tools, but is raw. Could sit behind Culpepper for a year or two while he is groomed to be the future starter).

21 Philadelphia: Brandon Pettigrew

22 Minnesota: Percy Harvin (Minnesota needs another a playmaker aside from Adrian Peterson).

23 New England: Rey Maualuga (A match made in heaven).

24 Atlanta: Brian Cushing

25 Miami: Clint Sintim (A proven 3-4 Linebacker that Parcells would love).

26 Baltimore: Darrius Heyward-Bey

27 Indianapolis: Peria Jerry

28 Philadelphia: Chris Wells

29 New York (Giants): Hakeem Nicks

30 Tennessee: Darius Butler (Behind Cortland Finnegan, the Titans don't have much).

31 Arizona: Eben Britton (After seeing Mike Gandy get destroyed in the Super Bowl, it's obvious the Cardinals need an upgrade at LT).

32 Pittsburgh: Alex Mack

This is the worst mock draft I have seen so far. If this is the way the draft goes down I hope the Skins trade down with maybe Detroit and get Orakpo. But there is no way in the world Orakpo falls to 21, Raja at 10, Clay Matthews a top 10 player, the top 4 OTs go past the first 13 picks, and you say Chris Wells fall outta the 1st round but you also have the Iggles picking them in the 1st round?????????????? I guarentee the Skins would draft 4 other players at least that were still on your board when we picked.

This is the worst mock draft I have seen so far. If this is the way the draft goes down I hope the Skins trade down with maybe Detroit and get Orakpo. But there is no way in the world Orakpo falls to 21, Raja at 10, Clay Matthews a top 10 player, the top 4 OTs go past the first 13 picks, and you say Chris Wells fall outta the 1st round but you also have the Iggles picking them in the 1st round?????????????? I guarentee the Skins would draft 4 other players at least that were still on your board when we picked.

Yeah, I thought I corrected that, its Moreno that falls out of the 1st Round.

Whoever started this mock got hold of some bad tuna.

It's just a theory, it has nothing to do with tuna, and if you have a criticism or comment, than make a constructive one rather than saying derogatory things about the OP (me). Given there are still two weeks at least before the draft, it is highly likely that some more trading will go down that will change drastically how the draft goes. I think this year could be a year with multiple trades in the first round.

Sanchez at #13 with orakpo sitting there for the taking?

I would turn in my fan card if that happened.

When was the last time the Skins drafted a DE in the First Round? Its been so long I can't remember, plus, as I said, if this talk about Sanchez is a bluff, and they are satisified with JC, then Andre Smith or Orakpo could go off the board then I think.

We need to go OT in the first round and fill the DE spot in later rounds. The OT spot needs to be addressed early. If Jason is going to be here this year and beyond, he needs a good OT on both sides of the center. Time in the pocket is going to be his friend this year.

to the op, I just don't think we could pass on not one, but two of the top four ot if the opportunity came up. Not this time. If anything, last year showed (hopefully) that OL play and depth wore down as year went on and this is a great year to improve that

Archived