Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Mock Draft: OT and LBs the Rule, and Stafford Falls?

Veretax

I just took a glance, but the things that struck me as odd were,

Cushing and mathews going top 7. Last time I read something on them it was that they had tested positive for steroids at the combine ( did I miss a retraction? ). Even before that I thought of them as mid 1st rounders at best.

William moore in the middle of the first round. When I read this I went back up top and checked how old the thread was ( maybe I was reading an old thread w/ a new bump?) Everything I'm reading on Moore has him falling far out of the 1st round.

Finally, at 12 the broncos take someone else, but on the commentary it cites a need for takle. Between Clady and Harris, I doubt the Broncos will take a tackle on day 1 for quite a few years.

We need to go OT in the first round and fill the DE spot in later rounds. The OT spot needs to be addressed early. If Jason is going to be here this year and beyond, he needs a good OT on both sides of the center. Time in the pocket is going to be his friend this year.

I think its a good idea to draft an OT now so if he's not ready we still have Jansen and Heyere on Roster with Starting Experience. That way if JC is or is not the answer at least we have our Oline moving forward. Problem is I think in this scenario I posted, a lot of Strange and odd ball things happen, and I read something today that made me change it at many positions. That being Seattle's interest in Sanchez. (unless that's a smoke screen.)

to the op, I just don't think we could pass on not one, but two of the top four ot if the opportunity came up. Not this time. If anything, last year showed (hopefully) that OL play and depth wore down as year went on and this is a great year to improve that

If Andre Smith is there I like him better than Oher. for some reason I'm expecting Oher to fall to the middle of the round. In any case, after hearing news that the Seahawks may be interested in Sanchez (instead of a LB or a WR, go figure, but with a new headcoach, and 1 year left on Hasselbech's contract it is conceivable.)

What do think about this second Scenario. In this one, Seahawks take Sanchez, Raiders take Britton (but I'm not 100% sold that would be the Tackle they take, could be oher, but I read a blurb taht said the Raiders were interested in Britton somewhere last week.), Jags take Raji, and now the draft is different from there down.

1. Lions: Jason Smith OT, Baylor

2. Rams: Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia

3. Chiefs: Aaron curry OLB, Wake Forest

4. Seahawks: Mark Sanchez QB, USC

5. Browns: Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech

6. Bengals: Andre Smith OT, Alabama

7. Raiders: Eben Britton OT, Arizona

8. Jags: B.J. Raji NT, Boston College

9. Packers: Brian Orakpo DE, Texas

10. 49ers: Matthew Stafford QB, Georgia (if they are not sold on their Qb prospects, or Rey Maualuga ILB, USC)

11. Bills: Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma State

12. Broncos: Rey Maualuga ILB, USC

13. Skins: Brian Cushing OLB, USC

(This is a bit of a nightmare situation for Washington, do they take a LB? or some other position? do they reach on an OT (Michael Oher or someone else or a DE?) Plus there aren't many picks there worth trading up for.)

14. Saints: Malcolm Jenkins CB, Ohio State

15. Texans: James Lauriniatus, ILB Ohio State

16. Chargers: Michael Oher OT, Ole Miss

17. Jets: Knowshon Moreno RB, Georgia (Jets are a hard pick. With most of the WRs still on the board, do they go WR, or Linebacker? no tackle is worth this pick, nor guard. Given this scenario, they could gO WR, but if they aren't sold on Clemens then Josh Freeman could be the pick, but given who is left, I think Knowshon Moreno is the best pick available.))

18. Broncos: Aaron Maybin DE, Penn State (Denver could have their pick of DE in Maybin, or Ayers here, could go Corner, or Running back

19. Tampa Bay: Josh Freeman QB, Kansas State (I tried to find any other player worth taking here. Tampa could use a solid DT, or a WR, with so many of the later on the board, and uncertainty at the QB position, the new coach may draft Freeman (the O-Coord coached freeman at KSU his freshman year.)

20. Lions: Vontae Davis CB, Illinois (Detroit might think about an OLB or DE here, but their pass defense was 27th in the League Last year, but was also last in rushing last year. Given the players already off the board, Detroit will have to decide whether to draft a Backer, End, or Corner, but I think the best player available here is at corner.)

21. Eagles: Chris 'Beanie' Wells RB, Ohio State (not much to pick here, and while my gut thinks phily might trade up to try and get an Olineman, that or they could draft DL, I'm not sold on what's available here for the eagles, and they need a #2 RB bad.)

22. Vikings: Tyson Jackson DE, LSU

23. Pats: William Moore S, Missouri

24. Falcons: Clay Matthews OLB, USC

25. Dolphins: Robert Ayers DE, Tennessee

26. Ravens: Jeremy Maclin WR, Mizzou

27. Colts: Peria Jerry DT, Ole Miss

28. Eagles: Hakeem Nicks WR, UNC

29. Giants: Clint Sintim OLB, Virginia

30. Titans: Alex Mack C, Cal

31. Cards: Everette Brown DE, Florida State

32. Steelers: Max Unger C, Oregon

I think this draft is better than the first one I did, albeit, Detroit could still end up taking stafford, and then trade up for the Tackle they want.

All reports have the Lions taking Stafford and even moreso the last few days.

And I'd not fault them if they did make that move, however, the Lions are several years away from being ready, and their O-line was Awful last year. Justin Smith would solidify what has been a weakness for far too long, and maybe just maybe with a better O-line, Stanton, or Culpepper stand up and prove servicable for the year, especially given next year's QBs are likely better than this years as far as skill and experience go. Also, Detroit reportedly isn't happy about the $$$ they will need to shell out for the #1 pick. another reason they could go OT instead of QB.

Doesn't mean they will, but a lot can happen in the next two weeks or so.

This mock seriously made me LOL. Nice effort though.

I think the Lions take Monroe before they take Smith. Safer pick and after all the disasters that's the route they'll go.

But they'll take Stafford of course. I mean let's be real, Mayhew was Millen's sidekick so it's not exactly like it's a true changing of the guard. They'll **** it up.

And I'd not fault them if they did make that move, however, the Lions are several years away from being ready, and their O-line was Awful last year. Justin Smith would solidify what has been a weakness for far too long, and maybe just maybe with a better O-line, Stanton, or Culpepper stand up and prove servicable for the year, especially given next year's QBs are likely better than this years as far as skill and experience go. Also, Detroit reportedly isn't happy about the $$$ they will need to shell out for the #1 pick. another reason they could go OT instead of QB.

Doesn't mean they will, but a lot can happen in the next two weeks or so.

I pointed out the very same thing in my mock draft, but you have to go with the logical conclusions that no one is going to trade UP to the #1 slot, their FO isn't bright enough to understand that they NEED to build the team around O and D lineman and that they NEED to take a face of the franchise QB with this pick.

I pointed out the very same thing in my mock draft, but you have to go with the logical conclusions that no one is going to trade UP to the #1 slot, their FO isn't bright enough to understand that they NEED to build the team around O and D lineman and that they NEED to take a face of the franchise QB with this pick.

Hence why I suggest they take a Tackle instead of a QB. A Tackle a good one can last 13 years. Not all QBs last that long.

Well I did another mock today, and today I'm thinking that maybe the rumor of the Seahawks taking sanchez is correct, but what happens if both stafford and he are gone early, well see for yourself:

Today I'm taking a more sensible look to the draft, the first three picks are basically the same as most other Mocks:

1. Lions: Matt Stafford QB, Georgia

2. Rams: Jason Smith OT, Baylor

3. Chiefs: Aaron Curry OLB, Wake Forest

4. Seahawks: Mark Sanchez QB, USC

5. Browns: Brian Orakpo DE, Texas

6. Bengals: Brian Cushing OLB, USC (Thought about Eugene Monroe here, but I'm thinking that Marvin lewis and company will want a player they can take advantage of week one)

7. Raiders: Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech (Al Davis will laugh all the way to the podium with this one, now his team will have drafted the top rated QB, RB, and WR in the last 3 of 4 drafts.)

8. Jags: Rey Maualuga ILB, USC (Jags might consider BJ Raji here, but I think Linebacker is a bigger hole for them than DT.)

9. Packers: Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia (Ted Thompson always takes the best player available, and if its Tackle Eugene Monroe there is no question here.)

10. 49ers: Malcom Jenkins CB, Ohio State (If Rey Maualuga is here, SF might consider him better than Jenkins.)

11. Bills: James Laurinaitis ILB, Ohio State (The Bills have a lot of needs in the interior, and if they don't trade down, I expect them to wait till round 2 to draft a Guard or tight End. They will draft defense, possibly Laurinaitis who can play inside or at sam linebacker)

12. Broncos: B.J. Raji NT, BostoN College (Denver can't believe their luck if they are sitting here and Raji falls to them.)

13. Skins: Andre Smith OT, Alabama

(So who do the skins take here, BPA are Andre Smith and Michael Oher at OT, Aaron Maybin, Robret Ayers at DE, Clay Matthews, Paul Kruger or Clint Sintim at OLB, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Darrius Heyward-Brey, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt at WR, Knowshon Moreno, Chris wells, RB, Alex Mack C/G, Vontae Davis, Darius Butler, Corner. I don't think the value is there at Corner or Safety, WR could be tempting, but the skins have more glaring needs at DE, OLB, and OT. I think they go OT here.

14. Saints: Clay matthews OLB, USC (This could be a tricky pick for the Saints, they need help at backer, badly, and Cushing is one of the most versatile of the linebackers this year, but does he fit in Gregg Williams scheme is questionable.)

15. Texans: Paul Kruger OLB, Utah (Texans are in a bind here as well, who exactly is the better fit for this unit is a guess to me, I put down DE

16. Chargers: Michael Oher OT, Ole Miss (I think charges will jump at the chance to take oher here.)

17. Jets: Vontae Davis CB, Illinois

18. Broncos: Aaron Maybin DE, Penn State (Denver could have their pick of the remaining DE here, or could draft a Running back)

19. Tampa Bay: Josh Freeman Kansas State (Tampa has a lot of needs, but unless Josh Johnson is the answer, they need a prospect at QB.)

20. Lions: Ebben Britton OT, Arizona (Lions could have their pick between DE, LB, and OT.)

21. Eagles: William Beatty, OT Connecticut (Phily just can't get over themselves taking lineman, and Ayers has the size to be a good one, but they also need a new tackle to take the place of Tre thomas unless they have other plans, they have to take Beatty here or the Vikes could snatch him up.)

22. Vikings: Tyson Jackson DE, LSU (Vikings take Ayers to help add depth opposite Jared Allen.)

23. Pats: Sean Smith, DB, Utah

24. Falcons: Peria Jerry DT, Ole Miss (Falcons draft Jerry to be the run stopping DT int heir rotation.)

25. Dolphins: Clint Sintim OLB, Virginia (Dolphins need to draft an OLB to groom behind Joey porter.)

26. Ravens: Darrius Heyward-Bey WR, Maryland (ravens have their pick of Maclin, Harvin, Heyward Bey, or Nicks here, but I think Bey has the better size for the kind of WR I think the ravens need in a posession guy, if not then harvin or Maclin could be the guy.)

27. Colts: Percy HArvin WR, Florida (Colts need a speedy and good route running WR to replace marvin harrison, and that's why Harvin is taken over maclin.)

28. Eagles: Chris Wells RB, Ohio State(Eagles could really surprise people here at 28 with what's available with their OT spot filled, they can look at DE with Robert Ayers, WR with Jeremy Maclin or Hakeem Nicks, or could draft a Running Back or tight End here. I think Phily thinks they are okay with their top TE right no so drafting another starter makes no sense, I also think that while phily likes their lineman, they don't necessarily have to draft one here, I think they address their depth at eitheR WR or RB here.)

29. Giants: Kenny Britt WR, Rutgers (Giants are in a tough spot here, they need a SLB but the value isn't there, and they could use a tackle, but again value not there, so what do they do. Drafting a RB makes no sense at this point, nor does corner or defensive end where the Giants re stacked, so maybe they look to fill in their wholes at WR by drafing Hakeem Nicks or Kenny Britt I picked Britt because he's taller than Nicks, and the idea here is to maybe replace Plaxico Burress. If I thought Nicks could jump he'd be the pick)

30. Titans: Alex Mack C, Cal (strange that Titans are seeming to end up with mack in all my mocks.)

31. Cards: Robert Ayers DE, Tennessee(Zona could draft moreno here to replace the Edge, or possibly Robertayers or Evertt Brown. If they traded Boldin, I'd expec tthem to take Jeremy Maclin or Hakeem Nicks here.)

32. Steelers: Max Unger G/C (Steelers need to start getting young in their interior and fast, and the value isn't here at tackle or guard.)

I couldn't believe Monroe would fall that far, he could fall even further possibly if in this scenario the packers feel they are ready to go with Tauscher this year. (And I think they might be, but Ted thompson tends to like to draft the BPA, and I think Monroe is it here.) I could also see ap possibility of him falling where Smith does to St Louis or Kansas City, which will move Curry down to Cincy probably. The lower end of the draft in the first round is majorly thrown off if this happens, but the Skins would have their pick of OT.

Archived