Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clay Matthews at #13?

artmonkforHOF

For the longest time, I was thinking #13 was too high to pick Clay Matthews, but the more i am looking into it, I think it might be a possibility.

Right now, I think the guys we should be looking at (read, good players who have a shot of being available at #13) are in no particular order are.

Robert Ayers DE

Brian Cushing LB

Micheal Oher OT

Andre Smith OT

Rey Mauluga MLB

Clay Matthews OLB

Everett Brown DE

Tyson Jackson DE

For the tackles, I am not sold on either of them. I think Oher has too much hype, and Smith just looks like he doesn't care. I think it is a big risk taking either of those guys at #13. I like Ayers at DE, but I do not think people project him as a top 15 pick, and Brown & Jackson have yet to impress me from what I have seen.

Now we are down to the USC LB's. I love Rey, but we have more of a pressing need at OLB than MLB. Fletcher is as solid of a guy as you can find at MLB, no need to start messing with that now.

So it's down to the two OLB's, Clay & Cushing. I would take Clay over Cushing anyday of the week. Forget measurables, Clay comes from what soem people might argue as the most productive family in pro football the Matthews, everyone knows Bruce, the O lineman from the Oilers-who started the most games of any player (non kicker), but many forget clay Sr. (4 years pro in 1950's) and Clay Jr., LB for the Browns who started the 3rd most games all time of any non kicker. both brothers played 19 seasons. The clay in the draft is Clay III, son of Clay, nephew of Bruce.

I just don't think you can pass up on a guy who might end up being a cornerstone of your defense for the next 15+ years. He might not be the best OLB in the game, but I just don't think you pass up a chance to get a guy who could be that reliable.

Maybe Ayers, Jackson or Brown turn into studs, and maybe they turn into busts, but I just don't see a Matthews kid falling flat. If anything, I like that this kid might have the easiest adjustment to the NFL with his family supporting him, instead of worrying how a $10mill signing bonus will affect a kid who grew up dirt poor.

So what do ES'ers think? do you take Clay at #13, even with 2 OT and maybe 2 good DE's on the board? what if the OT's are gone, would you go with Clay then?

ok maybe I should clarify: assuming we do not trade for Cutler, does anyone think Clay Matthews would be a good pick at #13?

I say possible, depending on what DE, & OT are left.

I say 100% if the big 4 OT are gone.

I say HELL YA! if the big 4 and Brown & Ayers are gone as well.

ok maybe I should clarify: assuming we do not trade for Cutler, does anyone think Clay Matthews would be a good pick at #13?

I say possible, depending on what DE, & OT are left.

I say 100% if the big 4 OT are gone.

I say HELL YA! if the big 4 and Brown & Ayers are gone as well.

The common concensus is there's little to no hope Oher or Smith will be there at 13.

I'd personally take Mauluga if it came down to LB's, and mix and match for the interim. He's better quality, if not in the LB position of most need.

Hail.

Maualuga's bust factor scares NFL teams

By Nolan Nawrocki

April 1, 2009

Editor’s note: Check back later today for an update on USC’s pro-day workout.

Entering the season, scouts were enthralled with this year’s MLB class, featuring Ohio State’s James Laurinaitis, USC’s Rey Maualuga and LSU’s Darry Beckwith, all of whom received high marks from evaluators.

However, as the season progressed, concerns were brought to the forefront. Maualuga began missing too many tackles, Laurinaitis stayed blocked too long and Beckwith could not find the football.

With a chance to redeem themselves at the NFL Scouting Combine, none of them stood out, as Maualuga pulled out of the workout with a hamstring injury suffered running his first 40-yard dash. On Wednesday, Maualuga has another chance to prove himself at USC's highly anticipated pro-day workout, but the way we hear it, nothing Maualuga does will erase the concerns teams have about him on tape and off the field.

“Chart how many times he is on the ground,” one longtime evaluator said, “and you will see why I think he will always struggle in the pros. He had so much talent around him — that defense may be as talented as I’ve ever seen in college. It covers up a lot of mistakes.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/wwhi040109a.htm

really depends on who is available at the tackle and DE positions

-I really dont think we will take DE, with our #13 pick.

-What needs to be done, is to take the best avalible player at either the O-Line, or LB positions at #13. Then with our next pick take the opposite position . Later in the draft once we get a O-Line, and LB with our first 2 picks we can adress DE, because thouse postions need to be adressed the worst of the 3. Hopfully we can work something out to get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. By trading away later picks and one from next year.

Maualuga's bust factor scares NFL teams

“Chart how many times he is on the ground,” one longtime evaluator said, “and you will see why I think he will always struggle in the pros. He had so much talent around him — that defense may be as talented as I’ve ever seen in college. It covers up a lot of mistakes.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/wwhi040109a.htm

I was just thinking about one of the only USC games I watched when they lost to Oregon State. I remember thinking about how much bigger the USC players were on defense, especially in the Secondary and at Linebacker. That team as a whole was huge compared to OSU and yet they got run over all day. I know that game wasn't the norm for USC, but it made me think a lot about their linebackers.

I just want to say this seems like a very strong draft class. I'm amazed at the number of people that the Redskins could use. I think it's actually impossible that every potential need player could be drafted before it's out turn to pick and I'm extremely glad to see that.

I like Matthews just not at #13. I would take Cushing though. Andre Smith scares me, this dude has not been terribly bright, not to mention his undulating man boobs gave me nightmares. Oher might be good. There are possibilities based on need. If we traded back Matthews would be a great pickup, but before you get excited about pedigree, I have two words for you: Brian Griese

For the longest time, I was thinking #13 was too high to pick Clay Matthews, but the more i am looking into it, I think it might be a possibility.

Right now, I think the guys we should be looking at (read, good players who have a shot of being available at #13) are in no particular order are.

Robert Ayers DE

Brian Cushing LB

Micheal Oher OT

Andre Smith OT

Rey Mauluga MLB

Clay Matthews OLB

Everett Brown DE

Tyson Jackson DE

For the tackles, I am not sold on either of them. I think Oher has too much hype, and Smith just looks like he doesn't care. I think it is a big risk taking either of those guys at #13. I like Ayers at DE, but I do not think people project him as a top 15 pick, and Brown & Jackson have yet to impress me from what I have seen.

Now we are down to the USC LB's. I love Rey, but we have more of a pressing need at OLB than MLB. Fletcher is as solid of a guy as you can find at MLB, no need to start messing with that now.

So it's down to the two OLB's, Clay & Cushing. I would take Clay over Cushing anyday of the week.

I agree with everything you say. Almost 100%

The tackles, while good, seem to be too much of a risk for a first rounder. We got Heyer in the 7th, and I think we should be able to find similar quality (or better) later in the draft.

Rey has been my favorite prospect for the past few years. I would be more than happy with the Skins picking him and having him play SLB, with a similar style to Marcus W. But I also think HB Blades will be a perfect replacement for Fletcher when he's ready. He slumped at SLB last year, but he really is strictly an MLB. So I'd want Rey to switch and stay at the strong side.

I think Cushing is overrated.

But Clay has recently jumped into the lead as my top pick. His pro day today was great, silencing some critics that said he struggled in coverage, had poor hands, and rigid hips (all from draft countdown). I love Chris Horton, and the way that we brought him down to the line a lot last year. The idea of Clay and Horton playing on the same side gives me shivers to schemes we could run.

Most draft boards I've seen have him going around 23 to the Pats. But I feel like he keeps climbing the boards, and I would be worried about trading down to take him later. I know it's bad to go into a draft with a mindset towards one player, but I'm voting for Clay at #13 anyways.

Archived