Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Campbell: "I want to stay with 'Skins"

x96bryan10

I see nothing to indicate that will be the case. We have no young O linemen, no young D linemen, an old RB...

The only thing that could make us be a perennial contender would be is if Jason turns into a stud QB.

You don't want a bunch of young OL and DL just for the sake of them being young, you want a solid mix of veterans and young guys on the rise. Go look at the ages of the OL & DL on all of the successful teams in the league and tell me what you find.

If he did and they did say that, it sure as hell didn't show on the field. The Offense played with about zero fire.

The way you guys describe it, we have zero talent anywhere except for two guys on the Offense. I think everyone knows that's not the case. If it takes so much talent for Campbell to get anything done, then maybe he's the one who needs to be questioned.

I honestly think everyone on this board overvalues our whole team, but thats a whole different discussion.

Who knows maybe JC is the one who needs to be questioned......we are going to find out. But im damn sure going to be rooting for him, and the redskins as a team to do well. Unlike some people on this site...

and he had overall better reg season numbers than the QB that won the Super Bowl, except for only 4 fewer TD's and 56 fewer yards

Cmon Bubba-

You cant seriously believe Jason is in the same class as Big Ben, can you???

And how about wins, didnt Ben have 4 more regular season wins then Jason?? ;)

I am sorry to see you say that Jason had 4 fewer Td''s then Ben, because with those 4 tds placed at the right time, we would have definitly been in the playoffs.

JC is going to progress this year......if he doesnt fine hes done. But until then....support our quarterback!

You can criticize and still support him. I hope JC blows everyone out of the water and I'll be rooting for him if he is still a Redskin this season. I'm not going to ignore the issues though because of that. The sad part is, everyone's excuse for him was the OL, but they say the OL was fine in the first 8 games.

Look at something here....

Through the first 8 games, our offense average 20.6 ppg.

Even at that, we would've ranked 24th in the league for the season. That's taking away the 8 games that everyone is "blaming" the OL for.

Through those games, CP had 944 yards or 118 ypg (tops of the league).

Go ahead, blame the OL for the second half of the season, but who will you blame for the lack of productivity on offense for the first half?

JC is a rare breed in the NFL right now--a player that doesn't talk trash, doesn't whine to the media, doesn't make contract demands, doesn't throw his teammates under the bus, doesn't pout like a baby, and simply focuses on doing his job better and helping the team win. I don't understand why he draws so much bitterness and anger from the ES crowd. Root for the guy--he's young, talented, and is a class act.

Yeah I don't understand it either. It seems like, with his type of personality, he would be the one player our fans could be patient with. Especially since he has undeniably improved each year. Some people just do NOT like the idea of Jason being the face of this franchise. Hoepully Campbell continues to ignore our philly-esque fans and keeps improving his game.

So lets just pretend like 2-6 never happened? You can cherry pick 6 good games by almost any QB in the league.

To be fair, he was asking if you were saying the same thing before the entire team went to hell. Or if even in that timespan you considered Campbell to be sub par.

If you want to see a QB that thrives with zero o-line, a mediocre run game, 1 good WR and 1 good TE, and barely any experience in a system, watch some Tyler Thigpen highlights.

And his team managed to win just 2 games. He ended up with 2,600 yards, 6.2 yard per pass average, 18 TDs and 12 INTS, a 76.0 QB rating, and 54% Completion Rate, and was sacked 26 times.

Jason ended up with 3,200 yards, 6.4 yard per pass average, 13 TDs and 6 INTS, a 84.3 QB rating, and 62% Completion Rate, and was sacked 38 times.

So aside from the TD:INT ratio, I don't know if you can say Tyler "thrived". Don't get me wrong, I thought Thigpen was impressive at times. But he was hardly thriving.

Valid points.....my question to you is....do you think Zorn is putting him in a position to suceed? Do you think Zorns plays are unpredictable enough, that JC even has a chance out there?

When your running game is that successful you should absolutely be producing. It's a ****ing joke we weren't. One of the best running games in the NFL during that stretch and we can only rank 24 in ppg? There's an issue there that has nothing to do with the coaching, OL, receivers, etc. and that's the QB play.

I honestly think everyone on this board overvalues our whole team, but thats a whole different discussion.

Who knows maybe JC is the one who needs to be questioned......we are going to find out. But im damn sure going to be rooting for him, and the redskins as a team to do well. Unlike some people on this site...

Bingo. He's the QB and nothing any schmuck says on here - not me, you, or anyone else - is going to do anything to change it. So root for him to do well. It will make things much easier for this team in the future to not have a QB controversy every year, as much as the city seems to love them.

To be fair, he was asking if you were saying the same thing before the entire team went to hell. Or if even in that timespan you considered Campbell to be sub par.

And his team managed to win just 2 games. He ended up with 2,600 yards, 6.2 yard per pass average, 18 TDs and 12 INTS, a 76.0 QB rating, and 54% Completion Rate, and was sacked 26 times.

Jason ended up with 3,200 yards, 6.4 yard per pass average, 13 TDs and 6 INTS, a 84.3 QB rating, and 62% Completion Rate, and was sacked 38 times.

So aside from the TD:INT ratio, I don't know if you can say Tyler "thrived". Don't get me wrong, I thought Thigpen was impressive at times. But he was hardly thriving.

Tyler only played in 14 games yet still threw 5 more TD's then Jason.

When your running game is that successful you should absolutely be producing. It's a ****ing joke we weren't. One of the best running games in the NFL during that stretch and we can only rank 24 in ppg? There's an issue there that has nothing to do with the coaching, OL, receivers, etc. and that's the QB play.

I disagree.....the second half of the year the coaches playcalling STRAIGHT UP SUCKED. Every team knew EXACTLY what we were doing pre-play. Not saying JC is not of any fault....but Zorn was nothing short of awful.

If he wants to sign for less and no guarantee of a starting spot, go for it.

He'd be a damn good backup QB for the Redskins, and if we fail to find a replacement for him at starter, I see no reason he can't be our version of Kerry Collins.

I disagree.....the second half of the year the coaches playcalling STRAIGHT UP SUCKED. Every team knew EXACTLY what we were doing pre-play. Not saying JC is not of any fault....but Zorn was nothing short of awful.

The second half it became stale, but so did our players.

What's the excuse for the first half? JC is largely to blame for that lack of production....

So lets just pretend like 2-6 never happened? You can cherry pick 6 good games by almost any QB in the league.

Of course you are not supposed to just forget that 2-6 ever happened. Thats not the point. And picking the first half of the season is not "cherry picking." There were two distinct halves of the season, and neither one rests solely on JC's shoulders. The second half can mostly be attributed to poor o-line play and injuries, lack of production in the running game, lack of production from anyone not named Moss and Cooley, late defensive collapses, and a whole host of other issues. Its not all on JC. But you said you'd like him is he played "good." So that was my question to you. Did you like him after wins and hate him after losses? Pretty unstable.

Might have to do with the "helping the team win" part, of which he hasn't done a whole lot.

Most of the anger comes from the apparent situation that the team won't allow anyone to challenge for the starting QB position, especially when Campbell hasn't exactly done a whole lot to show he can take this team on his shoulders in a pinch. I don't think anyone has anything against Campbell personally, but it's obvious to plenty that he doesn't have the leadership (or even talent) qualities needed for a franchise NFL Qb.

Some very good points, especially in regard to his leadership capabilities.

That said, I have always believed in Coach Zorn, and if he thinks he can make JC into a winner, then lets get it done.

and threw 6 more INTs, and played in a crappy division, and his team had a worse record overall. Odd how people use the team's W-L record against JC, but for some reason it isn't considered now with Thigpen.

The Chiefs traded a 2nd rounder for Cassell because Thigpen tore it up so much. :silly: Seriously, I know TDs are important, but many of you severaly undervalue the rest of a QBs performance as a result of overvaluing TDs. Thigpen threw more TD's than Roethlisberger, so is he better than Big Ben too?

It is also very amusing that many people claiming that "Campbell is done, I've seen enough," base this almost solely on the W-L record, or TDs, the 2 areas JC wasn't stellar in. Yet, when you point out Cutler went 8-8 also, it's "oh their D was 28th." I thought we weren't supposed to make "excuses" for a QB, cuz a good one gets it done anyways right?

Then it's pointed out that Ben's stats were actually worse than JC's, and then it once again becomes all about W-L record, with no consideration that their D helped out a lot. So in Cutler's case the D hurt him, but in Ben's case the D didn't help? There is a ridiculous double standard with JC, and most of it is due solely to the W-L record, and people acting as if QB has most do with that, rather than the entire TEAM. Football is a team sport, there are 10 other guys on offense on the field also. Go figure.

The second half it became stale, but so did our players.

What's the excuse for the first half? JC is largely to blame for that lack of production....

JC wasnt exactly asked to do much for the first half of the year dude. And EVERYTHING he was asked to do he did. He was told to take care of the ball and not lose games. And that was damn sure what he was doing.

When teams caught on to what we were doing it forced us to start throwing the ball. Well our offensive line started to wind down, and our recievers were running THE WRONG ROUTES (Devin, Malcom specifically). Not to mention we are running a west coast style passing game with 2 recievers who are short, and under 200 lbs.

It all just didnt mesh well in the second half of the season dude. And it sure as hell wasnt ALL on Jason.

Of course you are not supposed to just forget that 2-6 ever happened. Thats not the point. And picking the first half of the season is not "cherry picking." There were two distinct halves of the season, and neither one rests solely on JC's shoulders. The second half can mostly be attributed to poor o-line play and injuries, lack of production in the running game, lack of production from anyone not named Moss and Cooley, late defensive collapses, and a whole host of other issues. Its not all on JC. But you said you'd like him is he played "good." So that was my question to you. Did you like him after wins and hate him after losses? Pretty unstable.

I agree with you here. No one seems to be talking about, in the muddle of how our defense is ranked 4th in the NFL, that they consistently failed to hold the other team down at the end of games. The Cowboys, Ravens, and Bengals games especially showed that Campbell never even got a chance to go back and win those games.

We may have been ranked 4th in total defense, but our defense was hardly blameless.

Archived