Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Campbell: "I want to stay with 'Skins"

x96bryan10

From Haps post in Breaking News.....

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/03/redskins-notes.html

Let me do a little of Jason Campbell defending here, because we don't do it often. True, Campbell looked at times like he regressed by mid-season. He rolled the first half of the season, regressed the second half. BUT, didn't the whole team regress? What about the receivers? Were Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El as effective in the second half? I think not. Why did the Redskins waste a pick on Malcolm Kelly? Every other team knew his knee problems would be a major issues in his contributions. Not the Skins.

Can Jason Campbell blame some of his regression on the breakdown up front? Absolutely. I think when the front office evaluates Campbell, it also needs to do a reality check on ITSELF and the protection up front it provides Campbell to execute the offense. The offensive line is awful and so are the receivers. Little has changed, and we often attribute that here at DCPSR to front office malpractice.

QFT, as I'm sure the usual suspects will ignore it.

JC is a rare breed in the NFL right now--a player that doesn't talk trash, doesn't whine to the media, doesn't make contract demands, doesn't throw his teammates under the bus, doesn't pout like a baby, and simply focuses on doing his job better and helping the team win. I don't understand why he draws so much bitterness and anger from the ES crowd. Root for the guy--he's young, talented, and is a class act.

Might have to do with the "helping the team win" part, of which he hasn't done a whole lot.

Most of the anger comes from the apparent situation that the team won't allow anyone to challenge for the starting QB position, especially when Campbell hasn't exactly done a whole lot to show he can take this team on his shoulders in a pinch. I don't think anyone has anything against Campbell personally, but it's obvious to plenty that he doesn't have the leadership (or even talent) qualities needed for a franchise NFL Qb.

If he played good I would like him.

Brilliantly put. He has played well. Were you saying that at the halfway point last year? Or was he not playing well enough for you at that point--quarterbacking his team to a 6-2 mark with road wins in Philly and Dallas?

Brilliantly put. He has played well. Were you saying that at the halfway point last year? Or was he not playing well enough for you at that point--quarterbacking his team to a 6-2 mark with road wins in Philly and Dallas?

So lets just pretend like 2-6 never happened? You can cherry pick 6 good games by almost any QB in the league.

Might have to do with the "helping the team win" part, of which he hasn't done a whole lot.

Most of the anger comes from the apparent situation that the team won't allow anyone to challenge for the starting QB position, especially when Campbell hasn't exactly done a whole lot to show he can take this team on his shoulders in a pinch. I don't think anyone has anything against Campbell personally, but it's obvious to plenty that he doesn't have the leadership (or even talent) qualities needed for a franchise NFL Qb.

Great post.

I don't hate JC, hell I've been typing most of my opinions on him while wearing my Campbell jersey (how's that for irony? :silly:). The fact is we can most definitely improve that position. Being it's one of the most critical on the field, we need to explore our options and give anyone a chance that can compete.

Dont bother even responding to that guy. Hes clearly one of MANY scabs on this messege board that just spew crap with nothing to back it up to get a rise out of people.

These types of people need to just start being ignored.....they will go away.

I can't imagine what those "plenty" are watching. He's big, strong-armed, tough, and mobile. He's a first round talent. His teammates admire his calm demeanor--he doesn't get rattled. More progression in his game this year, and we'll be fine. BUT that depends upon his teammates stepping it up--namely o-line and the young receivers. He basically had Moss and Coolely the last half of the season, and that is not enough for any QB. He'll be fine.

He did enough NOT to lose the games I'll give him that but Portis was a machine in that game span.

He did enough NOT to lose the games I'll give him that but Portis was a machine in that game span.

Portis was a TOTAL beast....no doubt. But CP needed the Passing game to keep the defenses honest.....which is ALL we need. We are a running football team....PERIOD.

JC kept them honest until the Oline decided to not block for JC, or CP. I was watching all of our games just yesterday and there is SEVERAL plays where JC no question should have been sacked. And he just easily sidestepped and completed a pass, a couple of those went for TD's (Detriot, and New Orleans both to Tana).

JC is going to progress this year......if he doesnt fine hes done. But until then....support our quarterback!

If you want to see a QB that thrives with zero o-line, a mediocre run game, 1 good WR and 1 good TE, and barely any experience in a system, watch some Tyler Thigpen highlights.

Mediocre?? Portis put the team on his shoulders, and name one RB who can carry a team to the playoffs not named Peterson. (And don't you dare say Michael Turner or DeAngelo Williams they had badass QB's and WR's to take pressure off them)

Mediocre?? Portis put the team on his shoulders, and name one RB who can carry a team to the playoffs not named Peterson. (And don't you dare say Michael Turner or DeAngelo Williams they had badass QB's and WR's to take pressure off them)

I wasn't talking about Portis, I was talking about Kansas's running game. They have Larry Johnson+ ????

I can't imagine what those "plenty" are watching. He's big, strong-armed, tough, and mobile. He's a first round talent. His teammates admire his calm demeanor--he doesn't get rattled. More progression in his game this year, and we'll be fine. BUT that depends upon his teammates stepping it up--namely o-line and the young receivers. He basically had Moss and Coolely the last half of the season, and that is not enough for any QB. He'll be fine.

Technically, Alex Smith and Mike Williams also have first-round talent, whatever that means anymore.

He may not get rattled, but he also doesn't seem to motivate. What point during the season, especially during the second-half, did you ever see Campbell pick up this team, smack them around and bit and tell the guys to get their acts together. Everything gets blamed but Campbell, which almost seems to make it look like he has to have everything perfect in order to be any good! How does that separate him from anyone else.

It's like... "Well, Jason would be good except that he has no WR's, no O-Line, no RB... " and it isn't as if we have little-league talent playing. We have some guys long in the tooth, but certainly no one so bad that the almighty Jason Campbell can't do his thing. Every team has injuries. The team finished 2-6. So that's all the fault of the playcalling, Jansen and everyone else except the QB... ? I mean... it's almost as if people are saying he has to have 2-3 good WR's, a good TE, an all-pro line and a great RB all on the field at the same time, otherwise he can't be expected to be any good.

Portis was playing lights-out most of the first eight games. He was more the reason for the success during than period, much more so than Campbell.

He may not get rattled, but he also doesn't seem to motivate. What point during the season, especially during the second-half, did you ever see Campbell pick up this team, smack them around and bit and tell the guys to get their acts together. Everything gets blamed but Campbell, which almost seems to make it look like he has to have everything perfect in order to be any good! How does that separate him from anyone else.

How do you know he didnt??? Are you in the lockerroom? No your not dude.....I mean christ does he have to be T.O style yelling at his teammates on the sideline to be a leader?

I have heard TONS of lockerroom comments from players calling JC their leader.

JC is a rare breed in the NFL right now--a player that doesn't talk trash, doesn't whine to the media, doesn't make contract demands, doesn't throw his teammates under the bus, doesn't pout like a baby, and simply focuses on doing his job better and helping the team win. I don't understand why he draws so much bitterness and anger from the ES crowd. Root for the guy--he's young, talented, and is a class act.

I agree completely. I've told several members that I don't have a problem whatsoever if someone is critical of his play. He hasn't consistently played where he should.

But the attacks on his character are baseless and foolish. Aside from maybe the need to be more emotional (that being said, we don't know how he is in the huddle), he's exactly what you would look for, character-wise, in an NFL player.

It's just silly. He's going to be the starter until Zorn says he isn't. It's best for the team if he plays well. He's easy to root for. Why not root for him to do well?

How do you know he didnt??? Are you in the lockerroom? No your not dude.....I mean christ does he have to be T.O style yelling at his teammates on the sideline to be a leader?

I have heard TONS of lockerroom comments from players calling JC their leader.

If he did and they did say that, it sure as hell didn't show on the field. The Offense played with about zero fire.

The way you guys describe it, we have zero talent anywhere except for two guys on the Offense. I think everyone knows that's not the case. If it takes so much talent for Campbell to get anything done, then maybe he's the one who needs to be questioned.

Archived