Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best game ever?

brandies

I had to go for the 82 NFC title game. It had everything you could want: a do-or-die victory over the Cowboys (after six straight defeats), a knockout hit on Danny White, an interception return for the game-clinching TD, the Hogs domination of the Dallas defense, Riggins crushing them for 140 yards, etc., etc. Plus it was at RFK, and the place was *insane*. Most importantly, I was there :D Talk about being in heaven! I won't say the Super Bowl against the Dolphins was anticlimactic - it was great too, but it couldn't top that game for me.

Like a number of folks, the first SB win they were able to watch was their favorite game. For me, it was the first one against Miami. I had waited so long for it to happen. The 4th &1 play that clinched it remains my favorite play of all time.

I thoroughly enjoyed the other 2 SB wins, but the satisfaction of witnessing the removal of the monkey off the back of the franchise is hard to replace. I bet one dollar will always savior last year's win as his favorite game.

Originally posted by Skins26

Im only 18 so i wasnt alive for most of these. The only one i really know well is the SB against the Bills i remember watching that one. And i remember us just dominating them. But from all the family stories i have heard and all the hatred i have for the Cowboys i voted for the 1972 Skins over Cowboys. Just the "We Want Dallas" chants and the stadium shaking. That sounds so badass. I wish we could get that back this year. I want the cowboys to be scared coming in to FedEx. Just think of 86000 people screaming we want dallas at the top of their lungs. :notworthy

============================================

1 problem..that was the 82 nfc champ. game against dallas which i voted for....HTTR

Jimbo--how could you put the skins giants game in that list (and at #2 no less). that game was more about redskins missed TD opportunities, a young LT starting to dominate and the giants offensive ineptitude. I would hardly include it in the best games ever. most of the FGs were chip shots (i have that game on tape and just watched it recently)

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I think you guys forgot one. How about the last Redskins/Cowboys game last year where the Skins snapped that losing streak to the Cowboys? :laugh:

That was just a mental thing we had to get over.

You know that Superbowl Titles are the best.

Y'know, this may be weird, but my favorite Redskins game was a meaningless game in a worthless season.

Back in the late 70s we met the Cowboys on Monday Night football, with all the due hype surrounding.

The Redskins won the game 9-5.

9 to 5.

There were 3 four play goal-line stands in the game as i recall, two by us, and one by them. The game ended with Theismann running it out of the endzone and throwing it deep into the RFK stands. No scoring, no fireworks. But neither of those defenses would give in. It was not a sloppy offensive game, just one HECK of a defensive battle. Very intense.

And for some reason, it stands out as my favorite.

~Bang

Mine will still be Super Bowl XXII vs the Dever Broncos.

I think the 1987 was a true tribute to how great of a coach Joe Gibbs was.

He took a scrappy team that had a QB Controversy and had to battle back all season and turned them into Super Bowl Champions! :cheers:

The second quarter was Heaven for Redskin fans and we did it with a washed up QB, no named RB, a WR Corp that had a coming out party in that game, and of course the best O-Line in the NFL at the time.

That is my all-time favorite Redskin Game and it will take Super Bowl with an equal offensive explosion to top it for me. I love it every time in the Super Bowl a team goes down by more than 10 points you hear "The only team in Super Bowl History EVER to come back an win a Super Bowl after falling behind by that 10 points is the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XXII" :notworthy

Little surprised no one mentioned the 1992 Cowboy game at RFK. It will always be on my personal favorites list, and I still watch it at least once a year-- I've even made my wife watch it.

For the most part, it was an ugly game, but very, very intense.

But the ending had such a feel of "RFK magic" that it will always stand out to me. Not only do I remember that game so well, I remember the way I FELT that late Sunday afternoon in mid December-- I was walking on air.

Funny, but the 1992 SEASON is one of my favorites-- I LOVE defneding a title because there is nothing harder/more demaning in sports. If you can pull it off, you truly are a great team. It was a rough year with all of the injuries and some tough losses, but that Cowboy game was a moment of sheer joy and we really put it to the Vikings in the Wild Card game.

I'm still cringing about the muffed hand-off from Rypein to Brian Mitchell in the playoff game at SF. We were ON OUR WAY in that game-- had we not fumbled, we had a great shot at playing the Cowboys in the NFC Title game. Dallas probably would have won, but it would have been quite a fun scene.

Two more notes:

I agree with everyone else about the obvious great moments-- the Gibbs era post-season wins, etc.... but two thoughts on the Norv era.

1. The SF clicnher in 1999 was not a great moment for me. I was happy we won and relieved to finally make the playoffs, but as was Norv's way back then, it seemed more like a relief than a thrill to win that game-- so ugly. Also, our division was so bad that year that winning it was nothing too impressive-- don't forget we actually already clinched a playoff spot earlier that day by virute of a Carolina loss to Pittsburgh.

2. The one truly happy moment I can recall from the Norv era was winning at the VET in 1996. That game ended the mini losing streak we had and I really thought we had arrived after that win. It was an exciting game and a win I thought was going to put us over the top-- if I only knew :(

kleese, excellent call on that game in 92. they beat us in every statistic but one, Redskins 20 Cowboys 17 ... our last swipe at Dallas before they started their run. A reminder to them that we weren't going to go quietly. I still remember Gary Clark on the sidelines whipping up the crowd that day.

Good point also about that whole 92 season. Like everyone else, I ****ed and moaned all season about how mediocre the team performed, but once the season ended I thought, you know, Gibbs coached the hell out of that team. We're old and injured and still almost got to the NFC championsip game. We are sure lucky to have a coach like that.

A few days later Gibbs retired. And here we are.

Henry,

Anyone that knows me, knows I'm not a homer, but IMO, Gibbs is still as underappreciated nationally as any figure in sports-- guy was incredible-- Top 5 all-time in the NFL. Only his lack of longevity hurt him.

That 1992 was such a grind, but we really still came very close. It was a frustrating, but fun year.

And yep, Gary Clark was waving a towel and wearing a greenish-teal turtleneck that was flopping out of his uniform.

Wilbur Marshall got a 15 yard penalty for grabbing Novacek by the throat and throwing him down.

And Shane Collins put the nail in the coffin when he sacked Aikman, making it 4th and long. The stands were shaking at that moment-- Madden and Summerall were there, it was dark outside in December, and all was right in the world.

Archived