Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best game ever?

brandies

Im only 18 so i wasnt alive for most of these. The only one i really know well is the SB against the Bills i remember watching that one. And i remember us just dominating them. But from all the family stories i have heard and all the hatred i have for the Cowboys i voted for the 1972 Skins over Cowboys. Just the "We Want Dallas" chants and the stadium shaking. That sounds so badass. I wish we could get that back this year. I want the cowboys to be scared coming in to FedEx. Just think of 86000 people screaming we want dallas at the top of their lungs. :notworthy

This was a real tough one for me. The 3 Superbowls wins were big. Two early championships were big. Another big one was beating the Cowboys in the championship game under Allen. I finally went first Super Bowl victory, because it was a first. The same could be argued about the victories in 37 and 42. And if you just like outright offense?

For me, the Bronco superbowl.

As a young Air Force Airman, I had to take the Burgundy and gold and show them off in Alaska. The dayroom being full of Bronco fans and me and two other Skins fans took crap after that 10-0 lead. But man, we were able to dish it out after the 2nd quarter!

Despite overwhelming odds, we managed to escape unharmed after the game and then even had more beers with our defeated friends. What a great day!!!!

I find it hard to think of anything that compares to kicking some dall-ass in the NFC campionship game, but I voted for the 82 SB because it was the 1st SB victory and I was there.

:wave:

The first game I remember watching on TV was Super Bowl XXII. I was real disappointed when the skins were down early but I couldn't sit still after that. To me, this game was the greatest because it is the one that got me hooked for life.

If you take away the 3 Super Bowl victorys, then the 82' NFC Championship game, IMO, was the greatest game EVER. Not only did we 1) beat Dallas:D , 2) win the NFC Championship, but also 3) would be the start of our " Decade of Domination" in the NFL.

ASF, don't ever bring that game up again. That and the Clint Longley game. Also that opening Monday Nighter in '83. Probably the most sickening losses ever, even moreso than the Super Bowl losses. There's a definite pattern there - losses to the Cowboys after running up a big lead.

It's hard to argue against a Super Bowl win, but that '83 game against the Cowboys in Dallas was very satisfying. Both teams 12-2 and tied atop the division with Dallas holding the tiebreaker. The Redskins needed to win in order to have a chance at home field advantage throughout the playoff. The 'Skins just kicked the tar out of them, 31-10.

Very SWEET.:cool:

I'll go with the Superbowl XXVI victory since it was the last superbowl the skins won. Considering the recent history of the franchise, it makes you appreciate that title a little bit more.

definitely the denver superbowl---down 10-0, williams twists his knee--skins on the ropes--suddenly a long pass to monk and then the second quarter we all treasure.

the buffulo SB was defensive domination--loved watching it but the it wasn't close at all.

the miami SB was certainly the most entertaining game, but IMO the best gut check remains the denver game.

Originally posted by skinsfan44

If you take away the 3 Super Bowl victorys, then the 82' NFC Championship game, IMO, was the greatest game EVER. Not only did we 1) beat Dallas:D , 2) win the NFC Championship, but also 3) would be the start of our " Decade of Domination" in the NFL.

ditto and with the video of Chief Z calling out the diesel is stuck in my memory.....love it!!!:pint:

Hard to believe that the Redskins still hold the record for the biggest come-from-behind SB victory.

ASF definately picked my the memorable defeat. That game is still imprinted on my brain as well.

And that's probably why the 82 championship game gets my vote for best win ever. That was the game that annouced our arrival. That was the start of the greatest decade in our team's history.

Well, that and we beat the Cowboys. :)

Since 1972 was my first year as a real Redskin fan, I thought about the game then, but we were on a trip and I didn't get to see the game. I was living in Texas when we beat them with Gibbs, and then beating Miami in the SB seemed to put the '72 season to right :)

All the games listed were great games, but the one that stands out for me is a little more obscure and not neccesarily that important. I think it was during the 1991 season, skins vs. giants. The skins were currently undefeated (i think) and were down by three touchdowns at halftime, came back in second half and controlled the game to continue there march to the superbowl. Great game.

Guest SPACESKINS

Hey Just Skins!

I also was a young Airman in Nebraska in '87 watching "The Doug Williams" show.Everyone in our dayroom were Bronco's fans as well.I watched in my own room as 'dem skins ripped Denver apart in the second quarter.I was completely "horse" by half-time.It still makes me smile when I think about it. :D

Ahh, the good 'ol days!:cheers:

The Super Bowls and Championship games have a feel all their own. The 82 Championship game against Dallas and Super Bowl XVII were two of the greatest weeks of my life.

I'm a sucker for come from behind victories so, discounting the playoffs, my best come-from-behind victories were:

1. (1983) Skins - 37, Raiders - 35

Theismann to Joe Washington following the recovery of an onside kick caps a 19 pt. comeback win.

2. (1982) Skins - 15, Giants - 14

Moseley's 42 yard FG in the snow clinches the division, wins the game and gives him an NFL record for consecutive FGs all with one kick.

3. (1990) Skins - 41, Lions - 38

Jeff Rutledge leads the Skins back from certain defeat in the Silverdome. This game had a little of everything.

4. (1974) Skins - 20, Dolphins - 17

Sonny Jurgensen lead the Skins from behind against the defending Super Bowl champs.

5. (1983) Packers - 48, Skins - 47

Moseley misses a FG on the last play of the game that would have won it and given the Skins 50 pts. A very wild Monday night loss.

Dishonorable mention:

(Thanksgiving Day 1974) Dallas - 24, Skins - 23

I still curse Ken Stone for letting Drew Pearson run by him and making a cult hero of Clint Longley. Stone's fate? He became a member of the 0-14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

(1979) Dallas - 35, Skins - 34

Lamar Parrish joins Ken Stone on my sh!t list by allowing Tony Hill to catch the winning TD pass. Riggo went into his one year retirement after this game.

Originally posted by NorEastNCFan

All the games listed were great games, but the one that stands out for me is a little more obscure and not neccesarily that important. I think it was during the 1991 season, skins vs. giants. The skins were currently undefeated (i think) and were down by three touchdowns at halftime, came back in second half and controlled the game to continue there march to the superbowl. Great game.

They were down 13-0, and came back to win it 17-13. That was definately a great game. I saw that one at a bar in New York surrounded by crazed Giant fans. I remember all the cheering and back-slapping at half time and thinking "Just wait." :)

Yes, the superbowls and playoff games and the Dallas wins have all been GREAT games, but how about this one:

Game 16 of the 1999 season against the 49ers to clinch the NFC East. Larry Centers rumbles like 40 yards in for the go-ahead score. That's been the best game in recent memory for me.

Archived