Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In an uncapped year....SHAWNE MERRIMAN???

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Gosh people, just focus on this year, instead of next. Heck, we don't know what next year is going to bring- it might be uncapped, it might not. So just chill out, and focus instead on how we can improve linebacker THIS season, instead of a fantasy that might not even play out under these circumstances.

If you're talking about the 2010 season, then that ship has sailed. That's why Haynesworth has a contract paying him 32(!) million that year.

No it hasn't.

2010 is NOT an uncapped year yet. And, we're paying Haynesworth $21 mil according to all I have read. :)

What would be the restrictions in an uncapped year? Any or could we cut guys without worry of cap hits period. Imagine how many people we could let go, and how many we could bring in.

I dont think we would have a uncapped year. Synder would sign every big name and have a team salary over 200. You wouldnt be able to reset the cap at that point.

What would be the restrictions in an uncapped year? Any or could we cut guys without worry of cap hits period. Imagine how many people we could let go, and how many we could bring in.

I dont think we would have a uncapped year. Synder would sign every big name and have a team salary over 200. You wouldnt be able to reset the cap at that point.

You would think the cap wouldn't be reset, but I imagine that it would. However, teams that would be over it by a large amount would have some options. Either they could be a certain amount over the cap, which would shrink a certain amount every year, or the players under contract when the cap came back would have their cap amounts adjusted, like the NHL did when they put a cap in.

You would think the cap wouldn't be reset, but I imagine that it would. However, teams that would be over it by a large amount would have some options. Either they could be a certain amount over the cap, which would shrink a certain amount every year, or the players under contract when the cap came back would have their cap amounts adjusted, like the NHL did when they put a cap in.

I didn't even think about that part. I don't think that players' contracts signed during the cap should count as much against the cap as much as a top-paid player at that position would be as if there were no uncapped year based on the trajectory of the cap in the five years prior to when the cap was removed.

Confused? So am I. Let's use arbitrary, round numbers to explain:

2006 Cap: $100 million

2007 Cap: $110 million (10% cap increase)

2008 Cap: $121 million (10% cap increase)

2009 Cap: $133 million (10% cap increase)

2010 Cap: None, uncapped.

As you can see, in this hypothetical situation, the cap goes up 10% every year. If the cap doesn't exist from 2010 to 2012 (again, random), then the player should count against the cap in 2013 as much as he would if the cap's increase kept going up at 10% each year.

Does that make sense? Again, these are random, top-of-the-head numbers.

Are you sure? I was almost certain that it had happened already since there is no CBA.

I'm at school, I'm a substitute teacher, and some of the sites are blocked here. But if I could look around I'm sure I could find the info. 99.8% positive that 2010 is not an uncapped year, yet.

Archived