Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The I HATE itunes thread

jrockster21

Nevermind Blackest, I think he's one of those Linux guys. You know the type..."Why on earth would you want to be able to plug n play when you could literally spend hours enjoying a fruitless search for drivers?"

funny, I find that more of my accessories are plug 'n play in linux than windows. Ubuntu includes drivers in the OS as opposed to with windows where I have to search the web trying to find drivers for my chipset and network card and various other components. took me a long time to get XP fully working on this computer because of various driver-related problems. Ubuntu worked fully right off the install.

I just use SUPER. Converts any type of file to anything. avi to wmv. mp4 to mp3. I rip of audio from youtube vids all the time too. Plus you can listen to or watch any type of file on it. Coolest software ever and its free! Oh yea and don't worry about viruses. Its virus free.

Just type SUPER into google and it will come up.

Don't do this, I used to do this until I discovered how sucky the audio quality is. Youtube videos are mono and of a horrible bitrate. Listen to your youtube quality music and compare it to the real thing and you will hear a significan't difference.

What product performs better than an Ipod in terms of integration with car audio systems, home receivers etc?

Uhhh... what?

The iPod doesn't have any in-built methods of integration with car audio systems or A/V receivers. Due to its popularity there is a pretty large, competitive market for iPod accessories that support the kind of integration you're talking about. That aside, most mp3 players can be hooked up to a car or receiver with similar performance levels.

What is a DAP for? It's for listening to music. Now, I'm not up on changes that may have happened lately, but last I heard, the iPod's sound is inferior to many players, like for example, my player. :)

For one thing, it doesn't have a dedicated line out. So you're already starting with an inferior product before it even leaves the player.

Right on, brother. Shop at Head Room? I have old acquaintances who used to be there, haven't checked them for awhile, but keep track of the outfit. I have a Grado RA-1 I use (thinking about a Benchmark DAC-1), and I like the Micro Line for the $$, and have heard Eveanna Manley's very cool amp. :)
Headroom? I own the place!

Not really, but yes, I do have the Head Room TotalAirHead amp. Not as fancy as yours, but not as expensive, either. :) ($200) Small world, huh?

For cans, I've got a pair of Grado SR 225's, a pair of Sennheiser HD 580s, and then I also have a pair of in ear monitors - the Etymotic ER4-p/s with the triple flange. :)

This is from that website. That's the biggest problem... Why need some crappy proprietary software to do something that the OS (both PC AND MAC) is built to do?
Bingo! I can take any mp3 in the world and, as long as it's not corrupted, my player will play it. And it will play it beautifully. :)

Uhhh... what?

The iPod doesn't have any in-built methods of integration with car audio systems or A/V receivers. Due to its popularity there is a pretty large, competitive market for iPod accessories that support the kind of integration you're talking about. That aside, most mp3 players can be hooked up to a car or receiver with similar performance levels.

yeah, this. I have an FM transmitter designed specifically for the sansa that works perfectly. As for home use, being the cheap ****/electronics guy I am, I soldered an audio-in port to my old boombox.

Uhhh... what?

Name any car products that control the interface of other players? Virtually none. Hooking up a player via the headphone jack is not what I am talking about.

The whole point is that Ipod is ubiquitous and that is why it has so many accessories available.

yeah, this. I have an FM transmitter designed specifically for the sansa that works perfectly. As for home use, being the cheap ****/electronics guy I am, I soldered an audio-in port to my old boombox.

Converting a digital signal to an analog radio RF frequency is your idea of integration or something "working perfectly" and you are complaining about the functionality of the Ipod?

Converting a digital signal to an analog radio RF frequency is your idea of integration or something "working perfectly" and you are complaining about the functionality of the Ipod?

If I were bothered, I could solder an audio-in jack to my head unit. of course, I'd have to do the same if I wanted to get an Ipod to work directly with my car.

Don't do this, I used to do this until I discovered how sucky the audio quality is. Youtube videos are mono and of a horrible bitrate. Listen to your youtube quality music and compare it to the real thing and you will hear a significan't difference.

Well yea, obviously youtube vids arent going to be as good as the real thing, but sucky?? No way. All the files I've done are pretty damn good. Plus the youtube vids I ripped audio off of were like stand-up routines and some live bands. You should try the software before judging. And converting mp4's to mp3's is not going to have any effect on sound quality. It doesn't change anything.

Name any car products that control the interface of other players? Virtually none. Hooking up a player via the headphone jack is not what I am talking about.

The whole point is that Ipod is ubiquitous and that is why it has so many accessories available.

It could be done. there are devices that can remotely control the sansa, so its just a matter of implementing such feature into a head unit or something of the like. If I were ambition, I could do it, but again, I don't care to nor is it worth it, to me for the money. Its not that the ipod is has more features, it just has more third-party support.

Well yea, obviously youtube vids arent going to be as good as the real thing, but sucky?? No way. All the files I've done are pretty damn good. Plus the youtube vids I ripped audio off of were like stand-up routines and some live bands. You should try the software before judging. And converting mp4's to mp3's is not going to have any effect on sound quality. It doesn't change anything.

did you read where I said I used to do it? I used super and everything. I used to be happy with it until someone else who used to do it made a big point about how bad it was. I always thought that particular songs were mixed poorly, but the problem was that I downloaded them from youtube. When I got the real thing it made a world of a difference.

What is a DAP for? It's for listening to music. Now, I'm not up on changes that may have happened lately, but last I heard, the iPod's sound is inferior to many players, like for example, my player. :)

For one thing, it doesn't have a dedicated line out. So you're already starting with an inferior product before it even leaves the player.

I would say that more of the problem with sound quality is that people listen to mp3s which for the most part sound terrible. I bet most people only listen to 128kbps anyway. Sounds like utter crap and through those stupid earbuds, even worse.

did you read where I said I used to do it? I used super and everything. I used to be happy with it until someone else who used to do it made a big point about how bad it was. I always thought that particular songs were mixed poorly, but the problem was that I downloaded them from youtube. When I got the real thing it made a world of a difference.

Oh well you never specifically said you used super. It all depends what you use it for. I don't rip music off of youtube that I can get easily for free and with better quality somewhere else. I use torrents instead. But I see what you are saying. For everything else though super is the ****.

I would say that more of the problem with sound quality is that people listen to mp3s which for the most part sound terrible. I bet most people only listen to 128kbps anyway. Sounds like utter crap and through those stupid earbuds, even worse.

I can't stand normal earbuds anymore. I bought a pair of $15 in-ear earbuds, which aren't that expensive, and they blew away anything I'd used before. I know there's still better stuff out there, but for cost versus quality, they were really nice. I was sad when the connector ripped off one day, but I saved it by soldering a new one on there. I eventually lost it, though :(

Oh well you never specifically said you used super. It all depends what you use it for. I don't rip music off of youtube that I can get easily for free and with better quality somewhere else. I use torrents instead. But I see what you are saying. For everything else though super is the ****.

yeah, I love super. For stand-up and stuff like that, definitely usable. but for real music, never again. Super's great for making Gifs out of videos, too.

I'm sorry J, but your criticism of Apple is not allowed. It just isn't.

Apple represents everything that is just and righteous in the world. Apple makes the best everything. They are the greatest company of all time. They make the best products and computers.

Just ask anyone who owns one!

:jerk:

lol at the tag "itunes you guys out"

Also I've had my ipod for nearly 5 years now and have yet to have any problems with it. I call it ole clunkers because it's one of the early generation ones that's gigantic in comparison to today's mp3 players. I do also have a.....GASP!...ipod shuffle (aka lil shuff) which I use on a daily basis. And yes, it is orange because orange is a cool color. (Ole clunkers is usually reserved for the car these days)

I do complain sometimes about itunes slowing down my comp, but I attribute this more to my computer being old and slow than anything else...

lol at the tag "itunes you guys out"

Also I've had my ipod for nearly 5 years now and have yet to have any problems with it. I call it ole clunkers because it's one of the early generation ones that's gigantic in comparison to today's mp3 players. I do also have a.....GASP!...ipod shuffle (aka lil shuff) which I use on a daily basis. And yes, it is orange because orange is a cool color. (Ole clunkers is usually reserved for the car these days)

I do complain sometimes about itunes slowing down my comp, but I attribute this more to my computer being old and slow than anything else...

You should replace it with at Prism DuroSport. I hear they are chunkier and more solid than an iPod.

Archived