Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Resign Fincher

return2glory

didn't want to start a new thread about this, but i do think it's noteworthy.

Reserve Linebacker Alfred Fincher Re-signed

Jason Reid reports:

The Redskins have re-signed reserve linebacker Alfred Fincher, the team announced today.Contract terms were not immediately available.

Fincher, who was a key contributor on special teams in the 2008 season, joined the Redskins in training camp and played in 15 games. He ranked eighth on the team with nine special teams tackles.

Vinny Cerrato, Washington executive vice president of football operations, still hopes to sign a starting-caliber tackle to replace longtime right tackle Jon Jansen, a league source said,...

I don't know how much i need to express that i can't stand another year of poor pass protection because Jansen is getting bullrushed.

I'm not expecting anything more than depth at this point. I don't think we can reasonably expect a player who had been cut from two teams previously (Saints/Lions) to come in and lock down the position for the next half a decade. I get the feeling some of you are allowing yourselves to consider that.

I'm happy for Fincher and all, but I don't expect anything more than solid special teams contributions. I agree with OM, our SAM linebacker isn't on the roster yet, the only question is whether he's coming from the draft, or later in free agency.

I've got those two noted on the blog piece I'm working on ... unfortunately, the notations are going to say largely what you just did. Until proven otherwise, they're just warm bodies. Neither can reasonably be penciled in as even a temporary starter while a rookie draft pick learns where the bathrooms are at Ashburn.

Point being ... our starting SAM isn't on the roster yet. Or if he is, someone at Ashburn is rolling the dice big time.

Well, it would be rolling of the dice if they don't sign or draft anyone else. Personally, I think the likelyhood of that is low. But, you could always have someone like Antonio Pierce step up and prove to everyone that he can be the guy. I'm not counting on that, tho, and I doubt the team is counting on that. They never have in the past.

didn't want to start a new thread about this, but i do think it's noteworthy.

I don't know how much i need to express that i can't stand another year of poor pass protection because Jansen is getting bullrushed.

Thanks for posting that. Mr. Pace, welcome to Washington....

Fincher >>>> Blades

I don't know how you can say that. I haven't seen Fincher much in the regular season, and right now I don't trust him to know where to be just yet. Fincher may be more talented, but I trust Blades more now.

But I say let them (and a draft pick) compete for the job. Hopefully we'll be able to sort out this position by the time the season starts (kinda like we were able to do with Horton, Doughty, and Moore et al at SS last year).

Well, it would be rolling of the dice if they don't sign or draft anyone else. Personally, I think the likelyhood of that is low.

That's what I was saying. :)

But, you could always have someone like Antonio Pierce step up and prove to everyone that he can be the guy. I'm not counting on that, tho, and I doubt the team is counting on that. They never have in the past.

Absolutely. A Sinclair or Smith could suddenly emerge and claim the position. I think we're agreed that's not something the team should probably be counting on, however. More bodies--among them hopefully a legitimate SAM-sized body--are on the way.

Oh, incidentally ...

Pierce, Antonio - 6'1", 238

Fincher, Albert - 6'1", 238

Spooky.

Was Pierce the Sam before he moved to Mike? I thought he was playing the weak side?

When he was here, he backed up and then replaced LA at WILL. He may have seen spot duty elsewhere, but he was predominantly at weak.

He's done well to transition to MIKE in NY, aided to no small extent by playing behind one of the strongest DL's in the league.

Man, I like Fincher. Look at his team photo. Dude has a blockhead. Seeing as we just re-signed him, maybe we sure up the DE spot in the draft, but as everyone is saying, I just don't feel comfort at night thinking about our LB corps.

How tight would it be if Jansen comes back with a vengence next year? Highly un-likely, but what if? Maybe he's doing some offseason workouts to strengthen that achilles and get that mental block gone? I bet ever since it's healed, he's afraid to put pressure on it to those outside rushes.

To Jon:

Get over the hump, you've got a year or two left in your tank if you can perform. Here's to one of the last core Redskins from the Norv era. If you can't perform, happy trails! You've been a real Hog.

When he was here, he backed up and then replaced LA at WILL. He may have seen spot duty elsewhere, but he was predominantly at weak.

He's done well to transition to MIKE in NY, aided to no small extent by playing behind one of the strongest DL's in the league.

He played his last season here at Mike. I remember because we had signed Mike Barrow to play MLB, but he got hurt and Pierce played a really good season. Thats what led to him leaving the next year.

Archived