Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI Demetric Evans Moving On

DCsportsfan53

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/03/demetric_evans_moving_on.html#more

Leaving this area will be very difficult -- Evans's wife has one year left on her residency at a local hospital --and the Redskins knew he wanted to stay here. They had all of the leverage and all year to get a deal done, but Evans said they never made an offer to keep him, prior to or after him becoming a free agent. This was despite the Redskins having just one every-down DE on the current roster (Andre Carter). (Also I continue to hear that the Redskins Reunion Tour at DE is looking more and more like a go, with Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn both candidates to return).

"I knew when we played in San Francisco (the final game of the 2008 regular season) that that was going to be my last game for the Redskins," Evans said. "You see how they operate in free agency, and I'm not the kind of guy they value. Guys like me, Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, guys who start at the bottom and work their way up, they don't keep those guys around. So, I never, never thought I would be coming back to Washington.

"I'm not that sexy defensive end. I'm not bringing that Jason Taylor appeal. But I still made the sacks and tackles. At the end of the day, though, everything happens for a reason and I'm excited for the opportunity to go to San Francisco and compete for a starting job and show them what I can do."

You know, I'm fine with the spending on free agents, I'm happy to keep Hall, I'm happy with Haynesworth and Dockery but Evans is right. It just bothers me, why do we never ever value the guys who've toiled for us, worked their asses off, carved a niche for themselves and aren't even that expensive? I just don't get it, I don't get it at all. I want to believe that Snyderatto has learned some things and they seem to be making some smarter decisions, I want to dismiss the tired old criticisms from mediots rehashing Deion and Bruce but damned if it doesn't seem sometimes like they will just never learn. This is a guy who's a solid player with good character, great commitment and work ethic who's grown with us, wanted nothing more than to stay here and can be had for excellent value on top of it. He should still be here. :2cents:

He has a point, but I'm not in favor of getting into a bidding war over a DE going on 30 who has had one or two decent years. I understand his grief though.

They gave him basically a one year 2 mil deal. Had we offered him 1.5 mil per for 2 or 3 years (barely above vet min) at any time in the last year or this offseason he'd still be here.

Redskins end Demetric Evans, a valuable and versatile contributor during his five seasons in Washington, and the team's best defensive end during the 2008 season, said the decision to sign with San Francisco Wednesday night came down to the fact that the 49ers wanted him, and Washington never gave any indication that it did.
Evans said he asked his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, why the Skins didn't want him but said he never got a firm answer. He said Rosenhaus just told him early in the process that they would have to find other teams.
Evans said that despite knowing he was not in the plans, it's still a little unsettled to pull up from a place that has provided strong roots and teammates he cares for deeply. But reality sank in for good when the Redskins gave Haynesworth a No. 92 jersey to hold up at his press conference (Evans's number).

This wasn't about a bidding war or him costing too much money, we just straight up didn't value him or his efforts at all. Believe me, I'm no negative nancy type of fan, I haven't been upset with anything that's happened this offseason but this just bugs me. Not because I have any particular feeling for Evans over any other Redskin's player but because this is a pattern and habit for us with our high character, low cost role players.

I like Evans as much as the next guy, but his true feelings are showing. Best of luck! These guys are journeymen. sure he played hard for us, but he was on a team before we picked him up, that team obviously didn't value him much either. It doesn't mean he's trash or anything, but that's the business. Get your new check and be happy! Journeymen should never burn bridges.....

I feel bad for him, but I definitely don't like him going to JLC and talking like this. We've re-signed or extended contracts for Chris Cooley, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Jon Jansen, Chris Samuels, and so on. I think he's going too far with his comments but I certainly understand why. It's tough, and I do wish we re-signed him.

I feel bad for him, but I definitely don't like him going to JLC and talking like this. We've re-signed or extended contracts for Chris Cooley, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Jon Jansen, Chris Samuels, and so on. I think he's going too far with his comments but I certainly understand why. It's tough, and I do wish we re-signed him.

If he just wanted a change of scenery, fine. If he got a better deal from another team and took the money, fine. But if I'm reading this correctly we had no interest bringing him back and decided he wasn't worth having at just about any price. That bothers me. Could've been a very quality, low cost depth piece with the ability to start as a run stuffing DE, I just don't understand how we weren't even slightly interested in bringing him back.

I like Evans as much as the next guy, but his true feelings are showing. Best of luck! These guys are journeymen. sure he played hard for us, but he was on a team before we picked him up, that team obviously didn't value him much either. It doesn't mean he's trash or anything, but that's the business. Get your new check and be happy! Journeymen should never burn bridges.....

Exactly, at least Pierce and Clark were THE STARTERS at their position. Evans was a backup DE and a backup DT here. The versatility is something to be admired, but its not like he's somebody who was a key to build around.

Before the season, I predicted him not making the roster because he was getting old and we hadn't seen much from him. He fits into our system, but we really had no real reason to try to bring him back EXCEPT for loyalty.

They gave him basically a one year 2 mil deal. Had we offered him 1.5 mil per for 2 or 3 years (barely above vet min) at any time in the last year or this offseason he'd still be here.

Yeah, but what had he shown to deserve at least that? He was basically just a situational guy who if he played 30% of the snaps in a season, its a good year for him. We can find those guys left and right. What we need is a guy who can play 95% of the snaps.

He will be playing in a 3-4 scheme, which is different for him, but the presentation from the coaches and front office was very impressive, he said. They are giving him every opportunity to compete for a starting job, with some freedom to get after the football.

what ya'll are saying is fine and good, however, i can't see how this will be a good fit for him. He, IMO, is not a 3-4 DE. You think he wasn't getting sacks when he was here, it may be even worse in this scheme. In any event, I wish him the best. I hope it works out for him.

But his point is about the undrafted guys. It seems that we allow them to show they're good enough to play here, but not good enough to re-sign here.

The thing about Evans is that he is getting old and I'm not upset with replacing him.

Yeah, but what had he shown to deserve at least that? He was basically just a situational guy who if he played 30% of the snaps in a season, its a good year for him. We can find those guys left and right. What we need is a guy who can play 95% of the snaps.

I mean, the vet min for a player of his tenure is damn near 1 mil per season, you're telling me he wasn't worth 1.5? That's the whole point, we know he fits well with us, we know what he can do, he's cheap but we'd rather find the guy we can get "left and right" to do those things for us. Not to parrot JLC but I agree, he probably was our best end last year. 1.5-2 mil is nothing in the NFL world and would have almost no cap impact.

Exactly, he was more a utility guy. And from what i gather, he jumped at the opportunity because they basically offered a starting job. However, think this is the better situation for him.

just my 2 cents

what ya'll are saying is fine and good, however, i can't see how this will be a good fit for him. He, IMO, is not a 3-4 DE. You think he wasn't getting sacks when he was here, it may be even worse in this scheme. In any event, I wish him the best. I hope it works out for him.

3-4 DEs aren't supposed to get sacks. Most of them are around 300lbs. Much like 3-4 OLBs are usually smallish tweener DE types with good pass rushing skills, 3-4 DEs are tweener DTs with good skills at block occupying and run stopping. If he can adapt to the technical parts of the position he actually hasn't a pretty good skill set for that position.

3-4 DEs aren't supposed to get sacks. Most of them are around 300lbs. Much like 3-4 OLBs are usually smallish tweener DE types with good pass rushing skills, 3-4 DEs are tweener DTs with good skills at block occupying and run stopping. If he can adapt to the technical parts of the position he actually hasn't a pretty good skill set for that position.

We cut Jason taylor and let Demetric Evans go. I have to think we'll draft a DE now.. Perhaps Tyson Jackson... or Brian Orakpo

Except that guy isn't on the roster. If we had a backlog of DEs I could see it. However, at present we have exactly one starting DE on the team. Evans would have been a great, inexpensive stopgap guy to have in place as a starter for next season until we could draft a long-term starter in 2010 at which point he'd still be a valuable backup/rotational guy for a year or two. Re-signing him should have been a no-brainer.

There's no two ways about it. This was a boneheaded move on the part of our F.O. OTOH, we should be used to that by now.

Oh well, at least we have a full compliment of draft picks to replace him with....maybe with our second round pick. Oh, wait. :(

We cut Jason taylor and let Demetric Evans go. I have to think we'll draft a DE now.. Perhaps Tyson Jackson... or Brian Orakpo

We still need a starting RT, starting OLB and probably 2-3 depth LBers with very few picks. I just don't understand why, when after cutting Taylor knowing you'll need depth, you don't try to keep a guy who fits well, is cheap, wants to be here and likely would cost little to nothing more than the depth guy we'll bring in instead. That's my problem with it. It's not emotional, it's not about rewarding him for his previous efforts, it's just about the move not being intelligent given the factors I listed above. :2cents:

2yr $4M we should have kept him, bottom line. Especially if we were cutting Taylor.

Im also tired of people obsessed with age. When a dude only playes 20% of the snaps for 6 years, 29 doesnt mean much.

Best of luck to him, I still maintain he is a 7-9 sack guy. Chris Clemons rd 2 here we come.

Not a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless.

2yr $4M we should have kept him, bottom line. Especially if we were cutting Taylor.

Im also tired of people obsessed with age. When a dude only playes 20% of the snaps for 6 years, 29 doesnt mean much.

Best of luck to him, I still maintain he is a 7-9 sack guy. Chris Clemons rd 2 here we come.

Not a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless.

True, he's a young 29...

He will probably do alright in San Fran...

True, he's a young 29...

He will probably do alright in San Fran...

I certainly hope so. He works hard, keeps his nose clean and gets the job done at a position where we're short in a year in which we've got holes all over the place. What's not to like about a guy like that given our situation? Snyderatto sez...:yawnee:

Archived