Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

End for Shawn Springs in Washington?

bulldog

Since Rogers is the backup CB, I would expect him to give up very little per play while sitting on the bench. However, his interceptions might improve.
Wow. Dodging the real points here huh? That certainly makes presenting your case easier I'd imagine.

There's really not one part of this post that you can refute by any logic or honesty:

Hilarious that you'd actually compare Brunell playing dink and dunk against a horrible defense for one game, to Rogers' playing ability over the course of an entire season, while coming back early from a serious knee injury no less.

You want turnovers? Be happy we signed Hall, he'll get a few while also actually giving up more yards per play than Rogers.

You want even more turnovers? Maybe find a way to get us a real pass rush without having to break the complete bank for Haynesworth.

Get those two steps together, in unison, and we can worry about Rogers and his lack of hands despite how well he covers.

Because you know, it's also not like Springs, in his entire time here, only had one more interception than Rogers has. Or that the only person we've ever had in the past 4-5 years getting interceptions was Sean Taylor in 07. But Rogers must suck, yeah.

To summarize:

Rogers is one of the best younger cover corners in the league, both in 07 before he got hurt, and this past season when coming back early from a serious knee injury. This is statistically proven.

Rogers may not have great hands, but neither does anyone on the entire team. Nobody notices this, because Rogers is actually the only one who's ever in real position to make interceptions, while our other guys never are.

His interceptions would also increase, much like the rest of the team, if we had a decent pass rush and got upwards of 35 sacks a year.

Yes, it appears with the impending official signings of Hall and Haynesworth, Shawn maybe on the outside looking in as a "cap casualty" of sorts. And honestly, I'm not altogether too comfortable with the notion of his probable departure.

I understand the savings we reap by cutting him, but I think the world of his talents, I really do.

When healthy, Shawn is an elite cover corner. He may not have the playmaking abilities that DeAngelo brings, but I trust Shawn far more in our predominant man-free schemes than I do DeAngelo. Ideally, we'd be able to employ the triumvirate of Hall, Rogers and Springs and incorporate them into our base scheme with Hall and Landry at safety and Springs and Rogers at corner.

Truly, though, I'd be sorry to see Shawn go; he still has quality football play left in him.

gotta figure Springs is obviously gone, but i still will have good memories of his time here.

a) the pick against the Bears turned aroudn the 07 season. i also remember his pick against the Vikings in week 15 and dallas in week 17. big, big plays. might not have gotten to the playoffs without those plays.

B) even though he left the game with injury, not hard to argue that Springs was a huge reason for that Dallas win last year. i know the season didnt pan out the way we wanted, but Springs was a big reason why we had a reason to smile early on.

sorry you couldnt stay healthy, shawn, but thanks for playing big when you did.

Archived