Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KCBS Oakland: ACORN hosts "stay-in-your-home" event - "foreclosure fighters"

IHOPSkins

http://cbs5.com/consumer/forclosure.fighting.home.2.939232.html

Despite Foreclosure, Some In Bay Area Won't Budge

ACORN hosted a "stay-in-your-home" event in Oakland for those facing foreclosure Thursday, saying that foreclosure hurts not only the people being kicked out, but the whole neighborhood.

Rosa Gonzalez bought a modest home on Ritchie Street in Oakland three years ago where she now lives with her husband and daughter. Her brother-in-law, who was paying half the mortgage, was arrested, and she has fallen behind in her payments.

"So I asked them to help me out and refinance my home so they could lower my mortgage, or my interest rates, but they said no," said Gonzalez.

Her interest rate is steep, more than seven percent on the first mortgage, and more than 11 percent on the second.

Shirly Burnell was one of dozens of ACORN members who rallied on Gonzalez's front yard. She called herself a foreclosure fighter.

"To have all of these homes that are empty, and they've become an eyesore, or they have street people moving into them, and pretty soon you have a fire," said Burnell. "It's a big mess, and it doesn't help the value of the homes that are still here, and it doesn't help the people who have been thrown out of them."

Many people at the gathering also said they were unclear how President Obama's newly unveiled mortgage plan will help fix the mess.

I don't know where to stand on this...

Losing your house has happend for 100,000 years for many unfair reasons.

A modest house that 3 adults can't pay for = no.

I have a modest house that 1 person pays for... (that i believe is the definition of modest).

If this wasn't the first time the brother-in-law went to jail they probably shouldn't have trusted him to be there for them.

BUT:

There should be a moritorium on foreclosures on all banks that got cash.

the Acorn lady is confused: She's telling a homeless person to stay in this house while saying if she leaves a homeless person will move in..

Should probably have thought that on through.

I don't know where to stand on this.....

Yeah.......its tough to support forcing people out

But your point about relying on the unreliable is good

.....the Acorn lady is confused: She's telling a homeless person to stay in this house while saying if she leaves a homeless person will move in...

Should probably have thought that one through.

I didn't even think of this-excellant point.......Funny how this lady from ACORN is her OWN Judge and Jury when it comes to "social justice"

Maybe this is another reason why groups like ACORN should NOT be given Government funding???...unless you agree with ACORNs variable moral compass

I wonder what the lady from ACORN would say about a Landlord forced out because of a non-paying tenant?

Funny how this lady from ACORN is her OWN Judge and Jury when it comes to "social justice"

Maybe this is another reason why groups like ACORN should NOT be given Government funding???

Yeah, don't you just get tired of people who think that they are the judge of what's right and fair in the world? Who do they think they are?

Related:

Stop Foreclosures Now! ACORN's Anti-Foreclosure Campaign Escalates to Include Civil Disobedience

.....On January 15th, ACORN held actions in about 25 cities aimed at disrupting the sales of foreclosed homes. This included 75 people on the courtroom steps in Baltimore who stopped the sales of at least 50 homes that day and 40 people in Nassau County on Long Island who bid "$0" repeatedly as homes came up and helped at least one family keep their home. There is also good video of actions in North Carolina and of the Baltimore event......

.....So Rosa and Juan, with backing from 40 Oakland ACORN members, moved themselves into a local branch of the bank on January 15th, complete with a cot and sleeping bags in order to press their demand that the bank work with them and ACORN to modify the loan and keep them in their home.

Unsurprisingly, the bank managers immediately called the police and kicked ACORN and the Ricos out pretty quickly......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bertha-lewis/stop-foreclosures-now-aco_b_161365.html

ACORN is an opportunist piece of **** organization. If you can't afford your home...GTFO!! Seriously. I am tired of the lazy and stupid people trying to take an advantage of a bad situation. You bought the house, signed the papers, and if you can't afford it get out!! Not a hard concept.

Show me their rules.
They make them up as they go....thats one of the problems....accountability
....ACORNs variable moral compass....
"This is our house now," said Louis Beverly, ACORN.

And on Thursday afternoon, they literally broke the foreclosure padlock right off the front door and then broke into the house, letting Hanks back in for the first time in months.

"We are actually trespassing, and so this is a way of civil disobedience to try to stay in the house," said Beverly. "Legally it’s wrong, but homesteading is the only means that she has left to stay in her house.

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/acorn-trains-foreclosure-protesters

Looks like the "RULE OF LAW" isn't one of them....

ACORN is an opportunist piece of **** organization. If you can't afford your home...GTFO!! Seriously. I am tired of the lazy and stupid people trying to take an advantage of a bad situation. You bought the house, signed the papers, and if you can't afford it get out!! Not a hard concept.

I bought a newer truck because I had gotten a new job and my other car died 2 days before I started the good new job.

The truck was junk, so I traded it in for another truck that was much nicer, had higher resale value and more expensive.

I don't really need the truck anymore, but I'm still paying for it.

If I don't pay, I don't get the truck. That is how it works.

Chances are this lady would be elligable for relief, assuming the mortgage payment is above 31% of her Monthly income.
On March 4th the details come out

Do we know that the 31% elligability doesn't include additional requirements?.......missed a payment.....is upside down on the mortgage.....live in a certain area.... ect?

In California the "rules of thumb" for housing don't apply...I think alot of people would qualify if this requirement stands alone.....

"This is our house now," said Louis Beverly, ACORN.

And on Thursday afternoon, they literally broke the foreclosure padlock right off the front door and then broke into the house, letting Hanks back in for the first time in months.

"We are actually trespassing, and so this is a way of civil disobedience to try to stay in the house," said Beverly. "Legally it’s wrong, but homesteading is the only means that she has left to stay in her house.

Last time I checked, civil disobedience was a recognized form of political protest. It's a prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.

Chances are this lady would be elligable for relief, assuming the mortgage payment is above 31% of her Monthly income.

Try about 95% ,how someone got a mortgage higher than their total income would e a good question to ask.;)

The home in the 300 block of Ellwood Avenue used to be owned by Donna Hanks. She lost this home in September, after owning it since 2001. When things got tough she struggled to make her payments. Her mortgage? $1995 a month. Her income? $2200.:silly:

http://www.abc2news.com/mostpopular/story/Acorn-Breaks-into-Home/9SzMKGCA6E6YqJ9cSAZmKw.cspx

I wonder if this is true???

Thought you might be interested in some REAL information related to this foreclosure; Donna Hanks initially purchased her home (315 South Ellwood, Baltimore, MD 21224) on 7/06/2001 for $87,000. At some date between 2001 and 2006 she re-financed the original mortgage for the amount of $270,000 with a mortgage payment of $1,662.00. The FIRST foreclosure on this home was filed 5/31/2006. Donna Hanks filed for bankruptcy 6/16/06 during which a payment plan was approved for the $10,500 she was behind in her payments. This action stopped the original foreclosure. When she did not meet the terms of the bankruptcy re-payment, a second foreclosure action was started in January 2008. At the time she had not made her mortgage payments since September 2007. It should be noted that her salary per the bankruptcy paperwork was $1625 per month and she was working a 2nd and 3rd job (supposedly giving her an additional $1,275 in monthly income - the employers were not listed). Over extended? Also, during 2007 she was renting our her basement illegally (she was taken to court) and receiving rent while she was not making her mortgage payments. The mortgage company “raised” her payment $300 a month - right? Well, not exactly it was $340. The amount that she had agreed to pay back in arrears. Not exactly truthful, but what I would expect from a person with her criminal record (theft and assault 2nd degree and possession of a dangerous weapon with intent to injure). Oh and there is the small matter of breaking and entering. The house at 315 South Ellwood had already been sold at auction on 6/26/08 for $192,000. It just took them until September 2008 to get her out. Nothing like public information - it seems Acorn could have found this same information before they helped this “poor” victimized woman…………………

http://www.floppingaces.net/2009/02/20/acorn-breaks-enters-home-for-civil-disobedience-protest-somethings-rotten-in-baltimore/#more-17107

Donna Hanks initially purchased her home (315 South Ellwood, Baltimore, MD 21224) on 7/06/2001 for $87,000. At some date between 2001 and 2006 she re-financed the original mortgage for the amount of $270,000

So, what'd she do with the $200 grand she got when she refinanced?

Seems to me, if she'd quit her job, she could have made her payments for 10 years just out of her $200K income.

So, what'd she do with the $200 grand she got when she refinanced?

Seems to me, if she'd quit her job, she could have made her payments for 10 years just out of her $200K income.

Perhaps you could have ACORN ask her?

You know before we give her more money;)

Last time I checked, civil disobedience was a recognized form of political protest. ]
We should ALL stop paying our mortgages so we can ALL participate in this program....as a form of civil disobedience.......since we are all free to determine our OWN morality

"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW"....another RULE foreign to ACORN

It's a prestigious line of work......
Heck, I know a US President that used to agitate in Chicago......

.....I wonder if this is true???
I wonder also

Job Loss = Mortgage Issue...but is it the MAIN cause?

However many experts in the mortgage lending industry have also noted that anywhere from 30-70% of all mortgages inked in the last few years were based on fraudulent claims of assets or income. In those cases those owners should get out quickly and quietly... as bank fraud is a federal offense.

http://blog.foreclosures.com/post/2009/02/18/Hear-Me-on-NPR-Thursday-ACORN-Foreclosure-Sit-ins.aspx

Can we STOP assuming the majority of foreclosures are caused by Job Loss?

Actually, I wonder how many of the people who are, today, "negative" on their mortgage, got that way because, a couple of years ago, they had a lot of equity in their house, took out a bigger mortgage to turn the equity into cash, so they could sink the cash (highly leveraged, of course) into a second speculative house.

Edit: Heck, the lady in twa's example, at one point, had a house worth $270K (or more), and a mortgage of $87K (or less). Only reason she's not sitting on $200K of net worth is because she went out and took out a mortgage, to bring her debt up to match her asset.

Archived