Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Colt Brennan run the Run N Shoot offense in the NFL? Disscussion

Lavarleap56

OP is a brave man for posting something like this on the board. I actually was going to post the exact same thing three months ago as a JOKE, but wagered that people on ES aren't taking their blood pressure medication as prescribed. So... I bailed on the idea. You might as well propose that George W. Bush run for president again.

What exactly makes the run and shoot the run and shoot?? Whats the difference between run and shoot and say the fun and gun?? Can anyone elaborate more on what it is?

The receivers rarely have set routes. They basically run to where the coverage isn't. Both the quarterback and his receivers have to learn to see the same thing and know what each other is going to do.

Former Houston Oiler receiver Ernest Givins said the run & shoot was too complicated for it's own good. Mark Rypien during the Skins' 1991 superbowl run said they used on it a very limited basis and hated it.

I think if you have a QB who can run it (Colt) you can still put up good numbers in the NFL. You don't even need stellar receivers.

And it wouldn't have to be June Jones coming back to the NFL. Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride is a run & shoot guru from his Houston Oiler days.

And from my sig you can probably guess what my favorite offensive scheme is.

The key to JJ's offense was that the play evolved after the defense committed. It was split-second responsive action and hard to defend against. That's why UGA had only one objective in the SB: disable Colt Brennan.

Skins Oline will not let that happen. Will it.

Why wouldwe want too?

Colt will never be as great as Warren Moon who ran that offense the best, which resulted in how many titles???

Here are some comments June Jones made about Brennan to the Dallas News. You can read the whole article at

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/dallas-cowboys-nfl-draft-series-hawaii-q.html

EX-HAWAII HEAD COACH JUNE JONES

"All you have to do is look at the film [to know the 'system quarterback' label doesn't fit]. The people that are saying that aren't comparing him to other quarterbacks who have played in this system. He's so much more accurate, so much more competitive and so much more of a winner. ... With [ex-Hawaii QB] Timmy Chang, if you would have called me and asked me if he could play in the NFL, my answer would have been no. ... [brennan's] accuracy is that of a Jeff George or Warren Moon. His body type is that of a Chris Miller. His competitiveness is that of a Bobby Hebert. He has all the qualities of a great one. ... He can make every throw. He completed close to 70 percent of his passes. I would say 50 percent of the quarterbacks playing in the NFL can't do that against air. He did it in games.

R&S does not use a TE... Cooley is my homeboy. But I would love to see some instinctive WO's added to give Colt more options. Bess, Grice-Mullins, Jason Rivers, CJ Hawthorne and, yes, a guy from the Cardinals, come to mind.

How 'bout using those TE types in the double slots rather than those puny WRs? We call it the Power R&S.

If an offense is putting up points then it's DOING IT'S JOB. That's all you can ask it to do. If it doesn't equal a championship then the shortfall is in other areas.

I know the Patriots use a spread formation often but that isn't necessarily the run & shoot. The run & shoot is 4 wide receivers on EVERY down (the team doesn't even have a TE on the active roster) with multiple route breaks for each receiver depending on the coverage. So the QB and receivers don't even know what route will be run until after the snap and reading the coverage. If the QB and receivers are making the same reads then the defense is *always* wrong. That's why this offense can put up the points it does.

One of the biggest problems with the run and shoot was that it is a quick strike offense, the problem with that is it leaves your defense on the field for most of the game and they wear down and can't stop any body, especially as it gets late into the season. There is a reason Buddy Ryan took a swing at Gilbride.

One of the biggest problems with the run and shoot was that it is a quick strike offense' date=' the problem with that is it leaves your defense on the field for most of the game and they wear down and can't stop any body, especially as it gets late into the season. There is a reason Buddy Ryan took a swing at Gilbride.[/quote']

Lol Buddy Ryan chucked but Gilbride forgot to duck. Nevermind physical assaults on the sideline that was a fun team to watch (they started out 1-4 then won 11 straight) and our best hope for a superbowl (disappointed Oilers fan here). The offense was the original greatest show on turf and Ryan's 46 defense terrorized opposing QBs that is, except Joe Montana :(

The 1999 Rams had a quick strike offense. The 2007 Patriots were a quick strike offense. Give me a quick strike offense any day. If the defense wants to get off the field then do IT's job.

I was thinking the same thing. Only I don't drink, so I just burry my face into my pillow.

HTTR

Look at my sig to know my feelings on Campbell and Brennan. Start Brennan. I don't care who coaches, who catches or whatever. The dude is just a winner.

On a side note. I do drink. And I noticed throughout last season that the Skins games had an unusual amount of sideline camera shots focused on Brennan. So me and a friend decided to play a game of "camera shot of Brennan... take a shot of Petron."

Yeah, kinda like a "Cheers to you Colt. They don't know what monster they have on their depth chart."

Oh, and the outcome? Seven shots of Petron during the second Cowboys game.

So sad. The team we love doesn't field our best players.....

Archived