Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lechler & Bironas (or Graham)

Monk4theHall81

Outside of a pass rusher the most glaring weakness for our Skins has been the kicking game. Why not address this longtime need by signing Rob Bironas or Shayne Graham to kick and Shane Lechler to punt.

Bironas has one of the biggest legs in the game and Graham is from VA so maybe he would be inclined to come back home. Lechler has been long regarded as one of the best punters in the game.

Im hoping Vinny and co. at least take a look at trying to get these guys.

Thoughts?

From the link above...

Shane Lechler -- 32 years old

Insider Analysis

Grade 77

Expert's Take Lechler has been one of the most consistent punters in the league over his nine-year career. He has great size, an explosive leg and excellent mechanics to execute his craft. Lechler is a solid athlete, which allows him to adjust to inaccurate snaps and still get off an effective punt. He is adept at directional punting and dropping the ball inside the 20-yard line. He has outstanding value as a free agent punter and likely to be back in a Raider uniform in 2009.

Rob Bironas -- 31 years old

Insider Analysis

Grade 76

Expert's Take Bironas has become one of the most dependable and strong-legged kickers in the NFL. He hit on all 13 of his attempts from inside the 40-yard line, 80 percent of his kicks between the 40-yard-line and 50-yard-line and made his only attempt of over 50 yards. He has a natural, easy kicking motion with good body control and good follow through. He gets a quick rise on the ball and has had just one field goal blocked in four years. He has a powerful and explosive leg and has had 22 of his 85 kickoffs were not returned. He is not only dependable, but has shown the ability to come through in the clutch.

Shayne Graham -- 31 years old

Insider Analysis

Grade 75

Expert's Take Graham has been a consistent and productive kicker for the Bengals, since taking over the kicking duties in Cincinnati. He has en efficient kicking motion with a quick rise on the ball. He does a good job of handling pressure situations and poor elements. He has a strong leg and is one of the most accurate kickers in the league. He can hit from 50 yards and beyond. The Bengals did not score a lot of points last year, so his numbers were down from previous season. He gets good height on his kickoffs, but doesn't drive the ball particularly deep.

To be honest....even though we bombed on Brooks last year, I would take Graham Gano from Free Shoes over these guys...the kid is a freak.

Wasn't he the singer for the Violent Femmes?

On Brooks: I watched him at GT and thought it was an excellent pick. I didn't see his collapse coming at all.

Bironas > Grahm but either would be a great addition. For some reason I don't see our inept FO making a move for him even though our kicking game hasn't been good since Chip was still in town. As much as I don't want them here I would take Feely, Stover, or Carney over Suisham.

As far as the punters go Lechler has the best leg of the UFAs. I doubt he leaves the West Coast though.

Odd that it says Lechler is good at directional kicking, I thought dropping punts inside the 20 was one of his weaknesses, that his leg was so big he often had too many touchbacks.

I'd take Bironas over Graham strictly because of the longer, unreturned kickoffs.

Whats a game winning clutch kicker guys, does he make FG's and PAT's with any sign of consistency? I think the 'Skins had a good kicker in Lohmiller. Seriously we need Graham, or Bironas any of those are an upgrade over Suisham.

I just have this bad feeling that the competition will come down to Suisham and Rayner in some sort of bizarre special olympics like Kicking Competition. I remember a friend of mine who is a pukes fan warning me about Suisham, that he'll pick the worts moment to rip your heart out

Raiders make Lechler highest-paid punter with $12 million deal

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- All-Pro punter Shane Lechler agreed to a four-year contract Wednesday to stay with the Oakland Raiders, allowing the team to avoid a potentially tough choice in free agency.

Lechler could have become an unrestricted free agent next week after being chosen to the AFC's Pro Bowl team for the fourth time in his stellar nine-year NFL career. The Raiders didn't disclose financial terms of the deal, but it's believed to make Lechler the highest-paid punter in NFL history.

"This contract is the greatest ever given to a punter in the history of the National Football League," Raiders senior executive John Herrera told The Associated Press.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Lechler's deal is worth $12 million over four years, with $9 million guaranteed.

The deal also frees up the Raiders to apply the franchise-player tag to Nnamdi Asomugha, another potential free agent. The Pro Bowl cornerback also had the tag last season, when he made $9.765 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ecee0b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Titans, K Bironas agree to terms on four-year, $12 million contract

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans have agreed to terms with kicker Rob Bironas on a multiyear contract. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Bironas' deal is worth $12 million over four years, an NFL high for a kicker.

Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said Wednesday in announcing the deal that Bironas is one of the best kickers in the NFL.

In four seasons, Bironas has made 84.5 percent of his field-goal attempts. He's among the NFL leaders with 59 touchbacks on kickoffs.

Last season, Bironas was 29-of-33 on field-goal attempts and accounted for 127 points. The Titans originally signed him as a free agent in 2005.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ecee31&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I guess you guys didn't see this earlier in the week. Graham is out of the picture.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3911555

Bengals franchise kicker Graham

By James Walker

ESPN.com

Monday, February 16, 2009 The Cincinnati Bengals have used their designated franchise tag, and it's not on the player some expected. On Monday, the team tagged kicker Shayne Graham for the 2009 season. Graham will be paid $2.483 million, the average salary of the top five kickers in the NFL from the previous season, to remain in a Bengals uniform. "I appreciate the Bengals' recognition of my value to the team," Graham said in a statement.

Archived