Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Musicians Thread All things Guitars Gigs and other Gear

rd421

That looks like a for-real Fender in the picture (kinda fuzzy, though). Can't be sad about that. Especially when their newest product is the "Road Worn" series. :rolleyes:

It is a for-real Fender...'62 Reissue. I love it. I have been thinking about giving a Les Paul a try. I haven't tried playing one in 20 years. I just don't want to fall in love it and then not be able to buy it. ;)

Hm, PhotoBucket is not your friend. The kit sounds nice though, great cymbal choices. I'm that same way about cymbals, if it sounds great, buy it. My favorite cymbal is a Paiste Prototype Crash I picked up at Guitar Center a few years back, it's incredible. I love my K Customs, but I've cracked 2 already, and that makes me sad :(.

You can't see those pics? Weird, they're huge on my screen. :laugh:

Otherwise, my ride is the K Custom Dry Heavy Ride. It's quiet, but versatile, for a ride that isn't supposed to be crashed on. I crash on it a little; too much and it sounds like a gong. Honestly, I wish I went with the A Custom Ping or Paiste 2002 ride. K is just TOO quiet. Paiste and Sabian cymbals have broken on me constantly. Zildjian seems to have the most durable cymbals out there.

Well, I don't know if anyone is into recording but there are several toys that I want to get once I have the cash...

API lunchbox with at least 3 of their 512 preamps

Royer 121 ribbon microphone

UA 1176

Sennheiser 8040 matched microphones

I hate that my hobby and soon to be career is so expensive haha

I know what you mean. Music is a pretty expensive hobby. But you gotta spend $$ is you want good quality stuff. There is alot of cheap stuff out there but with music gear you get what you pay for.

That is especially true with audio gear too. I kind of get annoyed with people who buy a ton of crappy stuff and act like they are some champion because they have the most gear and whatnot.

I know what you mean. Music is a pretty expensive hobby. But you gotta spend $$ is you want good quality stuff. There is alot of cheap stuff out there but with music gear you get what you pay for.

NO KIDDING....My wife is about to kill me man in the last two years I have bought WAAAY TOO MUCH GEAR!!!!! But this last new kit is the last for a while....baby on the way!

You can't see those pics? Weird, they're huge on my screen. :laugh:

Otherwise, my ride is the K Custom Dry Heavy Ride. It's quiet, but versatile, for a ride that isn't supposed to be crashed on. I crash on it a little; too much and it sounds like a gong. Honestly, I wish I went with the A Custom Ping or Paiste 2002 ride. K is just TOO quiet. Paiste and Sabian cymbals have broken on me constantly. Zildjian seems to have the most durable cymbals out there.

it depends on what series you get. you cant really generalize and say a certain brand is easy to break. the sabian paragons i play look as good as the day i got them, and have never broken on me.

• 7 months later...

bumpity bump man we gotta keep threads like this going!

Since my last post I have got an

18'' K Custom Dark Crash

19'' K Custom Dark Crash

20'' A Custom Ping Ride

All of which are nice but I dont think the A custom matches what I am looking for as far as the overall tone of my cymbals...I am using some Saabian 16'' rock crashs for my Hi Hats really deep and very dirty open I dig them

bumpity bump man we gotta keep threads like this going!

Since my last post I have got an

18'' K Custom Dark Crash

19'' K Custom Dark Crash

20'' A Custom Ping Ride

All of which are nice but I dont think the A custom matches what I am looking for as far as the overall tone of my cymbals...I am using some Saabian 16'' rock crashs for my Hi Hats really deep and very dirty open I dig them

I had a beautiful K Custom Dark Crash that I managed to crack. That was a sad, sad day. My favorite right now is a 16" Paiste prototype Crash.

I had a beautiful K Custom Dark Crash that I managed to crack. That was a sad, sad day. My favorite right now is a 16" Paiste prototype Crash.

Good Lord what size was it...If I crack either of my K's I will cry and my wife will murder me:D

It was somewhere between a 16-18, I want to say it was 18". I immediately picked up an 18" Z Custom so that I knew it would last.

That really is a shame though man I love the warmth and the richness of the Ks what do think of the Z's

for all you hardcore drummers, this is a question for you.

I am a new drummer, i dont care about gigging or playing in a band, I just love the sound of drums and the rhythms that go along with it, I constantly am tapping on the desk in class and have wanted to buy a new drumset for a long time.

My question is really pertaining to durability as much as great sound because Im not a serious drummer and really don't want to have to buy or replace heads and symbals frequently. I was wondering what are the most durable symbals and heads for drums. If they sound amazing thats a bonus, I just would really like durability. Obviously i dont want the sound to be **** but anything average sounding with good durability is what Im looking for. If you could recommend symbals and heads for me that would be cool. Also if you have favorites regarding toms, snares, or bass drums, that would be much appreciated too.

for all you hardcore drummers, this is a question for you.

I am a new drummer, i dont care about gigging or playing in a band, I just love the sound of drums and the rhythms that go along with it, I constantly am tapping on the desk in class and have wanted to buy a new drumset for a long time.

My question is really pertaining to durability as much as great sound because Im not a serious drummer and really don't want to have to buy or replace heads and symbals frequently. I was wondering what are the most durable symbals and heads for drums. If they sound amazing thats a bonus, I just would really like durability. Obviously i dont want the sound to be **** but anything average sounding with good durability is what Im looking for. If you could recommend symbals and heads for me that would be cool. Also if you have favorites regarding toms, snares, or bass drums, that would be much appreciated too.

Well My first question is what type of a kit do you have? What are the tom sizes? And very importantly what type of music do you play?

I really like deeper warm tone to my kit I LOVE Remo Ambassador Coated and even the Remo Emporor Coated heads. For my kick I have ab Evans E-mad set up which I like very much. Cybals if you want them to last long Don't beat the breath out of them haha but it depends on budget and all sorts of things. I like Zildjian the best I have owned Zildjuan Sabian and Paiste and can say the Zildjians I have owned are by far my favorites they sound great and are durable. What sticks do you use? For me I find this is what I want the most durability from I live and Die by Vater recording drums sticks they are amazing and last forever before they start to lose any pop.

The best advice I can give whether you are playing out or want to or not is to play on stuff you are comfortable with. Who cares what I say you know you may love Paiste cymbals(which I personally cannot stand) and you may love Clear heads(where I prefere the warmness of a coated head) You have to find out what speaks to you and go with it.

The only right or wrong is if you like it or not...

The only right or wrong is if you like it or not...

This here.

Truth is, all heads wear out over time, and pretty much all cymbals can crack over time. As long as you don't wack the piss out of them constantly like they banged your mother, you should be fine.

Do keep in mind though, you get what you pay for. If you buy cymbals that cost as much as the average metal trash can lid - they'll likely sound similar.

Do keep in mind though, you get what you pay for. If you buy cymbals that cost as much as the average metal trash can lid - they'll likely sound similar.

BINGO!

The cool thing about drumming is no matter what level you are at you can make things the way you like them...Is spending 8 grand on a kit going to make you better? Not at all. If you are only going to play once a month in your room do you need a 380 dollar cymbal? No Way.... BUT if you are at a level where you are playing and you are trying to define your sound and your tone your going to have to pony up some cash to meet the expectations you are setting for yourself.

Cymbals, if played correctly should last a very long time. Most of the cymbals on my kit are over twenty years old now. Heads are pretty much the same. If you don't care too much about tone, and don't over play them, they can last a very long time.

On a side note, I just found out that I'll be playing percussion in the orchestra at the Little Theatre of Virginia Beach and their production of "Oklahoma". Should be fun! I'll be using my Roland TD-20s stage pro electronic drums, so I can cover all of the various percussion sounds that are called for.

Archived