Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: QB's face unsettled landscape -doh Eli and Donovan

DWinzit

Quarterbacks face an unsettled landscape

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

This offseason figures to be extraordinarily busy for quarterbacks. Of the six quarterbacks who dressed for the Pro Bowl, Kurt Warner of Arizona and Kerry Collins of Tennessee are unsigned for next season, and Eli Manning of the New York Giants is going into the final year of his contract without a star receiver.

Throw in Favre’s annual drama, Donovan McNabb’s desire for a new contract from Philadelphia, a new deal for Philip Rivers in San Diego and plenty of speculation about Matt Cassel in New England, and this offseason could feature one intriguing story after another from the NFL’s high-profile position.

4. Manning’s record contract and need for receivers. The eight-year, $102 million contract that Pittsburgh gave to Ben Roethlisberger in March 2008 featured $36.1 million in guaranteed money. The largest amount of guaranteed money remains $37 million for Michael Vick.

Three sources said this week that a new contract is expected and that Manning could be the first NFL player to get $40 million in guarantees despite the specter of a lockout after the 2010 season. There have been rumors that the deal could be done shortly, but one of the sources said a deal is probably two months away.

7. McNabb wants a financial apology. After being benched briefly in November and then coming back to lead the Eagles to a the NFC Championship game, McNabb and agent Fletcher Smith want Philadelphia to come through with a financial commitment to him. McNabb, 32, has two years remaining on his contract, which complicates things for Philadelphia.

If there’s no meeting of the minds, expect that McNabb will skip the offseason program. That won’t be popular in Philadelphia, but McNabb hasn’t ever really been all that popular with the fans anyway. The way he and Smith likely see it, what is there to lose?

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-probowlqbs020809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Say what yo uwant about him, but I'd kill for Eli Manning

Not comparing him at all to JC, but I wouldn't kill anything for him.

I still think he is a very good qb, but no way do I give him $40M guarentueed to be my franchise QB. He is in no way the best qb in the league.

On top of that, he is not consistent enough to carry a team and be marked a franchise player.

A lot of these teams are making a big mistake when it comes to signing these guys to long term, big money contracts. Kurt Warner should be offered a minimum 2 year contract, because of his age, with the deal of 6 million dollars with 2 million guarenteed and the rest based on incentives. Giving him anything more would be a risk because ofhis age. The same with Kerry Collins. Both of these guys have not proven they cam be relied on to be the answer long term. Both have also proven they are up and down. So why sign them to those type of contracts when the risk outweigh the benefits.

Donovan McNabb is a whole different but somewhat in the same category as the above two. McNabb is a proven QB but has proven that in the biggest of games he is a choker. He has been to 5 NFC Championship games with only one trip to the Super Bowl in which he was apart of in a losing effort. So giving him an extension with big money would be a mistake because of his age and not his performance. He is under contract for two more years and if he doesn't come in for training camp they move forward with Kevin Kolb and fine him for every day he is out. He has no leverage with Philly because the management there have proven that they will let star players go out in FA because they draft quality players. I am not Kevin Kolb is the answer but do you actually want a Donovan McNabb with more of a Prima Donna attitude on your team? McNabb's chances to win a Super Bowl went out the window this year after losing to Arizona in the NFC Championship game. ARIZONA!!!

Now to get to the other three. Matt Cassel is not worth the Franchise tag but is the Pats wanted an insurance policy and when Brady is back to his old self Cassel will be gone or backing up Brady the next year. He is an unknown talent really because he wasn't a highly sought after talent or looked at as a starter anywhere he has been whether at college or Pro level because of other QB's he played behind. But he may be another hidden "Tom Brady type" gem. Phillip Rivers has proven to be a winning QB has played big in games and is just like Big Ben in Pittsburg, he just seems to find a way to win. He just can't help that he has a bad HC in Norv Turner, who has proven he can kill a good talented team. Eli is the best of all of these QB's looking to get paid because he is a top 5 QB along with his brother Peyton but isn't good enough to be paid more than his brother or to be given 40 mil in guarenteed money especially when they have no big play receiver if Plaxico Burress is let go. Steve Smith, Sinorce Moss, and Kevin Boss aren't going to get you to the Super Bowl. They need a big play receiver and if Eli was smart he would tell management that he wanted a top 5 QB contract that would be spread over the life of the contract so they could use the other money to go out and get him a big, play making WR to help the team get to the Super Bowl again. Otherwise pay him that big contract and be a mediocre offense with a great defense type team. Then you will be just like the rest of the NFC East again.

I still think he is a very good qb, but no way do I give him $40M guarentueed to be my franchise QB. He is in no way the best qb in the league.

On top of that, he is not consistent enough to carry a team and be marked a franchise player.

He's not even the best QB in his family.

The Giants have gone to the playoffs every season that Eli has started the majority of their games. The only QB currently with more consecutive playoff trips is his older brother. How much more consistency does Eli need?

What kills me is McNabb wanting a financial apology. WTF is that? And may skip the OTA's? Can a hold out be far behind?

Donovan, you were playing like crap and you're getting paid millions off a contract that still has two years left, suck it up.

I could understand hoping for an extension if going into the final year of contract but come on.

If I were an Eagle fan I'd be pissed to hear money discussions and an OTA hold out is even a thought.

The Cards have to make a decision on Leinart or Warner. If it is Warner I'd sign him to a 3 year deal. Otherwise put a one year deal on the table knowing it could mean he won't be back and Leinart gets another shot.

Can you believe Favre is at it again?

Dear Brett, Please retire and stay retired.

My guess is the Pat's are praying for calls on Cassel in hopes of a package of picks.

Eli has come along way but NO way is he worth that kind of money.

I don't know what to say about Vince Young. The guy could put a team on his back at times and then there's......................:thud:

What kills me is McNabb wanting a financial apology. WTF is that? And may skip the OTA's? Can a hold out be far behind?

Donovan, you were playing like crap and you're getting paid millions off a contract that still has two years left, suck it up.

I could understand hoping for an extension if going into the final year of contract but come on.

If I were an Eagle fan I'd be pissed to hear money discussions and an OTA hold out is even a thought.

I think "financial apology" was a term coined by PFT. If not, the term itself is ludicrous and offensive.

I've been hearing about pending financial discussions for so long that I'm pretty numb to them. The prospect of him holding out for OTAs is troublesome.

I think "financial apology" was a term coined by PFT. If not, the term itself is ludicrous and offensive.

I've been hearing about pending financial discussions for so long that I'm pretty numb to them. The prospect of him holding out for OTAs is troublesome.

I don't know who coined it but if it came from him or his agent I'd find it offensiveif I were you.

Holding out should always be considered troublesome. He is attempting to put an "i" in team.

I don't know who coined it but if it came from him or his agent I'd find it offensiveif I were you.

Holding out should always be considered troublesome. He is attempting to put an "i" in team.

I'm not sure whether or not you read my post.

About the financial apology, I said that if it came from his case, I found it "ludicrous and offensive."

About potentially holding out, I said that I found it "troublesome."

It seems like you're attempting to disagree with me while saying precisely what I said.

About the financial apology, I said that if it came from his case, I found it "ludicrous and offensive."

It seems like you're attempting to disagree with me

No, just misinterpreted I guess. Just saying the financial apology term would draw more extreme offense if it originated from him or his agent that's all. :cheers:

No, just misinterpreted I guess. Just saying the financial apology term would draw more extreme offense if it originated from him or his agent that's all. :cheers:

Yeah man. If that was a term he used (or his agent in representing him) then it would be pretty unacceptable. I mean, I'd still live with it, obviously, but it would be yet another annoying response from McNabb.

As a Skins fan, I'd like to see Eli on the Giants for a long, long time.

He's okay, but not great.

Yeah, I love facing Eli Manning.

Like that time this past season when everyone in the Stadium was saying how we could stack the box and he couldn't beat us with his arm, and then he put up over 230 yards in the first half, with over 8 yards per completion. That was great. :rolleyes:

Eli's definitely a gunslinger who can make some dumb mistakes, but he also has a knack for making some really clutch throws for first downs to keep drives alive and the team moving down the field.

Not to mention the fact that since taking over as starter, he's 6-3 against the Redskins, while averaging a manageable 199 yards per game against us, with 8 TDs to 6 INTs. Perfect complement to their running game and defense, which we can't seem to game plan against at all.

Now McNabb, I'm not scared of. We definitely seem to have his number over the past few years. But Eli? Not so much. He always gets the job done just right against the Redskins.

Now McNabb, I'm not scared of. We definitely seem to have his number over the past few years. But Eli? Not so much. He always gets the job done just right against the Redskins.

Agreed.

I used to hate playing the Eagles b\c of McNabb's scrambling and running abilities. Our D would have great coverage and start closing in on him when he would take off for a 10-15 yard gain. The past few years though, he hasn't been as much of a downfield running threat due to all of his injuries.

Eli has done a good job against us the past 2 years. He's been able to remain unruffled and come up with some clutch plays.

I laugh when people knock McNabb as far as his play. I've stated this in another thread. McNabb has to be one of the few QB's I've ever seen to put up the #'s he's put up and only have one 1000yd WR his whole career. Thank Goodness that the Eagles administration have been cheap and stupid when it comes to acquiring WR's. He's had one legit Wr his whole career and that was T.O. for one season. Until this season his second best WR statistically was James Thrash. Desean Jackson may turn out to be the real deal but that remains to be seen.

McNabb has 194 td's to 90 ints. Thats a plus 104 margin. McNabb has put up respectable #'s over his career despite having stellar talent around him. To put that in perspective Troy Aikman has 165 tds to 141 ints. He was voted a 1st ballot HOfamer. He's deemed by many as " Mr. Accurate". Keep in mind that Donavan has played with far less talent at the WR's position and played about 30 less gamesthan Troy. Now I know what some are gonna say. Troy has 3 rings. Thats his teams' success. Don't confuse a teams' success with an individuals' ability. Troy had Micheal Irvin, Jay Novacek, Daryl Johnston and Emmitt Smith not to mention a pro bowl line. Not that Troy wasn't good but stick him on some of those Philly teams and he'd be mud.

Kurt Warner is good and the powers that be had him ready for HOF if he had won the Superbowl this season. Some are still saying he deserves it. He's probably played with the most talent I've ever seen a Qb play with. Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Ricky Proehl, Marshall Faulk , Larry Fitagerald, Anquan Boldin etc. He should put up #'s

People are ready

I laugh when people knock McNabb as far as his play. I've stated this in another thread. McNabb has to be one of the few QB's I've ever seen to put up the #'s he's put up and only have one 1000yd WR his whole career. Thank Goodness that the Eagles administration have been cheap and stupid when it comes to acquiring WR's. He's had one legit Wr his whole career and that was T.O. for one season. Until this season his second best WR statistically was James Thrash. Desean Jackson may turn out to be the real deal but that remains to be seen.

McNabb has 194 td's to 90 ints. Thats a plus 104 margin. McNabb has put up respectable #'s over his career despite having stellar talent around him. To put that in perspective Troy Aikman has 165 tds to 141 ints. He was voted a 1st ballot HOfamer. He's deemed by many as " Mr. Accurate". Keep in mind that Donavan has played with far less talent at the WR's position and played about 30 less gamesthan Troy. Now I know what some are gonna say. Troy has 3 rings. Thats his teams' success. Don't confuse a teams' success with an individuals' ability. Troy had Micheal Irvin, Jay Novacek, Daryl Johnston and Emmitt Smith not to mention a pro bowl line. Not that Troy wasn't good but stick him on some of those Philly teams and he'd be mud.

Kurt Warner is good and the powers that be had him ready for HOF if he had won the Superbowl this season. Some are still saying he deserves it. He's probably played with the most talent I've ever seen a Qb play with. Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Ricky Proehl, Marshall Faulk , Larry Fitagerald, Anquan Boldin etc. He should put up #'s

People are ready

Kevin Curtis had 1,100 yards in 2007.

Archived