Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of Greg Blache, defensive linemen and linebackers...

Pounds

Debunking the "untruths"

It is my contention that the front four, preceded only by the secondary, is an immutable strength of our defense. While I don’t agree with Blache’s schemes in how he uses his players along the d-line, there is no arguing their effectiveness in what they are asked to do, which is to occupy blocks. In application this occupation of blocks is not unlike offensive linemen blocking for a running back, but instead the defensive linemen are blocking for their linebackers.

Surely, by now, the reader thinks I’m crazy to assert such a claim judging by the numbers, or in this case, complete lack thereof.

We were tied for 28th in the league for sacks with just 24 and according to Football Outsiders we had an adjusted sack rate of 4.6%, which is roughly 27% lower than the league average of 6.3%. I answer this question of my sanity by pointing out to the reader that we are the only team to be in the bottom half of these important statistics by choice and, surely, by no lack of talent.

The aforementioned statistics are symptomatic of an approach that serves as the backbone of our defensive philosophy: stop the pass with our secondary, but combat the run with our front four allowing the backers behind them to read, react and make plays, both in the passing and running games.

Still, even in an era so blighted by parity and redefined by rule changes aiding the passing game, teams, philosophically, rely heavily on the run. So it makes some sense for Greg Blache to approach defense this way. Defensively, game-to-game success is measured by stopping the run, but championship defenses are designed to stop the pass.

With a secondary ranked fourth against the pass, in terms of yardage per game allowed, Greg Blache figures that both individually and collectively he has the players in the back end which allow him to disguise coverages and subsequently make opposing offenses one-dimensional. Therefore, Blache utilizes the front four in helping to combat the remaining dimension: the running attack.

As mentioned, their primary task is the occupation of blocks, forcing runners to move laterally and to the outside, theoretically funneling them to our OLBers. Often times, our ends are lined up in the five-technique, shading the tackle’s outside shoulder, with Anthony Montgomery, or Kedric Golston, or both, playing two-gaps, in run hindering alignments. For the most part, they perform this task very effectively, although at the expense of their individual statistics. Many times, in fact, Blache designed schemes that had Montgomery lined up in the three-technique, a position not exactly suited to his strengths, along with Kedric Golston, who lined up in the one-technique; this coupling, to me, served as a bold illustration for Blache’s commitment to stopping the run.

The Issues

The problem with this defense is the lack of consistent play from every one of our backers not named London Fletcher. Marcus Washington, while still above average when healthy, struggles to play more than half a season, his counterpart on the weak-side, Rocky McIntosh wore down so horribly in the second half that Blache decided Alfred Fincher represented the better solution and benched Rocky.

I submit to the reader this: when Alfred Fincher is receiving playing time on defense in your starter’s stead, linebacker depth and play should be a tremendous concern, especially when one considers this group’s importance to the scheme.

Our only depth at this position is the Swiss Army knife-like H.B. Blades, who’s talents are best suited for the middle, not for the strong-side where is diminutive stature is exploited, serving as further evidence that the LBer corp is the one in dire need of addressing.

The Trench

One of the more widespread misnomers I encounter regarding defense is this concept of the "trench." It is a total fallacy and nothing more than illusion, postulated and perpetuated by media types, whom really don’t understand what they think they see.

What is a "trench" in relation to a defense? I know the most common answer one would offer is that it is the four down linemen. But those that offer such an overly simplistic answer are wrong.

The "trench" notion in reference to today’s complex defensive strategies, to make any kind of sense, should apply to a defense’s middle strength, i.e., it’s DTs, MIKE, and free and strong safeties.

Each of these positions is a strength for this defense, from Golston, Griffin, and Montgomery to London Fletcher to LaRon Landry, Kareem Moore, Reed Doughty and Chris Horton.

Cornelius is one of the best run stopping DTs in the NFC. Kedric is a young, solid player, particularly adept against the run and, specifically, draw plays. Montgomery, if allowed to use his instincts as opposed to the read-and-react demands of two gap play, could develop into one of the better young, one-technique tackles in the NFL. London’s play, even at his age, has not tapered off even slightly with his effectiveness closely tied to that of the DTs in front of him, occupying blocks. And the triumvirate of Landry, Horton, and Moore allow Blache to skillfully mask his coverages.

The only missing element to our middle strength is a three-technique capable of wrecking backfield havoc, but players of such ilk are hardly run-of-the-mill.

The Conclusion

For this defense, as currently constructed, with Blache as DC to continue any kind of upward progress, the front office must address the LBing corp ASAP, and, if need be, completely at the expense of the defensive line; particularly on the strong and weak sides.

Depth at LBer is an inarguable issue, but the addition of a play-making element would radically alter our defensive modus operandi.

Did you write this? It is well thought out and all would appreciate a link and the proper formatting if you did not write it. ie-naming the source and providing a link.

It is very accuarate in terms of philosphy for Blanche. We need another LBer who can get to the QB.

While I agree that LB is a concern, especially that in Blache's defensive scheme, I do not agree with the scheme itself. We may rank well in yards, but we do not create enough turnovers which is usually caused by QB pressure (ie fumbles, sacks, ints) and it usually allows QB's to extend plays. The longer a QB has to throw the ball, no matter how good the DB's, WR will win 9 times out of 10 to find an open spot.

I think Blache needs to revamp what he is doing. We undoubtebly need a penetrating DT. I think LB right now can be addressed in the FA while drafting a young prospect in the later rounds.

Yeah. It's my testimony to an over-abundance of free time.

When I write something like this I like to clearly state my thesis, offer counter claims and rebuke them as best I can.

What you are saying is more fact than opinion. Hard to argue that. My only "counter claim" is that our defense would be more effective if he changed the scheme. I'm not crazy about it. I think more can be done if we had a strong DL and attacked more.

Man I totally agree about the LB corps. If we don't upgrade soon, we're going to see a defense like the one of 2006 (remember Highway 57?) that couldn't stop the run to save its life. The year that Sean Taylor had way more tackles than a Safety should because we just couldn't stop anything up front.

I agree with your post, and I'm intrigued by your re-classification of the "trench" as the defense "up the middle." I'm willing to buy this, although I'll need some more time to weigh it. For example, the NYG dominance in the "trenches," as it were, is not particularly due to special play from DTs and safeties. Fred Robbins is the only such player on that team that I'd refer to as even above-average.

But let's say I'm willing to accept this concept. I think the flaw in your analysis is here:

Each of these positions is a strength for this defense, from Golston, Griffin, and Montgomery

Griffin is still solid when healthy, but how often can we expect that to be the case, as he ages further? Golston is underrated, on this board especially, but not an impact player. Monty has talent, but anyone who watched him last season has to be disappointed. We're probably sitting in the top 5 in the league at the MLB position and with our safety duos, the other two units you mentioned. But at the DT spot, if we consider 3-4 NTs as a "unit," we're probably struggling to crack the top 20. Not good enough. This is why it sucks on a big, fat egg that Raji tore up the Senior Bowl, because he'd have been ideal for securing our success in the trenches, no matter how you define the term.

Still, your point is well-taken. The LB position clearly needs upgrading, particularly at the SAM. I expect Rocky to hold up better this season, further removed from his injury, but Marcus is pretty much done, I believe. Karlos Dansby and Leroy Hill would be very attractive premium FA targets for me, and I really like the idea of Rey Maualuga at SAM if he falls to us. Guy's a wrecking ball, pure and simple.

While I agree that LB is a concern, especially that in Blache's defensive scheme, I do not agree with the scheme itself.

You and I are in the same boat.

Greg is a good coordinator, but I don't agree with his strategy or execution thereof. Sometimes, he seems down-right foolish.

He has both Andre Carter and Jason Taylor, who, on passing downs, can really get after it, yet he mismanages both. To that end, as opposed to letting his down four generate any pressure he much prefers the ill-timed blitz, which, specifically, killed us in the second of our two games against the Giants.

We may rank well in yards' date=' but we do not create enough turnovers which is usually caused by QB pressure (ie fumbles, sacks, ints) and it usually allows QB's to extend plays. The longer a QB has to throw the ball, no matter how good the DB's, WR will win 9 times out of 10 to find an open spot.[/quote']

You are spot-on. Greg's approach seems to be, and it is a widely applied one, forcing opposing offenses into long and time-consuming drives in the hopes that eventually they fizzle-out or make a mistake.

I think Blache needs to revamp what he is doing.

We can only hope, my friend...

You are spot-on. Greg's approach seems to be, and it is a widely applied one, forcing opposing offenses into long and time-consuming drives in the hopes that eventually they fizzle-out or make a mistake.

I think its very apparent that the problem is even greater when facing opponents who go into a two minute drill and we go "prevent" or what have you. Because our DL is not one built for collapsing the pocket, when teams go 4 wide, we become really expose as the QB's have had time to pick us apart. This happened on several occasions this year.

:cheers:

I agree with your post, and I'm intrigued by your re-classification of the "trench" as the defense "up the middle." I'm willing to buy this, although I'll need some more time to weigh it. For example, the NYG dominance in the "trenches," as it were, is not particularly due to special play from DTs and safeties. Fred Robbins is the only such player on that team that I'd refer to as even above-average.

While Robbins is an above-average player, he is joined by Barry Cofield and Jay Alford; two of the NFC East's young and up-and-coming DTs. Also on passing downs, Tuck slides down the line and plays from the three-technique, bolstering NY's already formidable DT rotation.

As far as their safeties, NY's back end gets overshadowed by the play of their LBs and d-linemen, but that's not to say that they are not a strength. In this case, though, they play in the figurative shadow cast by the front four.

Griffin is still solid when healthy' date=' but how often can we expect that to be the case, as he ages further?[/quote']

This is the only real concern I have on the line. Griffin's age will, at some point, play prominently into this group's overall performance.

Monty has talent' date=' but anyone who watched him last season has to be disappointed.[/quote']

More than any one factor, Monty is a victim of circumstance. His play tapered off because Blache decided to start one of his favorites in Kedric.

If Monty was allowed to play more instinctively, the results would be more favorable.

It's no coincidence that under Greg(G!) Williams, Monty had one of the best seasons of any DT in the league, but under Blache, when stuck riding the pine, he's not as impactful.

More than any one factor, Monty is a victim of circumstance. His play tapered off because Blache decided to start one of his favorites in Kedric.

If Monty was allowed to play more instinctively, the results would be more favorable.

It's no coincidence that under Greg(G!) Williams, Monty had one of the best seasons of any DT in the league, but under Blache, when stuck riding the pine, he's not as impactful.

What do you honestly think about Golston?

I think more can be done if we had a strong DL and attacked more.

I think the d-line was a strength of this defense, it's just not as evident as there are a lack of stats in quantifying the group's impact. And, we really do attack. In fact, much more than I think we have to.

I don't have the stats on hand, but I'd be willing to bet that we were one of the more blitz-intensive teams in the league; a fact that lost us at least one game.

My biggest problem with our defense isn't so much with its philosophy, but more the players ability to properly execute it through the whole game. Our defense always looks strong for the first three quarters and manages to keep our offense in games, but there are too many times at the end of games when our secondary gets beat on the final two or three drives for long completions simply because they are too worn out to properly execute.

If our linebackers were a little more effective in terms of creating confusion in the backfield on blitzes, especially towards the end of the game when opposing teams are in hurry up offense mode, our ability to win wouldn't have to "hang by a thread" so much and rely on 2 or three guys playing perfect coverage in the last 2 minutes. I think the coaching staff needs to take this into account more when they start calling blitz packages towards the end of the game, and not leave the secondary out to dry to such an extreme. To me it creates a much bigger opportunity for a big play to occur.

Great post! I totally agree that our D-line is primly used to hold up blocks and we do need to add some quick lb's. But it may be time for Blache to change his ways cause they way teams are winning is by rushing the passer! ie: Steelers, Giants, Ravens!!!! I'd abs love for us to goto a 3-4 eventhough i know its not going to happen!!

What do you honestly think about Golston?

I think he's the epitome of a Greg Blache kind of guy: maximum effort, good against the run, fully versed in his responsibilities and fluent in his techniques.

His impact won't show in the stats, but it's an undeniable one. Good teams must have players like Kedric, who make good players look even better.

Pounds, this is an interesting thread topic and well-presented. I have a question about your argument, though.

Jim Zorn told us very recently that he wants our defense to be more aggressive next season in getting sacks which lead to takeaways and more short-field advantages. It seems likely that, if Blache is to comply with his orders, he will have to abandon his stop-the-run-first goal. and, if he does that, the entire defensive scheme will have to be changed.

Now, your conclusion begins with the premise "for this defense, as currently constructed..." leaves me wondering if that premise is even necessary to your conclusion. If the D line is a stronger unit than the linebackers, isn't it likely that it will be the stronger unit regardless of the scheme Blache employs?

You make some very good points, Pounds.

I like to think that an improved offense, able to score more, and hold the ball longer, would allow us to get after the QB more often on obvious passing downs. And, like you said, we blitzed a good deal, we just didn't get there. Better linebackers would improve our success.

Also, if Daniels makes it back, he can move to tackle on passing downs. He had a better push than either Monty or Kedric, IMO.

Then, we switch Carter to the other side, and line Taylor up at his natural side.

Taylor-Griffin-Daniels- Carter, with some young stud LB coming of the edge on third and long, sounds good to me.

stop the pass with our secondary, but combat the run with our front four allowing the backers behind them to read, react and make plays, both in the passing and running games.

This is the problem in my eye with the scheme, though with our player base it is probably the best we could do. The best defenses DO NOT read and react to what an offense does, rather, they ATTACK the LOS and make the offense adapt to them. Living in NJ I happen to hear Rex Ryan's introductory press conference and one of the first things he said is (and I am paraphrasing) "I want to make this defense go from a read-n-react defense to one that relentlessly attack the line of scrimmage and the QB".

Now having said that we are in no position to become this attacking style of defense due to our talent limitation. So in my opinion kudos to Blache for doing what his talent allows him to do (which Pounds did an excellent job of explaining). Therefore I agree with you conclusion that, for the Skins style of defense to improve, getting better at the LB position is a must.

edit: Rex Ryans exact quote from his intro press conference...

"We're not going to read-and-react, that's for somebody else. We're going to be attacking from the whistle. You're going to see us not (just playing) to the whistle, but through the whistle and that's how we're going to play. We're going to turn the heat up. We're going to let the fur fly and see what happens."

Vinny states the need to better pressure the QB as does Zorn and Blache. IMO, Blache does not think our DL is as good as you do apparently and neither do I. It's a glaring weakness and has been for far too long. I don't care what the stats say. We need to get to the QB better period.

I think the d-line was a strength of this defense, it's just not as evident as there are a lack of stats in quantifying the group's impact. And, we really do attack. In fact, much more than I think we have to.

I don't have the stats on hand, but I'd be willing to bet that we were one of the more blitz-intensive teams in the league; a fact that lost us at least one game.

Really? I really didn't think we blitzed all that much. It seemed to me we did much more with Williams, and that was something Blache said when he came in, that we would play more man and blitz less.

If the DL were more stout, I don't think we would need to blitz as much or send as many blitzers.

I think he's the epitome of a Greg Blache kind of guy: maximum effort, good against the run, fully versed in his responsibilities and fluent in his techniques.

His impact won't show in the stats, but it's an undeniable one. Good teams must have players like Kedric, who make good players look even better.

Perhaps Golston is a perfect fit for Blache's goal and scheme. I suppose though that he is not what I personally would want.

I would like to emulate more a defense like the Titans, Giants, Ravens, and Steelers. One where they are more reliant on the DL collapsing the pocket, and blitzing taking pressure off of the corners. Obviously the Ravens and Steelers run a 3-4, but there front 3 are stout and make it easier for their LB's to get to the QB. Same with the Titans and Giants. A strong front four making it easier for the LB's to sneak in a get after the QB when called to blitz.

Did you write this? It is well thought out and all would appreciate a link and the proper formatting if you did not write it. ie-naming the source and providing a link.

I think its very sad that someone creates an intelligent post with a well-thought out, well-articulated argument, and the first reaction is to question whether the OP is really the author.

it says alot about the quality of posts we have become used to here.

Archived