Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't Let Rogers Become the next Pierce and Clark

Chiefinonhaze

I couldn't care less about Carlos Rogers leaving the Redskins. Has never played up to the #9 draft position and yet acted like he did. If the Skins can get a 3rd for him, I'd be happy.

The ONLY reason I'd hate to see Rogers go is that with his departure, this group of jokesters ruining....I mean running this team will draft a corner in the first round and continue to ignore the lines. (Exactly like they did in 2005 when they let Smoot go and draft Rogers)

I couldn't care less about Carlos Rogers leaving the Redskins. Has never played up to the #9 draft position and yet acted like he did. If the Skins can get a 3rd for him, I'd be happy.

The ONLY reason I'd hate to see Rogers go is that with his departure, this group of jokesters ruining....I mean running this team will draft a corner in the first round and continue to ignore the lines. (Exactly like they did in 2005 when they let Smoot go and draft Rogers)

I'd say Carlos has performed as well as anyone else in that top ten considering his stats show him as a top ten CB last year. There were some good picks later, but this was pretty much the consensus top ten picks in terms of talent. And while DeMarcus Ware and Merriman went 11 and 12, they just don't fit our system.

These top ten picks is yet another reason we shouldn't trade a proven commodity for a gamble on a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick.

1. SF - Alex Smith, QB

2. MIA - Ronnie Brown, RB

3. CLE - Braylon Edwards, WR

4. CHI - Cedric Benson, RB

5. TB - Carnell Williams, RB

6. TEN - Adam Jones, CB

7. MIN - Troy Williamson, WR

8. ARI - Antrell Rolle, CB

9. WAS - Carlos Rogers, CB

10. DET - Mike Williams, WR

Wow, I seriously can't believe that we have another one of these threads...

Out of everyone talking about trading Carlos, very few think that he's a lousy corner. I know he's good. But when a guy says he wants out of DC, and asks for a trade, then there's not much good that's going to come from not fulfilling his wishes. If he truly does want out and we don't let him, you think he's going to perform the same for us next year? Hell no.

He wants out of DC if he cant be a starter here. Which is completley warrented. It should be Rogers and Hall starting next year, with Smoot and Tryon as Backups. Not only will cutting springs save money, itll let us keep both the young talented corners.

I'm still confused as to why he was demoted. I saw nothing from Carlos that showed that his skills had dropped off, and if anything, given the fact that he was coming off a horrible injury, he played beyond any expectations.

I love shawn springs, and I think Hall showed he's an asset to the team, but why alienate Carlos. Springs is on the downside of his career. Whether he wants to believe it or not, he's only good for half of the games on the schedule and to me, that's not enough. He's not dependable. we need to get rid of him, whether it's cutting him, or trading him.

I would love to see our line up next year go something like this, Rogers, hall, tryon, smoot and an unnamed player, preferably a draft pick or a free agent pick up. With a few tweaks here and there, this defense can get alot younger and still be full of proven talent. The reason i say Tryon should be bumped up to #3 is because he HAS to be. If he can't play, he's dead weight, but we need to find out.

I'd rather have a CB that covers well consistently than somebody that just catches well. Rogers is a keeper. And Rogers had to cover some #1's this year and he did a good job.

About your sig "I'm a fresh fan" Those shoes are on photobucket buddy!!!Not in you closet,I could snatch a photo of a million bucks and say"I'm a rich fan",but then I would be full of :pooh: !!!!!!:stop:

It wouldn't be like Pierce or Clark because we'd be TRADING him and getting a player or two in return. That's a rather large difference. If we sign Hall, it might simply not leave the dough to sign Rogers in 2010. That's a fiscal reality -- or a possible one. Should the team roll the dice and risk losing Rogers to some ludicrous Dockery-like signing next year or try to get a pick or two in return now?

Someone already said it: this is nothing to do with being down on Rogers. I like him a lot and would love to see a Hall/Rogers tandem for years, but that's going to be very expensive.

I ain't feelin' Carlos Rogers. Let him GO!

And replace him with who? Springs is old and his contract is enormous for a player that missed half the season. Smoot played terrible and is either starting to show his age or was injured. Who else do the Skins have?

Draft picks? nope. There are 4 and they need ALL of them for other areas of need.

What's your backup plan once the skins "let go" of Rogers?

He feel disrespected because Skins are not redoing his contract... and rightfully so.

It's idiotic if the skins let him leave. it's essential to have 2 young corners to build around, but the retarded GM here seems to think that getting a 3rd of a season from Springs warrants keeping him and paying him ~7mil a year.

It's disrespectful to not re-do his contract a year early? That's ridiculous.

Personally, I think the trade rumors surrounding Carlos are purely speculative; a function of offseason media-generated gossip. I've not heard anyone other than JLC peddling this as a distinct possibility, and if any other outlet is, indeed, reporting it, they are likely piggybacking off the same riff. I'm not faulting JLC, but I understand that his job is to garner reader's attention and web page hits, while not needing to be totally accurate with what he reports.

If anything is in fact going on, it's likely our front office's attempt to gauge interest around the league; due diligence, if you will.

Yeah, those who say he hasn't earned the #9 pick haven't looked at the players chosen ahead of him.

This isn't a money thing. Springs should be gone and rogers should get the money springs was making. There is no way this team doesn't have enough money to sign rogers to an extension just because of the hall deal. Heck, if you remember, 2010 is an uncapped year. That means we can pay him as much as we feel like. We don't need another half year from Springs.

He is 10x better than Smoot.

Maybe we can trade Smoot for a draft pick....or at least a hot cheerleader.

I doubt we find many takers. Smooter just finished a season in which he played like one the lesser corners in the league. The guy is just not good.

I ain't feelin' Carlos Rogers. Let him GO!

Well, since you put it like that; yeah, we should totally get rid of one of our more productive defensive players!

I'm sorry you feel that way....may I suggest you actually turn your TV on Sundays and watch the Redskins play this time in this coming season?

I'm not advocating that we trade Carlos but some of you guys are acting as if he's Rod Woodson in his prime.

Carlos Rogers is a solid to very good CB. But I think its a mistake to act like he's an elite level CB.

Can he be? Yes. But is he at that level yet? Nope.

Let's be honest guys...we are in a major, major rebuilding period.

And by the time we are ready to compete Carlos will probably be past his prime anyway.

As I said before, I'm not advocating that we trade him but I definitely don't think he's some unique talent who's untouchable.

In fact, depending upon the contract he wants...we might have to trade him.:2cents:

We have to trade Rogers to get back our 2nd round pick that we wasted on Jason Taylor. GG

Many people feel the way you do, but I don't understand it.

Let's say we get a second round pick for Carlos:

1)We didn't get good value, because he was a top ten pick (who is now entering his prime).

2)We now have a massive hole at Cornerback, and with no pass rush our defense goes back to 2006 levels.

3)We now have a rookie second round pick, who offers around a 50/50 chance that he will turn into a good player in a few years, instead of a player we know can play. (yes, a small handful of rookies are able to be starters straight away, but it's a very low percentage)

I just don't see the logic in trading Carlos for a second round pick.

You honestly think that Rogers has played up to his draft status?

Yes, give me one reason he hasn't? Don't say he can't catch either. If he was able to catch then he would of been converted to a WR. There is a reason DB's are DB's and not WR's. Hail to the almighty DHall. Do you think if Dhall ran 100 routes as a WR he would catch more balls than Santana Moss? He gave up 2 TD's.....what more can you honestly ask for?

Take a look at that draft and name 9 better players that should have been selected over him. At the very least he's in the top 15 players from that draft so far.

All that proves is that the 2005 draft was somewhat weak.

And yes...there are nine players I would have taken before Carlos.

Check that draft out one more time. :)

rogers should be the top priority... he was the biggest key in our pass defense... if we lose him we have two washed up players in smoot and springs and another guy who's talent is questionable in deangelo hall... and we're getting rid of a top 10 NFL cornerback

There's nothing questionable about Hall's talent. His attitude is a different story. :2cents:

You honestly think that Rogers has played up to his draft status?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, really. Are you saying that because Carlos was the ninth pick overall that somehow his performance isn't good enough? Or that the Redskins over-valued him at the position in which he was drafted? There seems to be some kind of built-in supposition to the question you pose here.

Ultimately, draft position as little or nothing to do with the particular player's end development (i.e. how good/bad that player ends up being).

Regardless, though, I think, considering the corners that were drafted along with him, Carlos was the best choice, at any pick position. But, one could make an argument for Corey Webster as being the better choice.

Archived