Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MVN - Trade Rumors only

J.Campbell17

Yeah, yeah.

Same old routine from you. You're a Carlos Rogers troll basically, and every time you've actually been presented with a real debate and had the stats thrown in your face about how he good he really is, you've abandoned the thread with your tail between your legs, never to be seen again. Until you pop up again in another thread with another post like this.

At this point, your act is more transparent than McD5's with Betts.

Rogers isnt a cover corner, but he is probaly one of the best cover 2 corners in the league. He doesnt have elite speed, we all know the boy cant catch, and I remember seeing him get burnt quite a few times this year when not getting safety help (home against giants-think it was Toomer which is pathetic, and again against cincy - i think it was Henry, not much better) and these are just off the top of my head, I know there were more. What he can do is cover fairly well, tackle his *** off and can lay the wood when given the oppurtunity (Cribbs). I think if we can get a low 2nd rounder for him we need to take it because hes gonna want to get paid after 09 and hes not worth the money he wants in our system. Trade him to a cover 2 team, sign Hall, and draft some freekin lineman. I also don't think there are any elite cover 2 corners in the draft either so his value this offseason is at its peak.

Guys, even Vinny is not that stupid that he would trade Rogers unless he signed Hall long term. We have a while to sign Hall and a while before trading season opens. And, assuming Vinny's time table comments were correct, the team is still going through the process of evaluating all players and making off season plans with FO and coaching staffs.

I don't disagree with trading Hall for the simple reason of what LL56 pointed out that Rogers value is currently high. Yes, we could keep Rogers for another season, but he is going to want big CB money to stay. Get value now because we probably won't get it next off season. Well, if we pay Hall big CB money the team might not want to put that much money into another CB. The team does have other needs like Oline and Dline. Only so much cap space.

Springs has no trade value so keeping him another season makes sense from a business prospective. And that's the point that myself and others are making. From a business prospective trading Rogers makes sense. I like Los and would like to see him come back, but business is business.

It would be nice if Tryon grows into a number 2 CB. Having Springs around for another season would allow the team time to find a replacement for Rogers.

Remember, we got Hall for free. So, getting a second round pick for Rogers is not a total loss of the number nine pick in the draft from a few years ago.

Seems like those that are advocating not trading Rogers are basing their argument on his solid play, while many of those that lean towards trading him are basing their argument on business (receiving value, the cap, etc.).

Both sides have merit.

While Rogers has improved and is a very GOOD corner, I see no issue with trading him IF the FO is able to resign D. Hall and IF we receive an attractive trade offer for Rogers. If the FO doesn't intend on paying him the big bucks he's going to walk after the 09' season anyway and we will get nothing in return. With that in mind, the idea of receiving value for him now deserves strong consideration.

I'd consider trading Betts for a guy like Shonn Greene

Shonn Green is slow. You'd just be drafting another Betts, however I do agree that Betts would be the one to trade. We need a speed back to counter or workhorse Portis. Get a 4th for Betts and maybe we can get the speed back in the draft.

ok now im not sure if anybody thought about this butttttt its a huge what if:

A. we trade carlos rogers for like a 2nd round draft pick, and maybe a 4th or such right.

b. we dump springs keep smoot.

c. re-sign hall

d. pick up nnamdi asumugha!!!!!

no ok lets be realistic here..

trading rogers is the worst thing as a franchise we could do. why would we keep springs, who is like 35 years old and his calves are like glass, he cant even play more then 6 games a year. 8 games tops. i cant believe that we actually benched rogers for spite of springs healthy! thats the thing that made him upset and i would be too, cause honestly...if you playin good all year long and a vet comes healthy...why is he not working himself into the lineup but i get benched? that'd piss me off. trading moss is obsurd and whoever made the rumors up needs to wake up.

Seems like those that are advocating not trading Rogers are basing their argument on his solid play, while many of those that lean towards trading him are basing their argument on business (receiving value, the cap, etc.).

Both sides have merit.

While Rogers has improved and is a very GOOD corner, I see no issue with trading him IF the FO is able to resign D. Hall and IF we receive an attractive trade offer for Rogers. If the FO doesn't intend on paying him the big bucks he's going to walk after the 09' season anyway and we will get nothing in return. With that in mind, the idea of receiving value for him now deserves strong consideration.

And from a business perspective it still doesn't make sense to trade Carlos.

Drafting a corner to replace him would take a 1st or 2nd round pick. Which we need on the lines, and would take 2-3 years to develop. Meanwhile who starts opposite Hall? Springs? Smoot? Tryon? All laughable ideas for a full season.

Signing a good veteran FA corner to replace Rogers? The way the market is going for solid FA cornerbacks, that'll cost us at least 40 million, meaning we could just resign Carlos for about 5 million more in the meantime. So financially that's not only not saving us any real money to speak of, it's the idea of letting our own homegrown 1st round pick go and replacing him with a guy who wouldn't know our scheme as well, while just further pushing the league notion that we don't take care of our own guys, we just want the next FA.

The notion of the Redskins trading a younger, very talented cover corner like Rogers that they drafted, just because they don't want to pay him the fair market price he deserves (and could easily get somewhere else), only to replace him with a draft pick or worse yet, a FA corner, is what makes the Redskins the very mediocre franchise that they are in a nutshell. Just ass backwards team building.

carlos is on the trade block and the skins are looking for a second round pick as compensation. carlos being traded depends alot on if Hall stays or not but Hall staying is looking pretty good at this point. as far as everything else in the article havnt heard anything about it especially horton being moved. landry wont be here anymore either following next season or year 4 so moving horton would be stupid imo.

This post is so matter of fact sounding I have to ask...aren't you the dude who was saying Greg Williams was coming back to Washington and Zorn was getting fired a few weeks back?

This is stupid and why the redskins a mediocre franchise. Carlos rodgers played pro bowl caliber corner for 3/4 of the season after he worked his tail off to get back from 3 torn ligaments. He is going into the prime of his career. We need to give a new conract or franchise tag Hall. Keep Carlos because he is under contract so he can complain all he wants. Look into restructuring springs contract and if he wont cut him. Moss thing sounds like a complete rumor and im not knocking moss but with all the injurys i think his value is more to the redskins then in the trade market.

Like Springs said recently, he will restructure all day because that puts more money into his pocket. But he will never stay here and take a pay cut. If we play hardball with him we will be cutting him guarenteed and my guess is he would end up in Dallas.

And if he's not somehow in the Redskins long term plans, they're as stupid as everyone else in the league takes them to be.

He's worth a 45 million dollar contract or so. So we have two options here:

1- Pay the man the money he deserves for his outstanding coverage ability, and for the fact that he's a great talent that WE PICKED IN THE FIRST ROUND.

or

2- Trade him for God knows what and use that pick on God knows what (another Fred Davis? Chad Rinehart? or Rocky McIntosh?), or just let him walk in FA, leaving a gaping hole at our best cover corner spot (which isn't fit for DeAngelo Hall and his gambling tendencies) that we would have to replace by either spending a first or maybe 2nd round pick on a corner for (while waiting for him to develop in 2-3 years), or by signing a replacement in FA which would cost at least 40 million or so according to the rate the market is headed for top FA corners.

So again- re-sign Carlos next season to the deal he's played well enough for, or just take two steps backwards in the secondary by letting him go.

Excellent post. I quoted it because the people that think because Rogers hasn't shown the ability to make INT's doesn't mean the man sucks by any means.

How many times are we going to draft players, they produce, and then we stand by and watch them go to another team because the front office is more interested in the other side of the fence? Seriously on principle alone Rogers has been as good as advertised and we need to build a team around some core players instead of being idiots and not paying them (some jerk off linebacker playing for the Giants comes to mind here)

Hall should stay here I agree with that but we've got no one to take over for Rogers if he leaves. We need to resign him unless were getting a 1st rounder for him at least. Screw a second round pick, we showed last season we don't have a damn clue what to do with 2nd round picks. We have shown we can pick first rounders. Resign Rogers and stop this stupidness

Drafting a corner to replace him would take a 1st or 2nd round pick. Which we need on the lines, and would take 2-3 years to develop. Meanwhile who starts opposite Hall? Springs? Smoot? Tryon? All laughable ideas for a full season.

Signing a good veteran FA corner to replace Rogers? The way the market is going for solid FA cornerbacks, that'll cost us at least 40 million, meaning we could just resign Carlos for about 5 million more in the meantime. So financially that's not only not saving us any real money to speak of, it's the idea of letting our own homegrown 1st round pick go and replacing him with a guy who wouldn't know our scheme as well, while just further pushing the league notion that we don't take care of our own guys, we just want the next FA.

The notion of the Redskins trading a younger, very talented cover corner like Rogers that they drafted, just because they don't want to pay him the fair market price he deserves (and could easily get somewhere else), only to replace him with a draft pick or worse yet, a FA corner, is what makes the Redskins the very mediocre franchise that they are in a nutshell. Just ass backwards team building.

I agree, Carlos is ready to take his game to the next level. If we trade him we are still missing another CB. Smoot is nothing more than a nickel and Tryon still needs more time to develop.

We should try and trade Springs, even if it is for a 7th rounder. But I don't know the specifics of his contract so that may not be doable (go easy on me).

We can still re-sign Carlos for cheaper than it would be to bring in a FA (or the time it takes to develop a draft pick), and he has been developed and is already starting material. Resign Hall, resign Rogers ... trade/release Springs (he simply can;t stay on the field for what we are paying him).

This is the one area we should not be afraid to spend money on, they have both proven themselves worthy of an extension, IMO.

It would be nice if Tryon grows into a number 2 CB. Having Springs around for another season would allow the team time to find a replacement for Rogers.

Sure it would be nice if that happened but remember this was the guy getting destroyed in the preseason that fans wanted kicked off the team before the start of the year, it would be nice if that happened but I think the likelyhood of that happening is slim to none

If we play hardball with him we will be cutting him guarenteed and my guess is he would end up in Dallas.

personally, i am fine with cutting Springs, his only value is on paper. He cannot be counted on. he can play 8 games for Dallass and collect a big FA contract from them. Love the way the guy plays (when he actually plays), but it's time to cut him loose.

To get more draft picks for the O and D lines we should seriously look at trading Betts, Griffin, Kendall and I hate to say it Washington while restructuring Springs and Taylor's contracts, if we plan to keep them. Definitely sign D Hall if reasonable. Keep Moss, Rogers and Horton.

Build through the draft baby!!

Hail!

I agree with you but no team is going to trade for the guys you want to trade. That's fantasy Madden talk there. Guys like those dont win you championships and trades in the NFL don't usually happen and when they do are usually for playmakers and big names.

If we are looking for a second round pick, trade the 13th pick in the draft for 2-second rounders. Draft a Center like Mack or Unger and then OT Eden Britton or Ciron Black. Blache needs to make nice nice with Carlos and bring him back. Cut Springs, Washington, and do not resign Taylor. Daniels is back next season and James should be healthy. Use that money to sign a DT like Rocky Benard or OG like Jahri Evans.

I like where you were going with this post. My ideal plan would be to trade the 13th pick for 2 seconds and a third next year and with those two picks draft Oline with them both. This year we bring in a big name like Peppers in FA to help the Dline in 09 but not address it in the draft due to lack of picks. Next we concentrate on cutting baggage - Springs, Washington, and Taylor this year and use the money to resign Hall and Rogers long term. Then next year we spend at least 2 high round picks on Dline. I don't believe in drafting best player availible like Vinny, we should be drafting for need.

Betts would only have value mid season when a team is depleted with injuries.

If the team had a GM worth a damn we woulda noticed the lack of draft picks in this draft and would have made a deal mid stream with Denver this season and shipped them Betts when Denver was busy pulling Tatum Bell outta that mall job he had. Denver was the perfect partner for this. But unfortuantly the last time we had a real GM we were winning Superbowls and now without one we are missing opportunities like this. Betts trade value is as low as it will ever be right now. Damn I hate Vinny :doh:

I think the idea is that D. Hall would replace Rogers, not a draft pick or FA. Agreed that is makes no sense to trade Rogers for a 2nd and then turn around and use that pick on a corner.

Do we have the cap room to sign both Hall and Rogers? I didn't think so, but honestly don't know.

Rogers is a very good player. I like him, and in an ideal world we would be able to extend both he and D. Hall. But if the numbers don't work and we can only afford to keep one, then it makes sense to get value for Rogers now then to lose him in a year and receive no compensation.

As an aside, it's amazing that we made our playoff push in 07 with Springs and Smoot as our corners. No Rogers or Hall.

:applause:

Hell of a post :cheers:

If the team had a GM worth a damn we woulda noticed the lack of draft picks in this draft and would have made a deal mid stream with Denver this season and shipped them Betts when Denver was busy pulling Tatum Bell outta that mall job he had. Denver was the perfect partner for this. But unfortuantly the last time we had a real GM we were winning Superbowls and now without one we are missing opportunities like this. Betts trade value is as low as it will ever be right now. Damn I hate Vinny :doh:

The trade deadline this year was on October 14th. The Broncos did not sign T. Bell until November 11th, almost a month after the trade deadline.

That trade would not have been possible. At least in the timeframe that you are referring to.

I can't believe poeple would rather keep Springs over Rogers. SPRINGS IS NEVER ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!! All this talk about him at safety and what not. He can't help the team if he can't play. He's old and banged up. YOUTH MOVEMENT!!!!!!! You play catch with Rogers every day during the offseason and you make him an elite cornerback in this league. Fresh young corners in Hall and Rogers, fresh young safetys in Landry and Horton. Then we can turn our attention to what's really needed this offseason.

What's laughable is the fact that you think we can sign Rogers for just "5 million more" then a solid veteran and that you think a solid veteran is gonna cost 40 mil. What are these numbers based on? Wait til Nmandi sets the market price for top corners next season and then we will talk about what Rogers is gonna want. With Hall, Springs, and Smoot we can sign a solid backup and maybe draft a corner in the later rounds if the FO doesnt think Tryon will pan out and be set in the secondary. Our secondary is our strongest and deepest unit on the team and if were going to improve our d/o-line in the draft we are gonna have to give something up in return. A better pass rush will make our "laughable" CB's look a hell of alot better. Your argument makes little if any sense at all.

I can't believe poeple would rather keep Springs over Rogers. SPRINGS IS NEVER ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!! All this talk about him at safety and what not. He can't help the team if he can't play. He's old and banged up. YOUTH MOVEMENT!!!!!!! You play catch with Rogers every day during the offseason and you make him an elite cornerback in this league. Fresh young corners in Hall and Rogers, fresh young safetys in Landry and Horton. Then we can turn our attention to what's really needed this offseason.

LOL. Im pretty sure Rogers has been playing "catch" every day in practice for the last 7 years. Some players are born to be playmakers, some are not.

Archived