Big 4 vs. BJ Raji

method man

Who would you put in the +1 game?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you put in the +1 game?

• Florida and USC
    • Florida and Utah
    • Utah and USC

One of the overriding themes I have been seeing on the draft discussion on ES is whether we should take a Big 4 LT (A. Smith, Oher, Monroe, and J. Smith) or BJ Raji. Many people are saying we should take one of the Big 4, because it is a good value pick. However, at the same time, I feel that Raji is a great value pick as well. What Raji is is a NT who constantly makes plays in the backfield. That, in itself, is so rare and I think he is not going to be a top 10 pick only because he is 6-1 (so he is not going to knock down a lot of balls). It would indeed suck to lose out on a RT who can play LT down the line, but we have only 4 picks and a crapload of needs so I think that in this situation we need to compromise and take a pure RT in Rd. 3 where there will be guys like Alex Boone and Feneki Tupuo.

I agree. The biggest problem with our defense is no push up the middle impacting the pass rush and allowing QBs to easily step up even when guys like Carter and Taylor can get close to the QB.

Griffin is likely gone at age 32 with a cap number over $6M. Last year, he had only 27 tackles. We're left then with Montgomery and Golston, who are solid guys, but don't make many plays or penetrate into the backfield.

At least on the O-line, we'll have Heyer as a 3rd-year player and Jansen for vet depth. Samuels should have a couple more years in him as well to hold down the LT position (the more imp. one). Rinehart should get some looks to see where he can play. He started 42 games at LT in college, and most draft analysts felt he'd convert to guard in the NFL. He was a 3rd-rounder who had a year to learn. I'd like to see what we have there.

I just saw an article saying we should take Heyward Bey.....wouldnt that be insane? We would be the Lions.

Yeah, I love Hey-Bey (obviously) and I think he probably has more long-term upside than Kelly and at least as much as Devin Thomas. However, trying to go for the quick fix, not letting our younger players develop is what's killed this team in the past.

I would love to see Heyward-Bey in a 'Skins uniform, but it just won't and should not happen.

I think there is some merit to the notion of being a little wary of taking DT's in the first round. I don't see it happening with VC anyway. I think the priority should be BPA OC and OT. Perhaps someone like DT Ron Brace in the 3rd round. We have to get this OL tuned up and IMO it's nuts to continue thinking we can get by with Heyer, Fabini and Jansen. JJ should not even be considered for the RT spot IMO. He should move inside and either start or provide quality depth there.

I've been on the trade down & draft Duke Robinson/Alex Mack bandwagon, but realize DT is a major need.

If we were to sign a FA O lineman like Richie Incognito then I would have no issue with taking Raji in round 1. We could still draft a good RT in round 3, like the OP mentioned.

In an ideal world, we would trade down a few picks in round 1 and still get Raji (or an O lineman), along with an additional pick.

I think there is some merit to the notion of being a little wary of taking DT's in the first round. I don't see it happening with VC anyway. I think the priority should be BPA OC and OT. Perhaps someone like DT Ron Brace in the 3rd round. We have to get this OL tuned up and IMO it's nuts to continue thinking we can get by with Heyer, Fabini and Jansen. JJ should not even be considered for the RT spot IMO. He should move inside and either start or provide quality depth there.

Ron Brace is another Montgomery. He is a runstuffer who can't do much in the way of rushing the passer. What makes Raji special is that he is a runstuffer who does a pretty good job penetrating into the backfield as well.

I haven't seen Raji play, but If we don't go with a D-Lineman with the first pick I will be very upset.

OL>>>>>>>OLB>>DT.

I'd much rather have a better pass rush up the middle, but I'm more comfortable with Monty and Golston at DT than I am with Blades at OLB.

];6035239']OL>>>>>>>OLB>>DT.

I'd much rather have a better pass rush up the middle' date=' but I'm more comfortable with Monty and Golston at DT than I am with Blades at OLB.[/quote']

OLB is much easier to fill through free agency. Crowell of the Bills has been identified by many as a perfect fit for SLB.

All depends on how FA goes. If we don't address either line with a FA, I think OL has priority considering how well our defense played overall.

But it seems like our organization is trying to build a top running game/dominant defense model considering how Campbell is and was meant to be a game manager. Our defense is very good, but it's not dominant.

OLB is much easier to fill through free agency. Crowell of the Bills has been identified by many as a perfect fit for SLB.

I'd rather have Clint Stintim if we traded down. We'd actually draft our own player, PLUS he can rush the passer. A 4-3 OLB who can get to the passer would be nearly perfect for us.

I agree with you about needing a DT. This team needs some push up the middle. However, I do not understand how BJ Raji is a great fit for this team. Yea he had a breakout year with a lot of sacks in college. The point is I do not think his pass rush will translate well over to the NFL. He's a good prospect yea, but I see him not much of an upgrade over Golston or Monty to be honest. The team is solid at the NT position unless a team offers a draft pick for Golston or Monty. At this point I'd take OT Eben Britton over BJ Raji.

Robinson stunk last night, i hope to god the redskins don't go anywhere close to this loser.

I'm on the DT bandwagon. Hanesworth (Titans), Ngata (Ravens), Vince Wilfork (Patriots), Casey Hampton (Steelers), Jamal Williams (Chargers) are all huge beasts at D line and a huge reason why those D's play so well.

I agree with the idea that Raji is not going to be a great pass rusher in the NFL. He seems more of a Pat Williams type, not really what we are looking for.

If the Skins are looking at D tackle with that pick, there best bet is hoping Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma declares. I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Ricky Jean-Francois of LSU in the second or third round, assuming a trade down has happened to get more picks.

Robinson stunk last night, i hope to god the redskins don't go anywhere close to this loser.

I'm on the DT bandwagon. Hanesworth (Titans), Ngata (Ravens), Vince Wilfork (Patriots), Casey Hampton (Steelers), Jamal Williams (Chargers) are all huge beasts at D line and a huge reason why those D's play so well.

With the exception of Haynesworth, all of those DTs you listed are 3-4 DTs. They're very large mass built to attract Centers and Guards into their gravitational field so as to free up space for ILBs.

I'm not opposed to a DT at all, but I think you're using the wrong model. In a 4-3, the wisest thing to do is have a rotation of DTs who can come in fresh and give 110%. When they play all game, they get tired. But if you rotate, ala line changes like in Hockey, you can get consistent effort.

I saw some promise from Golston and Montgomery. Golston has a killer swim move, and Monty is a giant who can get decent pressure. Course, they might get more pressure if they were played situationally, so they have more energy on 3rd Downs to give a better effort.

I agree with the idea that Raji is not going to be a great pass rusher in the NFL. He seems more of a Pat Williams type, not really what we are looking for.

If the Skins are looking at D tackle with that pick, there best bet is hoping Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma declares. I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Ricky Jean-Francois of LSU in the second or third round, assuming a trade down has happened to get more picks.

load up on linemen

I agree with you about needing a DT. This team needs some push up the middle. However, I do not understand how BJ Raji is a great fit for this team. Yea he had a breakout year with a lot of sacks in college. The point is I do not think his pass rush will translate well over to the NFL. He's a good prospect yea, but I see him not much of an upgrade over Golston or Monty to be honest. The team is solid at the NT position unless a team offers a draft pick for Golston or Monty. At this point I'd take OT Eben Britton over BJ Raji.

I disagree with you here. Raji plays with excellent leverage and has shown a nice repetoire of moves including a spin. I saw a comparison to Pat Williams. Well, Williams is a guy who gets 3-4 sacks a year, which is good for a DT especially a NT

Archived