Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who on this list would you want over Clinton Portis?

american soldier

Maybe Westbrook because he's the ideal WC back but I don't like his pure running ability as much as Clinton's. While there are some VERY good backs in that list I can't see anyone that is clearly a better overall player than CP.

Sure AP is amazing, but he fumbles too often and doesn't have the hands or pass blocking skills of CP. He also benefits from playing behind a much better OL, although has even less of a passing game to open up lanes.

LT hasn't had a great year so it's hard to know if its just a bad season or the beginning of the end. A lot of guys like Lendale White, Chris Johnson (obviously because he's a rookie), DeAngelo Williams and others only have one really good season under their belts.

MAYBE Westbrook, MAYBE LT if he returns to his old form, and maybe AP. Other than that I see a bunch of one-two punch guys that I can't see carrying the load themselves.

I'm comfortorable with Clinton, but that's not saying I think he is the #1 back in the league.

its funny u mention ap fumbling cause i was playin madden wit my boy and in our franchise he traded for ap. and everytime he touches the ball i pick laron landry and he demolishes ap and makes him fumble.

anyways on the list i would take a dual combo over portis..

chris johnson/steven jackson

Clinton Portis....so what if he's been opening his mouth. Can you blame him for being irritated? The man wants to win but everytime the team starts winning they screw it up somehow. The man has averaged 1220.6 yards a season for us including 06 when he went down mid-season and only ran for 523 yards. He's one of the best pass blockers in the league on top of that. It's not his fault thats he's a damn good pass blocker but Campell doesn't read the field and throws it to the exact reciever the play calls for or whatever. Campbell is the head you guys should be calling for since he can't read defenses or view the field for open recievers. Sorry i just can't believe some of our fans are calling for his head.

I'm not calling for his head. I'm calling for him to shut his ****ing mouth and play. Not one skill player on this team has even a division championship ring on his finger. How in the hell would he question a coach that does have one? Zorn knows the recipe. He come from a coaching line that knows the recipe. This team had a coach last year that knew the recipe. The problem is, some of these "know-it-all" players (like Portis) that continue to go half ass mentally or not buying into what the coach's philosophy is. As soon as things go a little bit sour with these guys, they shrivel up under a rock; letting teams like the Bengals and Rams use 'em like a towl after sex. All the sudden these perennial losers know the reason why - the coaching. Get the **** outta here!!! CP is a good running back, but he's a damn cancer. When he doesn't get his way, he's got just the right amount of mediocre minded players around him to follow him in to the **** pile. I find it absolutely ****ed up that a respectable coach like John Thompson would let this cancer on his show every week to drill another coach. It's like this, if you get rid of the bully, the gang will scatter or they'll carry your jock-strap. Zorn needs to heed to that and send CP packing with his pocket tight, son!

Adrian Peterson- Dude is amazing

Michael Turner- I love the running style

DeAngelo Williams- See Peterson

Steve Slaton- Kid plays lights out and will be special

Matt Forte - Just like Slaton, Runner up for rookie of the year

Chris Johnson- Haven't seen him play, but I know he hits home runs and the youth would make me want him over portis

LaDainian Tomlinson- No brainer, even at this point in his career he's still electric

Brandon Jacobs- I love the running style, and he doesn't get hurt like Portis

Steven Jackson- I don't know if he is still great, but if he's still what he was 2 years ago then yes.

Frank Gore- See Jackson

Marshawn Lynch- On the bubble, youth and injuries are a plus

Brian Westbrook- Most complete back in the game

Ronnie Brown- On the bubble, kid plays great first half of the season and then drops off

Marion Barber- On the bubble, I want to see him as a feature back one more year

Willie Parker- Speed kills in the NFL, injuries concern me

Joseph Addai- Young and great out of the backfield, good for WCO

Darren McFadden- Kid will be special, youth is a plus

Jerious Norwood- The kid has lights out speed and if coupled with a guy like betts could be very good

Leon Washington- See Norwood

From what I found in doing this list, was that I had a lot of bubble players. Washington, Norwood, Addai, McFadden, Parker and Lynch are all guys who I wasn't totally sure about. In the end I decided I would take them for two key reasons. Injuries and mouth.

I don't necessarily think that all of these backs are better then Portis. In fact, I think Portis is a top 5, possibly top 3 back. But I if was a general manager I wouldn't go near him with a 10 foot pole. A guy with his milage and his injuries doesn't belong on my team.

On top of that, the guy doesn't know when to quit. Trust me, I love heart and desire and passion and toughness. But if you're hurt, get off the god damn field. Is Portis tougher than LT? I don't necessarily think so. But LT got off the damn field so that his back up could win them playoff games. A back is only as good as his offensive line, and if the line is that good then the backup will be just fine behind them too. So if you're hurt, you need to get off the field. Thanks for trying, but you aren't helping.

And not to mention his mouth. No player, even if he is right, should ever criticize anyone publically. Portis may be a genius and right about everything he said, but he should keep his **** in house. It amazed me that in the same week that Portis mouthed off about his coach, TO kept his concerns and complaints in house. That's sad.

Like I said, I think Portis could be top 3. I love what he has given for this team. But the mileage and the mouth are the reason I would take all of these backs before I take Portis if I were a GM.

Explain all those for me....Unless of course you're full of ****, and will be back praising CP like you were earlier in the year....Every back in the league just about...You deserve to root for the 0-16 lions, if this is how you would build you're team.

I give credit where credit is due. CP had a great first half of the season. If you give him a hole, he'll do well. If you don't, he won't. He'll complain. Some of those players on that list will make a play for you. A lot of them won't be in the media talking about the coaching. This team has been fragile for a long time. I honest believe Zorn is trying to change the culture. Again my problem with CP has everything to do with his ****ing mouth. He doesn't realize that he influences the media, the fans, and maybe (most importantly) some players. Its true, if you don't have something good to say, don't say ****. Portis never learned that. He thinks that getting it off his chest is the man thing to do. Again, if he had as much passion in the media about his own mistakes as he does for others, I'd give him the benefit. He's T.O.; plain and simple. As long as he gets his, he's happy for the most part. This team just needs to completely buy into a coaches philosophy for the entire season before they start complaining about what they don't know about -- WINNING.

Explain all those for me....Unless of course you're full of ****, and will be back praising CP like you were earlier in the year....Every back in the league just about...You deserve to root for the 0-16 lions, if this is how you would build you're team.

I give credit where credit is due. CP had a great first half of the season. If you give him a hole, he'll do well. If you don't, he won't. He'll complain. Some of those players on that list will make a play for you. A lot of them won't be in the media talking about the coaching. This team has been fragile for a long time. I honest believe Zorn is trying to change the culture. Again my problem with CP has everything to do with his ****ing mouth. He doesn't realize that he influences the media, the fans, and maybe (most importantly) some players. Its true, if you don't have something good to say, don't say ****. Portis never learned that. He thinks that getting it off his chest is the man thing to do. Again, if he had as much passion in the media about his own mistakes as he does for others, I'd give him the benefit. He's T.O.; plain and simple. As long as he gets his, he's happy for the most part. This team just needs to completely buy into a coaches philosophy for the entire season before they start complaining about what they don't know about -- WINNING.

Adrian Peterson

Michael Turner

DeAngelo Williams

Steve Slaton

Matt Forte

Chris Johnson

Brandon Jacobs

Steven Jackson

Frank Gore

Marshawn Lynch

Derrick Ward

Kevin Smith

Brian Westbrook

Ronnie Brown

Le'Ron McClain

Marion Barber

Justin Fargas

Jonathan Stewart

Maurice Jones-Drew

Willie Parker

LenDale White

Julius Jones

Willis McGahee

Ricky Williams

Maurice Morris

Darren McFadden

Jerious Norwood

Tashard Choice

Ray Rice

Michael Bush

*Felix Jones*

:cheers:

absolutely serious.... college.... 4 years carried his sucky ass tiger team with 6ooo + yards and not 1.............. NOT 1.......... FUMBLE

over 1000 yards in last 8 games and 15 touchdowns..... how many td's did portis get all year?

Williams has really come into his own this year. I would seriously consider taking Deangelo over any RB in the league ... including Adrian Peterson.

Some of you guys are absolutely ****ing amazing. Outside of LT, CP is the ONLY BACK that has come out YEAR AFTER MOTHERLUVIN YEAR and put up GREAT(HOF-pace) numbers, play his ass off on EVERY single snap (even knocking out DTs for christ's sake) and does ANYTHING that is asked of him to HELP THE FRIGGIN' TEAM.

When traded over from Denver, CP HAD TO change his style of running (which, btw, was netting him 5.5 ypc) and become more of a power back. Does he ***** and ask to be traded/released? **** NO. He comes back the next year ready, carrying a team QB'ed by a past-his-prime Mark Brunell (who, as we all remember, set a record for most pathetic QBing in a playoff game) to the playoffs.

Oh, CP needs to shut his mouth? PLEASE! You guys make up some bull**** excuses. Anyone who was watching the Skins season saw the dramatic turnaround in offensive philosophy halfway throughout the season, beginning against Pittsburgh.

Seahawks game, CP has 24 carries and 100+ yards. Next week against Pittsburgh, Zorn decides to display what a genius he is and give CP the ball only 13 freakin' times. The Steelers (who IIRC were #1 against the run at the time) didn't stop CP. The Redskins stopped CP, even after he had a run of 22 yards against the Steelers(which was the longest run they had given up the entire season at the time).

CP speaks out because he is the only guy on the team who has balls. Back when Gibbs was the coach, everyone else on the team were afraid of Gibbs. If they had a problem, guess who they asked to talk to Gibbs about it? CP. AND WHAT A ****ING SURPRISE...GIBBS AND CP HAD A GREAT RELATIONSHIP.

A ****LOAD of you Skins fans don't deserve a winning team. You guys are totally ignorant and have absolutely ZERO idea of what you speak of. Not only that, but you guys seem to enjoy watching the team lose, just so you can walk around saying "I told you so," no matter how stupid your thoughts/opinions actually may be.

BTW, do yourself a favor and enlighten yourselves. Here are CP's game-to-game stats from '08

http://www.nfl.com/players/clintonportis/gamelogs?id=POR792942

We were 6-2. Next two games(Pitt,Dallass), Zorn gives the ball to CP for only 13 and 15 times. Big ****ing surprise, we lose. Against the 'Hawks, Zorn decides to take his head out of his ass and give CP the damn ball 29 times. Surprisingly, we win that game (SHOCKING!). Next two weeks, it's back to Zorn ****ing around again (11 ****ing carries against the Giants/Ravens!??). We lose both games, and our season is pretty much done.

Anyone notice the trend there? It seems as if that when we give CP the damn ball, we win games. NO WAY! Yea, let's try to trade him for a guy who shares the load in the backfield and has had only 1/2 a great season in his 2-3 years in the leaugue. :doh:

For everyone saying that they would rather have Westbrook, LT, or Larry Johnson as a back over Portis, do you realize that each of those guys are all over 2 years older that Portis?

It is funny because the people that want to get rid of Portis always say he is too old, but they want to replace him with backs more than 2 years his elder?

Makes no sense.

Makes sense when Portis takes more of a beating than those guys do. Portis has a lot of mileage for a relatively young back. Especially how Gibbs used him. Now if Clinton stayed with Denver he would be taken ahead of all of those guys.

peterson or steve jackson.i think the skins are a smash mouth team and they always will be. some teams are who they are and any attempt to try and make them into something else will and has failed. the steelers and ravens are the same way, try and make them into some other type of team like west coast or something like that and it just won't work. we need a pounder with the speed to break it if in the game either a tackle is missed or someone tired in the fourth qtr. looses his grip and the rb can pull away.we need a pounder on this team portis has lost a step and so he and betts are just about the same type of runner.a skat back that has elite speed would also be nice. all 3 types.

It seems as if that when we give CP the damn ball, we win games. NO WAY! Yea, let's try to trade him for a guy who shares the load in the backfield and has had only 1/2 a great season in his 2-3 years in the leaugue. :doh:

Great post Area51.

But it doesn't matter to the CP haters. They grab every RB dejour (Sproles) and mouth off about how much better he is than Portis. They love Portis' mouth when we're winning and he's wearing costumes but heaven forbid he speak his mind when we're losing. Do I like everything he says? No, but you have free speech in America so bugger off.

Portis works as hard as any RB in the league and is balls out every second he's on the field, not just when he's getting the ball.

I'll take his passion and smarts and talent over the next flash in the pan RB any day.

I'd take the entire list over CP.as long as anyone of those guys are told that they are going to come here to PLAY, and not just to be paid. That's the big difference between that list and CP

You've just proven you've never seen Clinton Portis play. Or at least you haven't paid attention.

I'm not callin for CP's head but,

Adrian Peterson

Michael Turner

DeAngelo Williams

Thomas Jones

Steve Slaton

Chris Johnson

Brandon Jacobs

We need a young bruiser of a hb behind portis and to play along side of portis.

Besides,Portis is startin to get a little old and has been used to death.How much longer can he play?And if he gets hurt?????????

But do any of them pass block like Portis?

NO ONE CP is the complete back and without him back there blocking all these JC fans wouldn't have a QB to talk about. You have got to be kidding me CP runs like a beast, blocks like a beast, and basically is the only reason we were winning and people are doubting him this is crazy. You have a less than great QB ruining this team and we want to get rid of CB????? LMAO you people are nuts.....

Archived