Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After seeing Campbell live for the first time, my thoughts

NoCalMike

How many people on this board would trade Moss for Brandon Marshall?

I am sure those are the same people complaining about the dropped passes.

B. Marshall leads the league, and he is one of the best receivers in the game.

When you are the only player being targeted (stared down I say) you get more balls and you are bound to drop a few. It is part of the game.

Jason Campbell is a deccent guy, a decent football player, but he will never be successful in Washington DC. The only way he will ever be good is if he gets two all pro receivers and an all pro line blocking for him. Because he needs people to make him look good, because he is just mediocre.

Name a QB who doesnt...

Brady? Moss... Welker... All pro line

E Manning? Burress... Toomer... All Pro line

P. Manning? Wayne... Harrison... Clarke... All pro line

Romo sits to pee? Ownes... Williams... Witten... All pro line

NO QB CAN DO IT BY HIMSELF. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Name a QB who doesnt...

You do know Tom Brady was successful without Randy Moss and Wes Welker... And being one of the league leaders in sacks? Donovan McNabb has done it without a running game and crappy receivers. Drew Brees has done it. Phillip Rivers has done it. So on.

If you don't think Campbell has any correlation to those "team stats", that's naive. He plays the most important position on the field.

Correlation/causation?

These arguments have gone on ad nauseum, you can look at my last 30 posts and about 27 of them will be the same thing you'd have me say again.

I won't go into any kind of thing where it sounds like I'm defending Campbell again; I'm actually not. I just don't like these incorrect statements. I'll post one here, and then I won't comment further.

"He plays the most important position on the field." How important, would you say, is the Redskins running game to the Redskins offense success? How much of a factor is Jason in the Redskins running game? See, the guys who jump out and say "well we have to have a passing game in order to have a running game" - they're not really right. They're only right if you think teams are actually putting 8 or 9 guys in the box (and you still need a WR who can get separation at that point). They weren't. Teams are getting penetration into the backfield with 4 or 5 guys, and dropping a lot of guys back into coverage.

Take Campbell's stats for the year and compare them to Eli. They generally compare very favorably; total yards, completion percentage... and even YPA which people here complain about. Their passer ratings are also very close - the usual indicator of how good a QB is performing.

So what do you think the difference is then, when their records are so different? One of the main differences is through 8, this team was very different and note I said team, not Jason. The team was playing very different early in the season.

Anyway, I've already written a lot of stuff I've written too many times. Suffice it to say, Jason alone shouldn't be blamed for the team's collapse. I wouldn't mind seeing a QB competition next year. If we don't see one, I'd assume that Zorn hasn't seen enough from Colt to think he can challenge Jason in the preseason. That's fine. I would think after the last few weeks of this season, if Zorn thinks Colt can do better than Jason, he won't hesitate to have an open competition.

Name a QB who doesnt...

To add on to the comments above mine, Indy does not have an All-Pro line. marvin Harrison is not as good as he used to be.

When Brady won the first SB he had an aging Troy Brown and David Patten as his primary wideouts. later he'd have Givens and Branch, neither of whom has proven to be as good without him (Givens hurt his knee but he's already out of the league. Most guys can come back from an injury, he wasn't that good to begin with.)

But what's the point. You've been deliberately obtuse to the point where I MUST believe you are related in some way to Campbell.

I noticed on a couple of replays, of balls thrown to receivers that the receivers were standing there waiting for the ball to be thrown to them. 2 passes to Moss stand out in my mind. I think this is where Jason needs to improve his game. It seems to me that he either isnt seeing the open man until its almost too late, or is waiting to make sure the open man is TRULY open before he throws the ball.

They only numbers that matter are 8-8, 28th in red zone efficiency, and only 265pts.

This quote goes along with what I've been saying for the past 9 weeks.. the only stats that matter to you Campbell haters are the ones that fit your agenda.. every other stat gets thrown out the window..

To add on to the comments above mine, Indy does not have an All-Pro line. marvin Harrison is not as good as he used to be.

When Brady won the first SB he had an aging Troy Brown and David Patten as his primary wideouts. later he'd have Givens and Branch, neither of whom has proven to be as good without him (Givens hurt his knee but he's already out of the league. Most guys can come back from an injury, he wasn't that good to begin with.)

But what's the point. You've been deliberately obtuse to the point where I MUST believe you are related in some way to Campbell.

I think every one of Indy's linemen went to the probowl one year or the other.. also, if you think by getting rid of Campbell we'll just get Payton Manning thrown on our laps, you're as much of a joke as that line of thinking is..

You do know Tom Brady was successful without Randy Moss and Wes Welker... And being one of the league leaders in sacks? Donovan McNabb has done it without a running game and crappy receivers. Drew Brees has done it. Phillip Rivers has done it. So on.

Tom Brady had great receivers almost every year he has played (Moss, Welker, Brown, Branch, Givens, Caldwell... Not to mention a solid runnig game... but dont let that fool you either. Brady was always a solid QB, but their success has ALOT more to do with their defense and Vinateirri. It was not ALL brady ALL the time. His highest sack year was his first full season as starter... 41. Since then, it has been 31, 32, 26, 26, 26, 21. (You should research BEFORE you post) He has ALL DAY back their when playing.

NcNabb? LOL... Another one you should check the sack totals on before posting. Pretty middle of the pack there. Did you forget about Westbrook... Ownes...?

Well, as everyone knows when you see a game live sometimes you get to view things that the NFL Cameras don't often show.

One thing that I give Campbell credit for is that he often seemed to look to the correct reads. When the first or second option was covered, he checked down to find the open man.

One thing that I found frustrating that seemingly every single throw to an OPEN Santana Moss seemed to be thrown six inches over his head. Everytime Moss has to jump to catch the ball, it gives the defense that much more time to close in on Moss and stop him right at the spot of the catch, instead of Moss being to catch the ball on his break and then turn around and run.

Right now I would say Jason Campbell is basically a poor-man's Donovan McNabb, he does make some excellent throws at times, but he also misses some easy throws that would go for huge gains. (3rd and 2 bad throw to a wide open Cooley).

There were also some costly drops too, so it wasn't all on Campbell.

Throwing to shorter WRs will do that to a taller QB. Zorn will have to make up his mind about that. I suggest we need to get the rookies involved in the passing game asap.

Hey Ghost... glad to see your still at it.

You are completley wrong about P. Manning. He has had a STELLAR line for most of his career.

I also find it funyy that people (including yourself) seem to forget that Brady has had a solid coaching staff (can you deny that?)ONe playbook to digest voer his years in the NFL (can you deny that?)

Solid defense every year (can you deny that?)

Solid run game (can you dent that?

And above all... the best kicker (IMO) in the history of the NFL.

In fact, you can probably say that Vinitierri won EVERY SINGLE one of their superbowls with his leg. Brdy was not out their killing everyone with 400 yard and 4 TD performances...

You are right... whats the point of debating with a person that thinks blowing up one spot or another is going to resolve the issues the Redskins have as a whole.

Tom Brady had great receivers almost every year he has played (Moss, Welker, Brown, Branch, Givens, Caldwell... Not to mention a solid runnig game... but dont let that fool you either. Brady was always a solid QB, but their success has ALOT more to do with their defense and Vinateirri. It was not ALL brady ALL the time. His highest sack year was his first full season as starter... 41. Since then, it has been 31, 32, 26, 26, 26, 21. (You should research BEFORE you post) He has ALL DAY back their when playing.

NcNabb? LOL... Another one you should check the sack totals on before posting. Pretty middle of the pack there. Did you forget about Westbrook... Ownes...?

It's obvious that you're just pulling things out of your ass now.

You're trying to argue that Brown, Branch, Givens, Caldwell are all great receivers?

Meanwhile, McNabb has had years where he's been a league leader in sacks. Like last year. McNabb also had Owens for 1.5 seasons and has also been in the league longer than Westbrook. Are you going to argue that James Thrash and Todd Pinkston are great receivers, too?

Next time you should do the researching instead of spewing BS.

"LOL"

Thanks for the posts, NCM. As I suspected, JC is part ability mixed with part hesitation. This has been bandied about so much even I'm getting tired of it, but I wonder how much of the latter is his almost yearly requirement of learning new offenses?

I hope that with one more year in this scheme he can finally get those voices out of his head, just drop back and wing the dang ball. Next year is the last one he will get from me. Make it or break it, son.

It's obvious that you're just pulling things out of your ass now.

You're trying to argue that Brown, Branch, Givens, Caldwell are all great receivers?

Meanwhile, McNabb has had years where he's been a league leader in sacks. Like last year. McNabb also had Owens for 1.5 seasons and has also been in the league longer than Westbrook. Are you going to argue that James Thrash and Todd Pinkston are great receivers, too?

Next time you should do the researching instead of spewing BS.

"LOL"

No... They were great receivers. They all have SB rings and were over or near 1000 yards receiveing when playing w/ the Pats.

Nothing getting pulled out of asses. Excpet your claim that Brady led the league is sacks every year... LOL

And you just said yourself the sack stats for Ncnugget last year was high right?

I agree, and look at his performance. He did not have a great year. 19 TD's... 7 INT's... 3300 yards... 61 Comp %. Very Campbellesque. I gues they should have replaced him.

But still not the point anyways... My point is that it takes a special blend of people to get deep every year. Its not just about a QB... or RB... or any one position for that matter. I thnk JC gets too much of the blame around here from VERY misinformed fans. People try to simplify this game too much. I know that I cannot think of one team that was mediocre... or middle of the road, that replaced jusy one person and became superbowl perrennial champs... can you?

No... They were great receivers. They all have SB rings and were over or near 1000 yards receiveing when playing w/ the Pats.

Nothing getting pulled out of asses. Excpet your claim that Brady led the league is sacks every year... LOL

And you just said yourself the sack stats for Ncnugget last year was high right?

I agree, and look at his performance. He did not have a great year. 19 TD's... 7 INT's... 3300 yards... 61 Comp %. Very Campbellesque. I gues they should have replaced him.

Well, if you're going off pure stats, I guess the Titans should have replaced Kerry Collins. Campbell's better in almost every single category.

Sometimes ya gotta throw when a receiver is covered and have faith in your receiver. Defensive pass interferences do happen.

Not for us. You ever notice that? Somebody could grab Santana Moss around the throat and still not be called for interference? Actually, the guy on our offense that draws the most defensive penalties is Cooley.

Exactly. Though I think the Eagles game was an example of an entire team sucking effort. 44 points when we just held them to 3?

For what it's worth, it sure made the Redskins look a little better. We beat the Eagles twice. The games might not have been pretty, but we sure as hell didn't give up 44 points total in both games, let alone one.

I forgot who it was, I think either Moss or El, but they dropped a great pass streaking across the middle, in which they would have probably gained another 30+ yards with all the blockers they had ready.

With all the hook routes Moss runs, I am not sure why they don't run more, hook-and-go routes, where he fakes the hook to bait the CB and then takes off.......

It was Moss. He flat out dropped it on 3rd down. The announcers were saying the same thing as why we don't run a pump and go more often. Moss ran a pump and go, then hook. Basically 3 moves in one route. No wonder we get sacked all the time.

Archived