Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Needing some serious help with the officiating here

Sean_Taylor_hero

look, the officiating was horrible, but i'm not blaming that for the loss....the players and coaching was just as bad.

a.) cooley fumbled the ball, and i saw it coming because he always scares the sh*t out of me when he tries to get extra yards with one hand on the ball or while changing the hand with which he carries the ball....love the effort, but it seems to be a dangerous move to fight for extra yards while more defenders are swarming you if you're not securing the ball.

b.) the sellers call was questionable. but if they're not stopping forward progress on the fumble, then why did they stop it on the previous play when he got in the endzone after landing on another player and surging forward?

c.) saw quite a few missed calls: a block in the back or two, helmet-to-helmet, pass interference, holding

but still, no excuse. the skins are not a good organization right now.

okay, first off, how on earth was that Cooley fumble ruled a fumble? from the replay I saw (which wasnt very thorough but it looked very clear to me) his knee was clearly down when the ball comes loose. Was there a challenge on this play? (i didnt watch the game) and if not why was there none?

second off, when mike sellers "fumbled the ball" on the goal line, was that not in? and second off, his forward progress had obviously been stopped so why was it ruled a fumble?

Cooley's fumble was a fumble.

Sellars never broke the plane. The only thing that you could get him on is that the play was over because forward progress had stopped. But, on the other hand, if he had crossed it on second effort but it was ruled dead because forward progress had ended, ya'll would be complaining about that.

Face it. We lost the game because we were unprepared and we were outplayed.

Just wondering if anyone else thought Cooley had a knee or 2 down when he fumbled? It looked like to me he had a tackler drapped around him and one or both knees on the turf when he loss the ball. Did anyone else think this or was I seeing things, or was it wishful thinking? Just your thoughts and if this has been posted already sorry I didn't see it. If it was down why didn't we challenge?

too bad, if it was. they didn't challenge. got any proof?
sorry I don't have any proof unless the game is already on nfl.com, but I watched it backwards and forwards on tivo, he's knee was down before ball came out with defender drapped over him, really not even close. Sorry about the repost

I was not impressed with the officiating -- thought it was more of a "home-field advantage" than usual. That said, the Redskins made their share of mistakes to get themselves too deep in a hole.

The game should not have been that close. I really felt Washington had the more talented team, but for some reason it fizzled that day.

cooley was a fumble. However, I don't know why there wasn't a penalty on the bengals for a helmet to helmet or leading with the helmet. The bengal player lowered his head and crowned him right in the facemask.

Sellers, was in. all the ball has to do is break the plane. before the ball was stripped it did, at least from what I saw.

before that, that was a TD also. He never touched the ground until he was over. He landed on a bengal, and flipped over, again not touching the ground and reached over. It was at that point that he finaly touched the ground.

I agree that we lost this game on our own, but there was help from the refs too

Cooley's was clearly a fumble and on Sellers they showed several replays that on the first carry he was clearly down and then lunged forward. On the second carry he didn't come close to breaking the plane. They didn't whistle forward progress stopped because he was still fighting and he fumbled it. Plain and simple, I don't know how many replays people need to see. And from how many different angles. I hated it but they shouldn't be giving him the ball the second time anyway. He should have been lead blocking for CP or they should have done a bootleg. At least we could have got a field goal. That's not the first time he's fumbled near the goal line.

On the Cooley Fumble--

His left knee touches as he's getting hit by the first guy. He continues to try and run, second guy hits him up and makes him fumble. By ruling, he should've been down by the first man. You have to see it on slow motion in HD, so I don't think the refs could've made the call. You also can't see the ball, so its not conclusive evidence to overturn it. But its most likely not a fumble.

Archived