Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa wish list: Duke Robinson

benskins26

Ok, I know there are other threads about the draft, but I was curious what you guys thought about one particular guy, and if there were any draft gurus that could shed some light.

Duke Robinson, the massive 6'5" 330 lb lineman out of Oklahoma. The dude is athletic, versatile, and did I mention massive? He is the rock of that o-line that had 2 1000 yard rushers, and a potential Heisman winner. This guy is a stud, and now my question is, where do you think he goes in the draft? I've seen several draft boards that have him in the top 10, and a couple that don't even have him in the first round. I think there is no question he goes in the 1st, especially now that every other team in the NFL is trying to follow the Giants recipe for success, but I'm curious where people realistically think he can go. I figure we'll most likely be picking in the 18-22 range (though I certainly hope I'm wrong), which in my opinion will place us just outside of the range to reasonably expect him to fall to. If that is the case, do we make a move for this guy? I know we need all of the limited draft picks we have, but this guy could be the glue on the Hogs Deux.

If we were able to get him, you could put him immediately in at Jansen's spot, and move Heyer to the bench for depth. Then when Samuels leaves in 2 years or so, move the Duke to LT, with Heyer back in at RT and Rinehart at guard. Pick up a center somewhere along the line, and we have a young massive o-line that could grow together, which is ideal.

I know a lot of people are on the Gross bandwagon, and I must admit, I'd love for him to come here, but part of me wonders if it's really worth it to dish out major bucks to a 27-almost-28 lineman, when we need to completely overhaul the whole thing. Why not just do it all at once, and get young and deep. That being said, if we do make a move for Gross, I'd love to see us get Ray Maualuga, though I doubt he'd be available that late either.

So I just wanted other's opinions on this, and where any draft gurus on here think he reasonably could fall to.

Love this guy. He would be my top choice if we're drafting in the high teens/low 20's. And that's about where I've seen him mocked.

If he's taken by the time we pick I hope we target Alex Mack (C, California). He's being touted as the top C prospect in years.

One thing about Duke. He's a natural G. I don't know if I would try to move him to T like you suggested. He would be a mauler on the inside, though. An ideal replacement for Kendall or Thomas.

We need a Duke or a Mack truck on our line!

Duke Robinson is very underrated and for that reason, I believe we have a very good shot at getting him. He will definitely be able to help us with our offensive line woes. I don't necessarily agree with the line-up and all the shuffling you projected but he would still be of good use to us.

Now as for Big Ray, he's definitely a top 10 pick and (unless we work out sum genius methods to get an early pick) we probably won't get him.

Will he be there is my question?

Last year I became a huge fan of an Olineman from VA that was mocked early to be in the 20's (where we drafted) and went much earlier.

I was on the Branden Albert bandwagon, guess I'll be on the Duke Robinson bandwagon this year.

Yeah, I wanted albert bad. That's my point though. There's been a movement or trend the last few years to really stretch for lineman. While I don't think that duke is a stretch, I do think that there are teams out there that would make the moves to get a player like him.

If we pick him though, we need to give him a nickname immediately. I would have a real hard time cheering for duke.

Will he be there is my question?

Last year I became a huge fan of an Olineman from VA that was mocked early to be in the 20's (where we drafted) and went much earlier.

I was on the Branden Albert bandwagon, guess I'll be on the Duke Robinson bandwagon this year.

I think a big reason B. Albert shot up on draft boards was that he was projected to be an LT in the NFL, and not a G.

Since the Duke is a natural G I don't see his stock skyrocketing like Albert's did. I could be wrong, but I think there is an excellent chance that he is available when we pick.

Yeah, I wanted albert bad. That's my point though. There's been a movement or trend the last few years to really stretch for lineman. While I don't think that duke is a stretch, I do think that there are teams out there that would make the moves to get a player like him.

If we pick him though, we need to give him a nickname immediately. I would have a real hard time cheering for duke.

I actually like the Duke name. I can hear fans now yelling Duuuuuuke after a leveling block.

so if we draft him then next years' line:

Samuels, Rinehart(?), Rabach, Thomas(?), Heyer, Robinson, Jansen, Clark, Geisenger

and anybody else

* starters in Bold

Looks pretty good to me. But unfortunately this thread is probably pointless(even though I started it) because we all know that it isnt gonna happen. We are gonna end up taking another TE or something stupid like that. Or trade our first rounder.

Looks pretty good to me. But unfortunately this thread is probably pointless(even though I started it) because we all know that it isnt gonna happen. We are gonna end up taking another TE or something stupid like that. Or trade our first rounder.

Actually it could be very valid if we trade back like we did this past year. Interior linemen don't go very early.

Last year the first guard to go was Chilo Rachal (USC) at #39 and the first center to go was Mike Pollack (Arizona St.) at #59.

The last interior linemen to go in the first round was Davin Joseph to Tampa Bay at #23 in 2006.

We could trade back and get Duke Robinson and Alex Mack if they end up being what we think they are.

HitStick,

I was thinking the same thing...

Say we lose out this season and get Top 10-15.

If Eugene Monroe falls to us, I think we should take him.

If he doesn't fall to us.

I would say Trade our Top 10-15 pick to Lions.

Lions get Top 10-15 pick - (Which I would guess they take Heyward Bey)

Skins get Lions #2 1st Rounder (from Dallas)

Skins get Lions 3rd Rounder

Skins get Lions 6th Rounder

So we will have

1 - G - Duke Robinson

3 - OT - Phil Loadholt or OT Alex Boone or RB CJ Spiller

3 - DT -BJ Raji (But his stock is going up)

5 - DT -Ron Brace (Stock is raising too)

6 - C - Max Unger

6 - OT - Eric VandenHeuval (been reading mock drafts, he dropped in stock due to injury)

2010 Draft

1st Rd - Terrence Cody

Next Year

OLINE

LT - Samuels - Loadholt/Boone

LG - Robinson - Crummey (hoping we get him back)

C - Rabach - Unger

RG - Thomas - Rinehart

RT - Heyer - Vandenheuval

DEF

DE - Carter - Wilson

DT - Mtgomery - Golston

DT - BJ Raji - Ron Brace

DE - Taylor - Evans

Love this guy. He would be my top choice if we're drafting in the high teens/low 20's. And that's about where I've seen him mocked.

If he's taken by the time we pick I hope we target Alex Mack (C, California). He's being touted as the top C prospect in years.

One thing about Duke. He's a natural G. I don't know if I would try to move him to T like you suggested. He would be a mauler on the inside, though. An ideal replacement for Kendall or Thomas.

We need a Duke or a Mack truck on our line!

Well spoken. I think your analysis is correct both about the likelihood of him being there when we draft and the move to tackle for him. He's a better guard. And at 9-7 or 8-8 for the Skins, I think he's not going to be there when it's our turn to draft. Even though Vinny doesn't seem to recognize the value of an OLine, there are enough GM's that do to ensure Duke is not there when we draft.

But, although the need is great for an OT on the Skins, I feel the need is greater to get Alex Mack. We need someone who can handle the great nose tackles that are thrown against us when we play a 3-4 team. (Cowboys, Pittsburgh, Ravens, and did I mention the Cowboys?) You can add a TE to help the tackle out. Guards are usually occupied with their own assigmnments and the center has to stand alone against a 3-4. Mack can do that.

The center is also crucial to running on the inside, the goal line stand and 3rd or 4th and short. The center is the key to moving the pile. The tackles, although important, account for less push than the center of the line. If you have noticed Portis on 3rd or 4th and short, he has been running outside the tackle. There is not much push from the OLine, but there is currently none from the center of the Redskin line.

A third reason is that Mack may actually still be there when we pick as he is often conjectured around the 40th pick.

And the fourth and last reason is twofold. First, the dropoff between Mack and the "other" centers is significant. Although Duke is the best OL Pick of the draft, the dropoff between him and the OT's available is not as significant as the difference between Mack and all of the other available centers. Second, Mack + the 6th or 7th best OT available is better than Duke + any centers or guards after Mack is gone.

Heaven would be to get both of them, but I'm afraid it's not in the cards. Even if Vinny somehow changes his spots and does everything different than he ever did before and actually drafts two OL in the first two rounds (much less in the same draft!), I don't think think he's man enough to admit the current state of affairs on the OL is his fault. Drafting two OL would be that admission. Even if it is what this team needs.

Sorry to be the BUZ KILL. But Zorn will never play a rookie..
I beg to differ. See Mr. Horton.

The level of quality depreciates significantly as the number in the draft goes up. Picks 1 thru 20 are much stronger than picks 80 thru 100, unless some outside influence (character issues or health concerns) cause the player to be lower in the draft. Consequently, 3rd, 4th and 5th round draft picks, even if they make the team, are seldom going to start. First rounders should be able to start immediately and second rounders should see significant playing time in their first year.

So it's not Zorn. It's the talent and the experience of the rookies that determine their time on the field.

Archived