Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Rinehart from people who know football?

ThePreciating

I admit, I don't know much about projecting college football players into the NFL. I certainly know even less when the player comes from a non-BCS school.

Can someone here set some educated expectations for what we should plan to see from Rinehart this week if he plays? Should we expect an upgrade, a downgrade, a straight-up liability as in Geisinger at tackle, or what?

I'd appreciate it.

I expect him to play well because he's probably chomping at the bit to show what he can do. That being said, there's too much wrong with the line for one person to fix singlehandedly. Were still gonna struggle this week, but i don't think him playing will be the reason

Well... Chad was projected as a mid-7th rounder... we take him 3rd... Vinny didn't do his homework... Chad Rinehart's college teammate, Brandon Keith, was projected to be a better NFL player and was drafted in the SEVENTH round by the Cardinals, but lacks playing time.

We wasted our first 4 picks... or so it seems... maybe it's too early???

I think bringing him in now will get his learning curve on the faster track of sucess. I dont want to see Jason Fabini in there. If this guy is going to be on our line dont waste time poundering on the sideline on how he could be try him out these last 3 games so we know if we need to address this or do we have a legitamit young stud!

Well... Chad was projected as a mid-7th rounder... we take him 3rd... Vinny didn't do his homework... Chad Rinehart's college teammate, Brandon Keith, was projected to be a better NFL player and was drafted in the SEVENTH round by the Cardinals, but lacks playing time.

According to ESPN "so he projects as a late fourth round pick or early fifth round pick..." It may not be third, but its not quite seventh.

Lets not forget Vernon Gholston was thought of as a potential number 1 and see how that worked out. How about Glenn Dorsey? Kansas City papers are calling him a bust. Draft is a crap shoot.

According to ESPN "so he projects as a late fourth round pick or early fifth round pick..." It may not be third, but its not quite seventh.

Lets not forget Vernon Gholston was thought of as a potential number 1 and see how that worked out. How about Glenn Dorsey? Kansas City papers are calling him a bust. Draft is a crap shoot.

Tottally agree with you. Gholston was tought of as being one of the best defensive players in the draft with Dorsey right behind him. I also remember people saying that the Patriots reached on taking Jerod Mayo #10, that seems to have worked out. The draft is a bit of a crap shoot, but with good scouting like the Patriots, we could fix this.

He's very strong and powerful and seems to get a really good push in the run game from some of the clips I saw in preseason and in college. I also think he could get beat by speed rushers because he doesn't seem to have the quick feet you look for in a tackle.

I think he could be serviceable as a tackle but would be a very good guard. I think he could play tackle this week, though, as he won't be going up against a speed rusher anytime soon on the right side.

He was named first team All-American at left tackle in 2007, his senior senior at Northern Iowa, by the Sports Network, Associated Press, Walter Camp Football Foundation, and American Football Coaches Association. Sports Network had him rated as the top tackle in the nation preseason 2007. So, in college at least, he had some skills.

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rinehart_chad00.html

At 6'5", 310, he's got the size to play in the NFL.

Let's see what he can do.

BS:mad: Rinehart was projected to go 2nd to 3rd round. Wasted first 4 picks? Man please!!! The point is that the Skins drafted. And fans still whine.

And let us not also forget that Super Mario was declared a bust after his rookie year also. Just sayin'.;)

If Rinehart had been on a BCS level team he probably would have been a first round pick.

Especially with how fast Lineman went last year.

Rinehart is a great OT, but I think he projects to be a great OG in the NFL.

He will be here a long long time. Two of the players I was most excited about after the draft were Rinehart and UDFA Kerry Brown. I thought we would be set at OG in 2 years.

Rinehart will be great, he is a smart guy with a great work ethic. Certainly worth a shot, and getting his shot against the Bengals is a great Idea. I am a big fan of letting rookies get their confidence and this could be a good week for that.

Don't worry about this guy. He will be fine

When was the last time the draft gurus called a top-10 pick a bust on draft day. Not picked too high, but "wow, guy's going to be a bust".

As long as we're talking draft, I wonder why we give short shrift to the supplimental draft? The case that bothers me is Jerad Gaither of the Ravens. I believe they picked him up in the 5th round of the supp. What makes this so frustrating is that he was projected in the first round in the next years draft. How does any team pass up a first round OT when you can get him in themid rounds of the supp?

He's look damn good in Burgandy and Gold. 6'9" 333lbs with great feet and good athletisim.:2cents:

At this point I would like to see the rookies get some playing time on the OL. I know the coaches see them in practice but Skins are going to have to finally bite the bullet and revamp the OL. Chris Samuels should be able to return healthy next year and play better. But everyone else on the line has serious issues. Kendall was supposed to be a 2 year stop gap solution but he's perhaps playing better than all the other OL-men. Rabach can't really handle the bull rush - - although he's far better than what we had before. Jansen - nuff said. He's so far past his prime. The RG looks like he's declining rapidly as well. Fabini will probably do okay at RT for the last three games but Skins really need to see how the rookies handle a real game. Next year they may need to be the starter.

Well Vinny said on Redskins Nation last week that the Skins were going to take an offensive lineman in the first round this past year. Then the top seven guys they had on their board were all gone by the time the 21st pick came around, which is when we looked to trade out.

I guess they wanted to hop on Rinehart before they missed out again on a run of linemen they were interested in.

I admit, I don't know much about projecting college football players into the NFL. I certainly know even less when the player comes from a non-BCS school.

Can someone here set some educated expectations for what we should plan to see from Rinehart this week if he plays? Should we expect an upgrade, a downgrade, a straight-up liability as in Geisinger at tackle, or what?

I'd appreciate it.

Nfl Draft Scout said that he played both G/T in pre-season and looked good at both:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=21117&draftyear=2008&genpos=OG

[/url]

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chad-rinehart?id=300#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Chad Rinehart (OT)

300.jpg

• Height:
    6'5"
  • Weight:
  • College:
    Northern Iowa
  • Conference:
    Gateway
  • Hometown:
    Boone, IA
  • High School:
    Boone
  • View Draft Page >>

player-profile-tp-head.gif |

Analysis

Positives: Has a tall frame with good overall body thickness, especially in his legs...Has room to add additional bulk, but it could affect his overall quickness...Has good arm length and very good straight-line quickness and explosion for his size...Durable athlete with the ability to play through pain...Has very good balance on the move and takes good angles in pursuit of second-level defenders, evident by his high amount of downfield blocks every year...Shows good body control and adequate change-of-direction agility...Could shift inside to guard at the next level because of his trap-blocking skills and his ability to pick up stunts and blitzes when working in-line...All-out battler with a solid work ethic, showing a good mental grasp of the game, quickly taking plays from the chalkboard to the playing field...Hard worker in the weight room and does a nice job of using that power to deliver a jarring hand punch...Shows the explosion off the snap to easily seal the corner and has a "take no prisoners" approach taking on defenders, as he plays until the whistle and will not hesitate to punish him man...Respected team leader who will not hesitate to get vocal when a teammate fails to perform to standards...Must improve his knee bend, but backpedals quickly in pass protection, taking full advantage of his big chest, powerful arms, wide hips and thick thighs to easily wall off the defender...Has adequate quickness off the snap, showing the balance to keep his feet in attempts to gain position blocking in-line...Classic mauler who has the hand pop to shock and surprise a defender, doing a nice job of getting under the opponents' jerseys to sustain...When he keeps his pads down, he generates the explosion needed to create and maintain the rush lanes and has the ability to execute good angles to stalk and neutralize second-level defenders (eight downfield blocks in five 2007 games and 15 more in 11 game in '06)...With his strength, hand punch, body control and ability to square up, he is very effective at getting out in front on pulls and traps...Does a nice job of getting position to wall off the blitzers and displays very good balance and anchor taking on the bull rush...Very active going after other defenders after the initial block...Will deliver the crunching hand punch to keep defenders on their heels and is a very focused drive blocker who simply knocks over defenders with true aggression...Generates movement, firing low to take the defender off his feet...Knows how to extend his arms and take proper blocking angles to prevent the bull rush.

Negatives: Has good explosion coming off the snap, but might be a better fit to play inside at guard, as he is a bit of a waist-bender and struggles at times to move laterally, but does compensate with a strong hand punch and ability to maintain his anchor...Has a very powerful hand punch, but must do a better job extending to make reach blocks and keeping placement longer in attempts to sustain...Has the explosion to get back and take on edge rushers, but lacks the speed to recover when beaten off the snap...Might not have the flexibility to play tackle at the next level, but he shows the strength to leverage and create movement, along with holding the crease for the running game when redirecting inside (traits needed for an offensive guard).

Compares To: LOGAN MANKINS-New England...Like Mankins, Rinehart is a collegiate tackle who might have a quicker route to a starting job at the professional level with a potential shift to offensive guard. He is a punishing trap blocker with good explosion getting out in front when pulling. He uses his strength well to sustain and widen rush lanes, but must work on bending more at the knees than at the waist. He has a hand punch that will shock and jolt an opponent, showing improvement placing those hands as a senior than he did in the past. In isolated coverage, he will dominate a smaller opponent. With his body control and ability to square up and wall off second level defenders, he could bring immediate value with a possible shift in-line.

:cheers:

Archived