Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell isn't the problem, nor is he the solution

redskins0756

Since drafting Jason Campbell out of Auburn in 2005 I've always wondered what possessed the front office to trade back into the first round to grab a quarterback? What did they see in him? Usually teams will do such a thing if they think the guy is going to be star in this league or will somehow lead them to victory. At this point I haven't seen what the front office saw to warrant drafting Campbell that high and giving up numerous draft picks in the process.

Campbell has proved in now his 4th year in the league that he still has the same mechanical problems that coaches claimed they could fix. Year after year we saw his elongated throwing motion causing him lots of trouble. Last year for example it was the culprit of a league high 8 lost fumbles. This year it has caused defenses to collapse on him easier and disrupt his timing and in some cases sack him. While some claim that the offensive line is all to blame for Campbell's woes, I tend to go in the opposite direction. His mechanics are causing a large part of the problem and his pocket presence, which has been criticized since day 1 even by Head Coach Jim Zorn, has yet to develop to the level it needs to be.

So if Campbell had so many problems why did we draft him? Well like they say hindsight is 20-20 and the Redskins thought this guy could be molded into a star. But obviously this experiment isn't working.

The best thing to do for both parties, Campbell and the Redskins, is to finish out the season with Jason playing. If the Redskins are out of the playoff race let Colt Brennan or Todd Collins take some snaps. But in the off-season I think it's time to end the Jason Campbell era. He isn't the type of guy who is going to make large numbers of mistakes, but he is also not a solution as far as being a starting QB.

Washington is still searching for a viable starting QB and they haven't found one since 1999 when Brad Johnson sprang out of the pumpkin patch. Unfortunately we let the guy go and he won a Super Bowl 2 years later.

Who would have thought with the Redskins luck? :whoknows:

Since drafting Jason Campbell out of Auburn in 2005 I've always wondered what possessed the front office to trade back into the first round to grab a quarterback? What did they see in him? Usually teams will do such a thing if they think the guy is going to be star in this league or will somehow lead them to victory. At this point I haven't seen what the front office saw to warrant drafting Campbell that high and giving up numerous draft picks in the process.

Joe Gibbs saw a really big qb with a big arm that could hand the ball off to one of the best rb tandems in college.

This is a Gibbs article from the Washington Post defending his decision to draft JC.

"Gibbs said Campbell's football intellect is considerable and his transition should be eased by the similarities between Auburn's system last season and Washington's. All of his offensive assistants rated the quarterback highly as well. Gibbs and Campbell shied away from projecting when he would be ready to start an NFL game, but his allure was too great for Gibbs to pass up.

"It takes a long time to get [a quarterback] ready to play for you," Gibbs said. "So we felt like it was something value-wise that we had to do."

Gibbs said he prizes character, smarts and toughness above arm strength and accuracy when analyzing quarterbacks, and believes that while raw, Campbell has all of those traits."

Gibbs drafted JC to quarterback a power run offense that occasionally throws the deep ball. JC was never drafted to run the WCO.

This is a Gibbs article from the Washington Post defending his decision to draft JC.

"Gibbs said Campbell's football intellect is considerable and his transition should be eased by the similarities between Auburn's system last season and Washington's. All of his offensive assistants rated the quarterback highly as well. Gibbs and Campbell shied away from projecting when he would be ready to start an NFL game, but his allure was too great for Gibbs to pass up.

"It takes a long time to get [a quarterback] ready to play for you," Gibbs said. "So we felt like it was something value-wise that we had to do."

Gibbs said he prizes character, smarts and toughness above arm strength and accuracy when analyzing quarterbacks, and believes that while raw, Campbell has all of those traits."

Gibbs drafted JC to quarterback a power run offense that occasionally throws the deep ball. JC was never drafted to run the WCO.

Well you wouldn't know that by his play last year in Gibbs system. He certainly didn't shine at all and as far as that "football intellect", I have yet to see it.

I agree with Hoosierskin the most. He is playing scared. I have never seen a QB have so many chances to either run for the first down or make the quick past to get rid of the ball. Campbell has a slow release and throws a interception and gets sacked. And its causing the team to loose the game. Redskins may not have the best offensive line, but if the QB would get rid of the ball a little faster for a quick pass, we would not loose so many yards on sacks and maybe still win the game. If Campbell is scared then he needs to take a 3rd string seat on the bench and let Collins or Brennan start. Both of those two have been begging for a start and would probably do better.

Collins should be our starter Qb for the next three games. If we beat Philly and Dallas looses the next two, that means we can make the Wild Card. Now there is no time for mistakes, because us beating Bengals may make a difference in our run for the play offs. Yea, we are last place in our devision but it does not mean that we cant go out strong. Now is the time you want to release all the weapons you have. And that means take she weakest links out the game such as Campbell. I bet you 100 dollars if we put Collins in, then the game would start to look a whole lot different. With a accurate and more experienced QB in the game, more points can be put on the board.

Campbell is not an effective weapon.

No he wasnt. Brandon Jacobs went to So. Illinois :doh:

Jacobs spent his first year, 2003, at Auburn. He transferred to So. Illinois because he couldn't get any playing time behind Brown and Williams.

He was really bitter about it at first and would always change the subject if anyone asked about his time at Auburn. Now that some time has passed and he's so succesful with the Giants, he handles the questions differently and says he learned a lot at Auburn and values the time he had there.

it makes me wonder, if we had a high quality O-line, how many TD's would Campbell be able to throw for us? I have seen him make some great throws right on the money, and I have seen him throw some passes(with good pass protection) that were really terrible. At first I thought that maybe he just needed to work on some things to get his game improved, but now I'm not so sure. Mainly because he continues to make the same kinds of mistakes.

I think that your thread title was very well put. I don't think JC is a terrible QB who absolutely sucks, but now I'm not so sure that he can be a star quarterback that the Redskins need to score points and not get handled by all the above-average teams. We can't even bully around the crappier teams in the league, because we play down to there level. So we can't play at a high level against the really good teams, and yet we under-perform against the crappy teams. Something must be changed, and it works out to either upgrading the O-line and hoping Campbell can be 'the guy' behind a good line, or looking elsewhere for someone who can lead the team at QB. I'm starting to look towards the latter, but still not 100% sure I wanna give up on JC yet.

You know, I'm starting to think the same thing. He's not a bad QB(I actually think he has mad potential), but I don't think he has the composure or mental ability(aka making reads and decisions) to be a great QB and the type to lead us to a Super Bowl. And that's the goal/point, right? I don't think it's time to give up on him yet, though...we invested too much in him and need to give him an actual line to play behind first. But I will say that I am skeptical and not optimistic.

I loved Brad Johnson by the way.

Jacobs spent his first year, 2003, at Auburn. He transferred to So. Illinois because he couldn't get any playing time behind Brown and Williams.

He was really bitter about it at first and would always change the subject if anyone asked about his time at Auburn. Now that some time has passed and he's so succesful with the Giants, he handles the questions differently and says he learned a lot at Auburn and values the time he had there.

Correct, he was the 3rd back in that system and didnt have much production. That wouldve been an amazing trio though. Brown, Cadillac, and Jacobs. Scary.

I can agree with the statement being made in the thread. Yes, Cambell would be better with more time and better talent around him, but who wouldn't. He's not the only reason we're struggling, but he isn't doing anything on his own to help turn things around. I think the weaknesses he has especially in a WCO are as follows:

1. Long delivery usually means the ball gets there late. Instead of hitting people in stride, the defense makes it to them in time so the YAC is low.

2. Mobility. JC can run straight line but he has slow feet in the pocket and he just doesn't maneuver around in there well enough. (i.e. Romo sits to pee played bad today, but the TD he threw today to TO was a result of his ability to move in the pocket)

3. Stares down receivers...

4. Accuracy- He missed some easy throws today and on the season wven when he hits wr's, he doesn't help them by giving it to them in position where they can do much after the catch.....

While some claim that the offensive line is all to blame for Campbell's woes, I tend to go in the opposite direction. His mechanics are causing a large part of the problem and his pocket presence, which has been criticized since day 1 even by Head Coach Jim Zorn, has yet to develop to the level it needs to be.

Sorry I have to disagree with this part. If you look at the times that he has gotten protection and had time to throw the ball, he was great. So good that people were commenting on his ability and talent.

When the line stopped blocking, things have gotten ugly.

IMO it's the west coast offense to blame. it's all timing. with a QB who is learning and a line who can't block, rythm and timing isn't going to happen.

Since drafting Jason Campbell out of Auburn in 2005
Campbell has proved in now his 4th year in the league

What did Jason "prove" while he was on the bench? This is Jason's 2nd year as our starting QB (sorry but 06 doesn't count)....he did get injured and replaced by Collins last season in December but that still counts as a season under JC's belt.

JC's interviews postgame are very troubling.

1. Saying that the defenses they faced have done that to a lot of teams is a pathetic excuse to say after a game like this. Gie credit to the opponent but he's making it sound like we should never expect a big game versus a good team. Awful

2. Referencing injuries??? Can you imagine a great QB saying that. A lead would say its on me and us to get better with whatever we have...

I just think the pressure has gotten to him and he is beginning to crack. It may be best to sit him and let him take a step back....Hasselback was benched for Dilfer in Seattle before he settled in....

I think the real point of this thread is that some fans are disappointed that JC is not Brett Favre, Tony Romo sits to pee or John Elway. Campbell probably is never going to be a guy who can draw up plays in the dirt and make something out of nothing.

That being said, give the guy protection and he probably can run a good offense. We saw some of that early on when he was getting good protection. That can be good enough to win a Superbowl or two. Certainly there are plenty of those guys around and they do quite well.

This is a great thread, and I agree with most of what has been said. Personally, I think he needs to be benched ... a message needs to get to him that his continued poor performance will be his ticket out of town.

That being said, give the guy protection and he probably can run a good offense. We saw some of that early on when he was getting good protection. That can be good enough to win a Superbowl or two. Certainly there are plenty of those guys around and they do quite well.

But is that enough? There will be a time regardless of your o-line where you need the QB to make a play and I just don't think Campbell is that guy.

I think the real point of this thread is that some fans are disappointed that JC is not Brett Favre, Tony Romo sits to pee or John Elway. Campbell probably is never going to be a guy who can draw up plays in the dirt and make something out of nothing.

He made some really nice throws today when he wasn't running for his life.

Question to all those who want an answer of him: If he were to say this:

"I missed some throws and some reads, but the O-Line pass blocking absolutely sucks, and now they can't run block any more, and every time I go back to throw, I either get hit, sacked, or have somebody rolling around at my feet, and I look at Flaco and every other QB that we play, and they have this nice pocket and running game, what the %^&@! do you want from me?"

That's probably what he's thinking, but can't say it. It should be what he's thinking, because it's the freakin' truth.

In this game, the first 14 points were attributed to exactly 2 players: Samuels for getting beat like a drum by Suggs, which led to Campbell having his arm hit, and Portis for fumbling, which led directly to a TD.

JC made some very good throws after that, when he wasn't running for his life.

But is that enough? There will be a time regardless of your o-line where you need the QB to make a play and I just don't think Campbell is that guy.

He might never be Peyton, Brady or Favre, but he could be Hasselbeck with a little patience.

You ask, is that enough. Here are some SB winning QBs: Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

So yes, it can be enough with the right supporting cast.

Since JC has been on the team. Redskins with JC as QB in regular season games after December 1st: 1-6 (not counting the Bears game when TC came in).

Redskins without JC at QB in regular season games after December 1st: 8-0. (9-0 if you count the Bears game)

He can't get it done when it counts the most. How can anyone consider a qb with a 14% win percentage in late season games as even an average QB when compared to what his teammates playing QB did in the same time span?

Archived