Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No huddle shotgun offense (Merged)

addicted

Is the key to winning this weekend the no huddle shotgun?

We used the no huddle shotgun offense three times against NY. At the end of the first half we used it and drove 40+ yards. The first time we used it in the fourth quarter we moved the ball 40+ yards and the second drive we went 50+ yards. JC didn't fumble or turn the ball over although Moss did fumble. JC was only sacked once for -11 yards in this offense.

Why were we able to cover so many yards in this formation but when we took our time we weren't able to move the ball like this? Is this the way this offense should be operating going forward?

While I don't think we have either the QB or the receivers to run the K-gun, i.e. go exclusively no-huddle, I do think it's something we should utilize a little more, for two reasons.

One, it gets JC off the LoS and thereby gives him some space from D-linemen who've been feasting on our pass pro this year.

Two, it creates the tempo that JZ talked so much about in TC and pre-.

It should be used judiciously however, or it becomes predictable like everything else we've been trying to achieve offensively.

At some point (and a must-win December game would be a nice time) the team has to do something unconventional and unpredictable to make the opposing defense earn its money.

I like the no-huddle shotgun idea, but I would take anything. Basically, Zorn needs to go outside the box and follow a different script to spark this offense.

Well, people will say the Giants were in a "prevent" and thats true, but I do think doing something different, revolutionary different, against the Ravens would be more successful than more of the same.

In addition, a face paced predominant passing attack would tire the Raven's pass rush.

Just a few things I want to see sunday:

1) Laron tackle with his eyes open. He has missed/whiffed on a few this year.

2) Someone hit the QB. At this point I would allow the 15 yard roughing the passer pen just to see someone hit the QB and hit him hard. Put some fear into him.

3) WR's not drop a pass and use their hands to catch and not their chest. Football basics there.

4) Score more than a TD?

5) The O-line block for 3 seconds. Just 3. That should be enough time to get off an accurate pass.

I know, I'm asking for a lot here.

Going no huddle more will tire the players out too much if used alot more. Hell you dont even see the Colts using it all that much anymore, and they used to run it more than anyone in years past.

Isn't the idea to tire out the Defense one of the keys to being able to move the ball successfully? DButz you make our team sound like they simply couldn't handle this exercise. I would think that a professional football players stamina and endurance is much higher then the risk of being blown up and winded after using the no huddle shotgun offense for more then two series a half. If our guys are really that tired after this then I would say lets find us some better conditioning coaches in the offseason. The conditioning coaches are already in hot water in my eyes since the rookies came in out of shape and unprepared this offseason. If our players are out of shape like you suggest I would want these guys fired for not doing thier jobs.

Why do you think something that works should only be used no more then 2 series per half?

See my first post in this thread. We don't have the people to run it exclusively. It should be used as more of a changeup than anything else, to keep the defense on it's heels for a short period of time. Anything else produces drastically diminishing returns, if you ask me. Defenses adjust to it like anything else.

New York was playing prevent in the last drive of the game, so that's why it was effective, but I liked how the last drive of the first half worked. I'd like to see the hurry up, shotgun or not, more often. They practice at a fast pace, why not carry it over to the game?:2cents:

We used this three times last game and the Giants were not in prevent all three times. None of the three drives produced less then 40 yards of offense.

See my first post in this thread. We don't have the people to run it exclusively. It should be used as more of a changeup than anything else, to keep the defense on it's heels for a short period of time. Anything else produces drastically diminishing returns, if you ask me. Defenses adjust to it like anything else.

So your saying we should only use this for a short peroid of time because our players conditioning won't allow for more of it?

So your saying we should only use this for a short peroid of time because our players conditioning won't allow for more of it?

Not at all. I think it's a nice change of tempo thing that we probably couldn't run all game, for a couple of reasons -- the biggest of which is I don't believe JC has the ability to call the plays as he goes, which as I understand it HAS to happen in a no-huddle. I also don't believe Zorn would put that much faith in him to do so even if he could.

Not at all. I think it's a nice change of tempo thing that we probably couldn't run all game, for a couple of reasons -- the biggest of which is I don't believe JC has the ability to call the plays as he goes, which as I understand it HAS to happen in a no-huddle. I also don't believe Zorn would put that much faith in him to do so even if he could.
Didn't he call mostly his own plays at home against Philly last year?

Didn't he call mostly his own plays at home against Philly last year?

That I don't know, brother. It also occurs to me that the helmet comm could take that out of the equation, but then there's this to consider: we've seen that break down in games this year, and I would argue that it happens more than we suspect. If and when it does, what then?

Above and beyond that, I still think it should be used sparingly. The no-huddle, that is.

Is the key to winning this weekend the no huddle shotgun?

We used the no huddle shotgun offense three times against NY. At the end of the first half we used it and drove 40+ yards. The first time we used it in the fourth quarter we moved the ball 40+ yards and the second drive we went 50+ yards. JC didn't fumble or turn the ball over although Moss did fumble. JC was only sacked once for -11 yards in this offense.

Why were we able to cover so many yards in this formation but when we took our time we weren't able to move the ball like this? Is this the way this offense should be operating going forward?

while i love the approach, remember it doesn't come without its perils.

- Much harder to communicate. Errors in wrong route running/assignments get magnified in this setup

- Limits the offense' ability to sub too. The rule is if you sub, then you can't snap until the defense is given a chance to sub also.

- Have to be able to run from this formation. Otherwise the pass rush isn't honest.

- Not the best attack once in the RZ, except if you're Indy... those jerks have had years to work on quick calls & signals. We're not close to that level.

how did the ny giants beat the ravens, by using the shotgun and giving eli manning more time to throw the ball....For the people who say that the shotgun stunts the running game, obviously the running game didnt work out last week and we were using single back and i formations. lets spread the field, give campbell time and adjust because the redsins have been doing the same thing over and over again.

There is no doubt this year that Campbell does well in it. He completes more passes when they use that formation- unless the receiver drops the ball of course. I heard that Zorn believes that the defense knows you won't run out of that so it gives the defense an advanatage to set up for pass coverage.

Archived