Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does Portis never break off big runs?

SteveFromYellowstone

Chill dude. I'm talking about big runs as in runs of 40+ yards.

Jesus, I guess I can't say anything about Portis that isn't praise without being berated

I guess he remembered that personal insults results in timeouts, but you still was able to quote him:D

I don't think this thread is attacking Portis, we all know he is a great all around running back. He just doesn't show the ability to go 60-70 yards like say a Westbrook or Peterson. I don't know if that matters too much, his output is still tops in the league. It would be nice to have someone on our team that is a threat to take it to the house out of the back field.

I don't think this thread is attacking Portis, we all know he is a great all around running back. He just doesn't show the ability to go 60-70 yards like say a Westbrook or Peterson. I don't know if that matters too much, his output is still tops in the league. It would be nice to have someone on our team that is a threat to take it to the house out of the back field.

See, that's kind of what I'm getting at.

Atlanta has their power back who carries the team on his back in Michael Turner, but they also have Jerious Norwood. Norwood is a threat to go to the house every time he touches the ball.

I'm not attacking Portis at all.

I'm not sure why. I wouldn't say he has lost a step because he can still explode through a whole when it opens and he gets goin real fast. If you look at the run against the Eagles where he trucked 3 guys then Dawkins had to make a TD saving tackle he showed that he still has awsome explosion. So really I don't know why.

It's hard to break off 40 yard runs when defenses are putting 8 men in the box. You can't expect him to break a big run every time. He his averaging the most YPC this year since being with the Skins. I'm happy when he breaks off a 10-20 yard run. You can't get the big one every time.

I think he may have lost a step, but it certainly hasn't effected his overall performance. I think we need at some point draft a young running back to learn from Portis, the years are adding up on him.

It isnt the years, its the pounding. NFC EAST football baby is BRUTAL.

And so is Adrian Peterson, but see Chester Taylor.

Chester Taylor carries more a game than Betts. I am not blaming Betts, because I am one who feels he needs a few more carries, but Clinton is one of very few backs taking MAJORITY of the carries and still doing what he is doing. This is how backs wear down. Right now either the coaching staff needs to get Betts more involved, or Portis is going to wear down sooner rather than later.

It's hard to break off 40 yard runs when defenses are putting 8 men in the box. You can't expect him to break a big run every time. He his averaging the most YPC this year since being with the Skins. I'm happy when he breaks off a 10-20 yard run. You can't get the big one every time.

Actually its easier to hit big plays when they have 8 in the box. 1 miss tackle or gap resposibility and its TO THE HOUSE. Didnt you see highlights of Titans/Chiefs game? If L.White can break an 85 yarder, why hasnt Portis? Has to be the injuries.

Isnt C.Johnson the starter?????

When he was, he was getting shut down. When he was splitting with Lendale (they went back that way against the Lions) they dominated. They have a formular, Lendale you pound, CJ you break it. We are asking Portis to do it all!! Betts needs to step up in what he is getting or needs to get more opportunities. One or the other has to happen.

He has not had a run of more than 40 yards since 2005. Is it him, or the line? Is he too much of a bruiser now, lacking the elusiveness he once had?

Portis has played amazingly well this year. He just can't seem to get a big play.

I think its 2 things:

- he carries the ball too much

IMO the coaching staff wears him out during the game and the season they should rotate with Betts more to keep the RBs fresh and wear out the defenses...

- Also Kid Bro Sweets ain't a "kid" anymore, he might have lost a little bit of wiggle

:2cents:

Archived