Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reasonable Expectations This Season

Eparadox

Originally posted by Art

Foo,

I'm always objective. Dallas fans often confuse my belief that talent on a three consecutive 5-11 football teams isn't all that good with a lack of objectivity. It appears only if I deem Dallas' talent to be substantially better than any of them warrant being considered do you guys agree. But, as is the norm, that's a flaw in you, not one in me :).

That's an interesting perspective from a guy who's a fan of a team that has sniffed the playoffs once in the last 10 years.

However, I'll certainly keep it in mind. ;)

9/4 New York Jets. Loss. I'm flying across the country to see this game. Every time I do that, the Skins get crushed. Hmm. Maybe I'll stay in Cali.

9/14 at Atlanta. Win. Champ shuts down Peerless. LaVar knocks out Vick.

9/21 New York Giants. Win. As usual, Jansen dominates Strahan.

9/28 New England. Win. Spurrier wins the chess match.

10/5 at Philadelphia. Loss. I think Philly will take a step back this year, but I just can't see us beating them twice.

10/12 Tampa Bay. Win. Should be a great one. The speed of our offense against the speed of their defense.

10/19 at Buffalo. Loss. If someone doesn't step up this year and get us some sacks, guys like Bledsoe are going to kill us.

11/2 at Dallas. Win. Parcells is one of the best coaches ever but it's going to take him a year to get things going. I'm still a little worried he might sign Griese after he gets a look at Hutch and Quincy.

11/9 Seattle. Loss. The Seahawks are my sleeper team this year. I have no idea why.

11/16 at Carolina. Win. Jake Delhomme screams Rob Johnson -- a qb who made a bundle off two good games.

11/23 at Miami. Win. The Dolphins annual late-season slide starts with a loss to us.

11/30 New Orleans. Win. Ramsey gets his revenge. Haslett threatens to kill Da Ball Coach after the game.

12/7 at New York Giants. Loss. I saw Jeremy Shockey at a Lakers game a couple weeks back. He is scary big -- looks like Triple H or something. I seriously considered taking his knees out, which would have instantly made me eligible for the Extreme Skins hall of fame.

12/14 Dallas. Win. The streak's at three and counting.

12/21 at Chicago. Win. This time, we beat them with a trick play.

12/27 Philadelphia. Win. Samuels can't believe the Birds replaced Douglas with a rookie.

11 - 5. We lose in the second round of the playoffs. Spurrier wins Coach of the Year. We sign Abraham away from the Jets in the off-season.

My prediction?

No one here has it right!

Bank on it :laugh:

Seriously, I am confident Ramsey will play well enough in 12 of 16 games for us to win. He'll have 4 marginal to bad games at a minimum, he's still essentially a rook afterall, although a talented one. I put less import on Ramsey's play than does Art, probably because I think he's a major strength and can play consistently well. It will be reducing glaring errors at critical junctures that holds the key this year. I'd like to see us be able to get through games without a delay penalty because we couldn't a play called and off on time. Spurrier I believe is a good coach. He did not however coach particularly well last year. He'd better improve this year. I'm hopeful as he seems much more confident and involved since Lewis left. Finally, I think the difference between 7-9 (the worst I think we'll do) and 11-5 is our play at home. Watch our Jets home opener closely as I think it sets the tone for the entire season. We have played pathetically at home for the better part of a decade now. We absolutely have to win most of our home games, and compete hard in those we can't win, to have a successful season.

10-6 and we win the division (homer alert!).

On the one hand, I think Patrick is probably a year away, so I'm thinking more along the lines 7-9.

On the other hand, if our O-Line is as good as I think it will be, that may make up for quite a bit of PR's youth. So, if the oline turns out to be one the better one's in the NFL, we could be 10-6 and in the playoffs.

Now, on the my third hand, if our d-line's passrush were somehow to be better than expected, or Lavar and co. are able to add pressure without opening up the entire middle of the field or whatever, and the oline plays well, and PR plays wiser than his years, we could win it all. So, being the even-handed and level-headed fan that I am, I'd say, we probably will win it all.

7-9 at best; you guys are no where as good as you think you are.

I can only think of 2 players from your team that I would want on mine, but according to some of your fans you had the best off season of any team????????????????????WTF??????????????

F1,

If you can only think of two players on our team you'd want on yours I'm prompted to ask the question, what year's All-Madden team is your team?

We've certainly had a better offseason than any team not played by you on the X-Box. If you feel differently, feel free to put up a comparison of moves and we'll see how you stack up.

I far my part am a little bit more optimistic in my expectations then some of you, especially considering a few facts. Consider that we had a 7-9 record last year with Spurrier coaching Marty's team. Origninally when Spurrier came on board I though that was the answers to our prayers, but after looking at our lack of talent and the circus our season became on many fronts, 7-9 last years was actually amazing.

Consider this, (1)we had no real WR speed(2) We used all three QB's atleast twice as starters, one of which was a rookie who missed most of training camp. (3) We had some of the worst interior line play in the whole league, especially early in the year. (4) we went 1-5 in our own division.(5) We had one of the worst turnover ratios in the league (especially fumbles). (6) We had kicking problems all year. (7) I'm sure I can think of more issues, but I've been drinking.

One might say yeah that fine but you have a tough schedule this year. Fact is I can't really remeber the last time the league gave us a schedule that didn't have its share of challenges......last year other than the last 2 games wasn't a cupcake schedule either.

All I know is that the skins have addressed clear areas of need with proven players with talent. Like some of you Ramsey is the wild card this season. But the kid is intelligent and has been studying this offense for some time now and has some NFL experience. If he stays true to form with his progress from last year, this team can easily with the division and be a contender (though I'll be happy enough with the playoffs this year).

9/4 New York Jets(WIN)

9/14 at Atlanta(LOSE)

9/21 New York Giants(WIN)

9/28 New England(WIN)

10/5 at Philadelphia(LOSE)

10/12 Tampa Bay(LOSE)

10/19 at Buffalo(WIN)

11/2 at Dallas(WIN)

11/9 Seattle(WIN)

11/16 at Carolina(WIN)

11/23 at Miami(WIN)

11/30 New Orleans(LOSE)

12/7 at New York Giants(LOSE)

12/14 Dallas(WIN)

12/21 at Chicago(WIN)

12/27 Philadelphia(WIN)

There it is 12-5. Three good wins going into playoffs lands us into the NFC Championship game. It would be nice to have a Super Bowl but I will settle for NFC Championship.

Also, Ramsey throws for 4,000. Arrington gets 13 sacks. Smoot and Champ 9 picks between them. And best of all Sultan runs for 750.

Originally posted by f1car

7-9 at best; you guys are no where as good as you think you are.

I can only think of 2 players from your team that I would want on mine, but according to some of your fans you had the best off season of any team????????????????????WTF??????????????

Well, since your senses obviously have left you, allow me to explain it. I will write nice and slow, so you can keep up.

Last year our interior line was as loose and easy to penetrate as your sister.

So this offseason we have acquired 5 guards, including the consensus "best available' of the free agent market, Randy Thomas. The Redskins run a passing, spread offense. thomas is quick on his feet, and tailor made to fit what the Redskins will attempt to do. We have acquired guards that can play mulitple positions along the OL. Fiore can also play center, and Moore (last year's center) can play guard. Having interchangeable parts on the OL can prove to be crucial should the injury bug hit.

In my, and many other estimations, the Redskins solidly improved their offensive line.

Last year we had big slow receivers. Derrius Thompson, while a decent player, is not the mold of the type of offense the Redskins will run. They are not 'ball control', they are not 'heavy jumbo',, they are not '3 yards and a cloud of dust'. Hence, there was a CLEAR need for speed.

Laveraneous Coles runs in the neghborhood of 4.2, has excellent hands, and makes razor sharp cuts. In each of his NFL seasons he has improved DRAMATICALLY. He's going into his 4th year, prime time for a hotshot WR. Coupled with Rod Gardner, who is big and powerful and plenty capable of getting deep, gettting the ball in traffic, and geting 80+ receptions a year, you have an improved core of starting WRs. Taylor Jacobs was a flat out STEAL in the 2nd round, and he already knows the offense like the back of his hand. Oh yeah, he has burners on his feet, too.

The Redskins needed a kicker, so they signed one that makes 85% of his FGs once he gets out of that wind tunnel called Jets,,, oops. Sorry.. ..Giants Stadium. Compare that with every kicker we've had run thru here in the last 2 years, and it's an upgrade. (Now, Norv Turner had David Akers in here back in 2000 for a week, and cut him. For that, I can only hope that anyone born in Norv's family bloodline from now to eternity be stricken with smaller than average genitals.)

The backfield now consists of explosive speed in Canidate and Morton and Betts (who ran in the neighborhood of 4.5 at 220 pounds. oUcH, Mr Linebacker). Granted , no one in that group is exactly proven, but Canidate has shown flashes of brilliance. (in 2001, Canidate started 3 games for Marshall Faulk, who was hurt.. 195 vs the Jets in his first start, caught ten passes for 107 the following week, had a bye week and then took the ball 145 yards vs the Panthers. The Rams won all 3 games. The next week, he handed the job back to Faulk, and the Rams lost on Monday Night. The only knock, he fumbled 3 times, and lost 2. 547 yards of offense out of your tailback in 3 games, vs 2 turnovers. Is that a fair trade off? Ideally, no, and he needs to clean up his fumbling. But if he produces yards like that.. wow, who could argue. Ask yourself if it warrants deciding to draft another RB the following season in the 3rd round like Mike Martz did. then, before you start yakking on and on about why he couldn't cut it in St Louis, ask yourself how many backs there are in the NFL that could start over Marshall Faulk.)

Chad Morton is another back with an incredible burst of speed.

Granted, none of these guys has shown much, but none of them have had much chance to, either.

QB Ramsey had himself a fine rookie year, all things considered. The kid is sharp and focused, good mechanics, and a strong arm. He has an excellent teacher in Spurrier who has the exceptional ability to develop a QB on the fast track.

The defense was #5 last year, and lost precisely one player of any consequence, and his bad back makes that a sensible move. By the way, when i say one player of consequence, bear in mind that the defense only lost two players altogether. One of them is David Terrell, who isn't gone, just out of the lineup because he stinks like 4 ay old fish. (Please note i did not make fun of your sister again, even though the opportunity has clearly presented itself) Considering that he was the weak link last sedason, I can't see anything but an upgrade in the secondary.

So, there you have it. Long winded, full of facts. I expect you'll likely retort with a clever 'They Suck!" , or better yet "you suck!". But to lay out your reasons as to why you feel this team hasn't improved even one game is something I'd be truly shocked to see.

~Bang

I think you will be better this year because, on balance, your talent is better and because your coach will be a real head coach instead of a co-coach. And everyone who follows this board knows that Art is always purely objective and fair. Who could think otherwise? I don't think you will sweep Dallas, though.

Angus you wrote, "And everyone who follows this board knows that Art is always purely objective and fair."

Among the most insightful things uttered by a Cowboy fan in years. Well done :).

Its more about when you play 'em then who you play and injuries can make big diference too. I also believe that ALL games can be won but also that ALL games can be lossed. This stated I'll make a range like Art..

High: 13-3 (we win most of the question marks and all the ones we should win)

Middle: 9-7 (we win the games we should win or make up for the loss by winning a question mark)

Low: 4-12 (we loose the questions marks and some we should win)

New York Jets(W)

at Atlanta(?)

New York Giants(W)

New England(W)

at Philadelphia(?)

Tampa Bay(?)

Buffalo(W)

at Dallas(W)

Seattle(W)

at Carolina(W)

at Miami(?)

New Orleans(W)

at New York Giants(?)

Dallas(W)

at Chicago(?)

Philadelphia(W)

Offering the benefit of the doubt I presumed no sarcasm was present and you were, indeed, an intelligent entity. If you're stating it was present, well, then you're just a Dallas fan. Figured :)

While Ramsey is the big question mark, I don't see him being considerably worse than Ramsey/Wuerfful/Matthews experiment we ran last year. If he simply plays as well as last season's trifecta, we should end up around 9-7. Spurrier has a much-needed year of experience under his belt and we've improved in several areas ... areas which compliment Spurrier's scheme.

I do actually think losing Davis might hurt more than we realize, though. And Marv Lewis too. But excuses are just that, and I EXPECT to see a new coach show improvement from one year to the next. Period. If we are out of WC contention by the first week of December again, I'll be pretty dissappointed.

Archived