Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis rushing leader = Avg. Team Once again

Cooool...E

Can someone please explain why a top running game seems to translate into an average offense/average team? We are one of 3 teams who have not scored 30 pts. once this season. The other two Cincy, Detroit.

Yet, we have CP on pace for a humongous season.

theory: rushing the ball takes so much time off the clock that it literally allows for one score per quarter max. Stupid, I know but why else?

Don't we think it is time to completely focus on the passing game. I mean seriously, the other team that comes to mind who we replicate is the Jags. They play tough Defense and run the ball well. That philosophy is beat and translates into mediocrity. They are the ultimate mediocre team. Even when we are on our game we score so few points that every game is close and comes down to the last play.

Until we have a full blown effective passing game expect many seasons of average Redskin football.

Mainly because when we've tried to go more downfield with the ball, Campbell gets hit or sacked. The OL has done a great job run blocking, but they're getting beat (or the schemes aren't leaving enough protection, or JC's holding on to the ball too much), but our passing game hasn't been consistent enough to get big plays into TDs.

Dude seriously you don't know what your talking about.

Look at the Giants, they play the exact same philosophy we do. The difference is, we get FGs and they get TDs.

It is about the redzone and execution. Plain and simple. Until we execute down there we will always have close games. But to say, it is time to focus on passing the ball, is an ignorant statement.

Your theory is partly correct...

Its mostly because our Defense is pretty stout especially our secondary, so most teams stick to the run... so while were productive running consistently we stick to that, combined with the fact our opponents run more effectively on our D, so they stick to running plays moreso than passing plays. So every drive in redskin games are longer than average, even 4-5 play drives will last like 5 minutes...

I'm guessing that you are trying to insinuate that Jason Campbell needs to go?

If so, please locate your exit on the right and proceed towards it.

No, not at all.....I think Campbell is a great QB. But we are so focused on making sure CP gets his touches we score 14 pts. a game.

With the age and health of our line they have just enough left in them to create a quick hole or hold their blocks for 1-2 seconds, but can't hold their blocks long enough to create a nice pocket to camp in? That's my guess. We really need to go lineman shopping this offseason.

It's a far cry from teams like the Niners from the 1980s. I remember it was nothing for them to have 4 or 5 play 75 yard TD drives that lasted 1:45.

Dude seriously you don't know what your talking about.

Look at the Giants, they play the exact same philosophy we do. The difference is, we get FGs and they get TDs.

It is about the redzone and execution. Plain and simple. Until we execute down there we will always have close games. But to say, it is time to focus on passing the ball, is an ignorant statement.

Uh, same philosophy huh? they split carries by three running backs. Manning has 18 td passes to JC 10. I think you are right about red zone execution, but it is because we force it to Clinton in the red zone and every team knows whats coming.

Uh, same philosophy huh? they split carries by three running backs. Manning has 18 td passes to JC 10. I think you are right about red zone execution, but it is because we force it to Clinton in the red zone and every team knows whats coming.

Splitting the rushing is basically irrelevant here. It's the attempts that is important. Roughly 333 of them between the backs. With Jacobs and Ward picking up the bulk of them. That's about 4 less attempts than they have at passing right now,(keying on Eli here). That's nearly 50/50. The Redskins,have 303 attempts at rushing. This is combining the attempts of 4 running backs. Jason has 340 attempts at passing right now. Little less than 50/50. Could be some similarity there after all.

Zorn decided to keep the majority of Gibbs' run-scheme in place. So the players are already familiar with it and succeeding, as they very well should. This is the first season with this brand new pass-offense. How successful is it suppose to be??

A valid and good point imho.

We are a top running team that kills clocks but doesn't convert drives into TDs. We have a defense that plays great but gives us poor field position. Notice how fast we score after the Landry pick.

We still don't have a legit Redzone target besides cooley

Even with a new coach we cannot seem to shake this clock killing offensive philosophy. Opposing teams can strike so quick these days the 80's clock killing Skins is due for a change.

"Points come out of the Passing Game" - Jaws. He's right. You have to run the ball, and stop the run, but points come out of the passing game.

The Pass Blocking is attrocious, the WR corps is very eh, minus Moss (until Kelly and Thomas step up, they get the "eh" comment" JC is in the first year of a system that takes a little time to master.

The points will come. I promise. Hopefully on Sunday.

Splitting the rushing is basically irrelevant here. It's the attempts that is important. Roughly 333 of them between the backs. With Jacobs and Ward picking up the bulk of them. That's about 4 less attempts than they have at passing right now,(keying on Eli here). That's nearly 50/50. The Redskins,have 303 attempts at rushing. This is combining the attempts of 4 running backs. Jason has 340 attempts at passing right now. Little less than 50/50. Could be some similarity there after all.

Keep in mind the majority of our passes basically being runs, with all the WR screens, dumpoffs. These are basically running plays. Not so sure NYG throws alot of that junk. Also, since when do the Giants have a west coast offense? Is that not our philosophy?

"Points come out of the Passing Game" - Jaws. He's right. You have to run the ball, and stop the run, but points come out of the passing game.

The Pass Blocking is attrocious, the WR corps is very eh, minus Moss (until Kelly and Thomas step up, they get the "eh" comment" JC is in the first year of a system that takes a little time to master.

The points will come. I promise. Hopefully on Sunday.

Great post, very true... never heard Jaws say that. We just dont get points from our passing game it has been years.

Well we aren't a big passing play team and the running game is our bread and butter

I know thats my point. We may be the best rush team in the league but where does that get us? Do we need to run it a little better? Our bread and butter is not translating to points.

I think the answer is this. If it is 1st and goal on the 5 yard line, there is no chance that we will pass on first down. And there is very little chance that we will pass on 2nd down. All the teams know this and are very effective against us in the redzone. I don't like Peyton Manning but I love to watch him play inside the 10. He wants to throw that TD and teams don't know what they will see. It could easily be a pass or run. Until we have that type of philosophy (and MK being involved will help), we will continue to settle for FG's.

Think about seeing a 4 reciever set on 1st and goal! With our big TE's, JC could easily rush for a TD himself. He could do it several times a year. We have the ability to be more than efficient near the goal.Heck, how about a wildcat formation with ARE under center! That would be scary.

I think the answer is this. If it is 1st and goal on the 5 yard line, there is no chance that we will pass on first down. And there is very little chance that we will pass on 2nd down. All the teams know this and are very effective against us in the redzone. I don't like Peyton Manning but I love to watch him play inside the 10. He wants to throw that TD and teams don't know what they will see. It could easily be a pass or run. Until we have that type of philosophy (and MK being involved will help), we will continue to settle for FG's.

Think about seeing a 4 reciever set on 1st and goal! With our big TE's, JC could easily rush for a TD himself. He could do it several times a year. We have the ability to be more than efficient near the goal.Heck, how about a wildcat formation with ARE under center! That would be scary.

2nd and goal on Seattle's 8 yard line:

Campbell, shotgun, empty backfield,..... over the middle, Randle El, Touchdown!!

U make a valid point but I believe once Zorn starts to gain more confidence in the pass-blocking ability of our o-line he will be MUCH more agressive, especially in the redzone.

yep, right on.....we dont give opposing teams different looks in the red zone. Look what haapened when we threw it to Sellers. He was wide open and scored.

Archived