• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

I'm there all the time. Can't believe I haven't seen all those.

He has a decent selection in the cooler(sierra nevada, heavy seas, lancaster, imports), most micros are warm on 2 rows of shelves. he has a nice Individual bottle selection(Trappists, Chimays, Delirium, Rogues etc) right next to the wine cooler.

He has a decent selection in the cooler(sierra nevada, heavy seas, lancaster, imports), most micros are warm on 2 rows of shelves. he has a nice Individual bottle selection(Trappists, Chimays, Delirium, Rogues etc) right next to the wine cooler.

How much would say, a small Chimay go for? It's $8.99 here :ols: Lemme know the address so I can pull a shopping spree on this place. :evilg:

Today's beer post-yard work, pre-game:

DSCN0779.JPG

Sweet malty at the start, a little flower hop finish, gorgeous copper color. Yay Magic Hat.

last night, i had Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Black Barleywine.

sierra%20nevada%20jack%20&%20ken%27s%20ale.jpg

congratulations to Sierra Nevada, both on the 30 years and on this fantastic brew. this stuff is very tasty, and remarkably well balanced for a barleywine. the pour yields a sticky, brown, aggressive head. the beer is not cloudy -- it's completely opaque. the smell is a pleasant blend of roasted caramel, hops, and alcohol. the taste is an excellent balance between the hops, sweets, and fermentation. all three are clearly present, but none are overpowering. it just tastes good. i looked forward to every sip. at over 10%, a single 750ml bottle put me in a great mood all night. grade: A+

Edited by greenspandan

Lancaster Milk Stout

Black with a brown hue. Mocha-colored head settles in to a strong ring around the glass. It's a good lookin' stout.

Aroma is cream (milk), roast, caramel and vanilla.

Taste is a lot of roastiness, surprising for a stout classified as "Sweet". The sweetness comes in with the creamy milk aspect of the brew. Coffee, vanilla, chocolate and caramel all have small roles in the flavor. Hops are in the background but you can find them.

Overall this beer is tuned low: taste, body, aroma...all pretty subtle. The mouthfeel is fairly silky, but personally I think it's real hard for a roasty beer to pull off a slender body. Carbonation picks up midway through the sip; thin, low-tuned mixtures aren't usually my thing. I'd love to see how this would turn out if they revved it up a bit.

That said, it's still a good beer, just didn't really come close to knocking my socks off.

B (83)

DSCN3404-300x225.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

i just bought a 6-pack of that lancaster milk stout. haven't tried it yet.

did try DFH's Punkin Ale last night. ehhhh a little too sweet and pumpkiny for me.

Whaaaaaat?

Beer in Frederick is cheaper than that.

In Htown.

Heavy Seas - 7.99

Victory Hop Devil - 7.99

Victory Hop Wallop and Golden Monkey - 10.99 (both are very good)

Hell, they sell a Victory 12 pack mixer for 15.99.

Stella - 12.99

Brooklyn Double Chocolate Stout - 6.99 for 4.

Dogfish Head - 7.99

Flying Dog - 6.99

Mad River - between 9 and 10 per 6'er. For some reason Jamaica Brand Red Ale is the most expensive.

If you ever need the address of this place let me

know. The owner doesn't mark up 6 packs, he takes the case price / 4 and puts it on the shelf.

Wow....it looks like he's selling Heavy Seas for less than what they charge at the brewery after tours. I'm guessing that the only Heavy Seas beers for $7.99 are the Gold Ale or Pale Ale. I can't imagine him selling a six pack of Loose Cannon, or Peg Leg for $7.99. If so, next time I'm within 10 miles of Hagerstown, I'm stopping in and stocking up!!!

Wow....it looks like he's selling Heavy Seas for less than what they charge at the brewery after tours. I'm guessing that the only Heavy Seas beers for $7.99 are the Gold Ale or Pale Ale. I can't imagine him selling a six pack of Loose Cannon, or Peg Leg for $7.99. If so, next time I'm within 10 miles of Hagerstown, I'm stopping in and stocking up!!!

I could be wrong, ill take a pic next time I am there.

Picked up a nice little mixed case tonight.

6 - Dogfish Head Raison D Etre

6 - Mad River Steel Head Double IPA

6- Sam Adams Cream Stout

6 - Peroni

$33.00

I'm not a huge fan of Malty beers, but the Raison De Etre is an excellent beer.

Looks like I'll be in Hagerstown today, will probably try to drop in to this place. I'm afraid buying craft beer for so cheap will stop be from getting it in Montgomery county again. :ols:

If I was in town today, I would have met you over there. Let me know how it goes.

Tried some of the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversay Imperial Helles Bock this past week. Solid Brew. I'm biased though because I dig almost every beer this company produces. Doing the State of California proud.

Edited by deejaydana

If I was in town today, I would have met you over there. Let me know how it goes.

Was a nice trip, takes about an hour to get there...pretty much worth it. Spent $25 on 7 beers. Prices are stunningly good. People were nice there, big place, and I'm satisfied with the selection. Finally get to try a lot of beers I've been dying to get my hands on.

First to mention is the Stone Russian Imperial Stout, which has been #1 on my to-get list for a while. The Choklat was probably #2...

(Right to Left) Victory Hop Devil IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Rogue Brutal Bitter, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Troegs Trogenator Double Bock (unlabled):

1009101818.jpg

Nice collection Double, I'm glad you had a chance to make it. I usually don't pick up 22 ouncers, I know the Youngs is 4.99, what are they getting for the Rogue and Southern Tier?

Nice collection Double, I'm glad you had a chance to make it. I usually don't pick up 22 ouncers, I know the Youngs is 4.99, what are they getting for the Rogue and Southern Tier?

Man I'm almost positive the Young's is $3.99 at that place. The Southern Tier 22oz bottle was $6.99, believe the Rouge was $5.99.

Had the Rogue Brutal Bitter and Troegenator last night. Rogue kicked my ass, so bitter it's literally salty. The look of the damn thing is intimidating. It just LOOKS sour as hell. Sour, bitter, salty...all in one. The Double Bock was very good. Both (A) grades. It's the Imperial Russian and Victory Hop Devil for tonight. :evil:

Oktoberfest at the Timonium Fairgrounds yesterday - had about 10oz of Duclaw's 21% abv Colossus. Probably about 6oz too many. Whew...

Stone Imperial Russian Stout

stone-imperial-russian-stout.jpg?w=170

Looks like motor oil coming out of the bottle. Black with a small tint of brown and a creamy milk chocolate colored head. This is obviously gonna be good.

Aroma is chocolate, cream and roast. It obviously has a good mix going on here, but it doesn't show its strength in the aroma.

Huge blast of malts. Chocolate is dominant initially, then coffee beans, and a sneaky burnt-roast which makes this beer bitter...especially on the aftertaste. Body is big, but not as huge as I like big stouts to be.

The gradual warming effect from the alcohol is awesome here. This beer asks to be had next to a warm fire in the dead of winter. Slow sip this puppy in a snifter or do what I do, pour 'bout 4oz in to a tulip glass at a time. This beer is class.

A (97)

Was a nice trip, takes about an hour to get there...pretty much worth it. Spent $25 on 7 beers. Prices are stunningly good. People were nice there, big place, and I'm satisfied with the selection. Finally get to try a lot of beers I've been dying to get my hands on.

First to mention is the Stone Russian Imperial Stout, which has been #1 on my to-get list for a while. The Choklat was probably #2...

(Right to Left) Victory Hop Devil IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Rogue Brutal Bitter, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Troegs Trogenator Double Bock (unlabled):

1009101818.jpg

Had teh Stone RIS a couple days ago. Bought a case when it came out a few months back. The Chokolat is one of my all time favorite top 5-25 beers (so many I'd rather not limit them).

But the real question here is, what kind of dog did you choose?

Does anyone know of a stout beer that isn't too terribly expensive, but still pretty easy to find?

If you're looking for an inexpensive but good stout, I would recommend either Sam Adams Cream Stout(sweete) or a Sierra Nevada Stout(a really good traditional stout).

Had teh Stone RIS a couple days ago. Bought a case when it came out a few months back. The Chokolat is one of my all time favorite top 5-25 beers (so many I'd rather not limit them).

But the real question here is, what kind of dog did you choose?

:ols: Funny that book gets caught in the picture, and not something that could make me seem slightly more educated. Next time I'll have to unconsciously (consciously) slip The Art of War in to the background.

I've saved the Choklat for tonight, had the Stone IRS immediately following the Skins game in celebration. The Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA is the appetizer tonight. Then I'm all out of crafties. Natty Bo gets the nod for tomorrow. :)