Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Dark Starr Stout was a little to smokey for me, tried it with some pulled pork BBQ and it was little better.

I'm not really drinking stouts right now, but my two favorites were Stoudts Fat Dog Stout and Lancaster Milk Stout.

Drinking a Siera Nevada IPA, picked up a 12 pack for $14.75 is a great deal for a solid brew.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

sierra-nevada-torpedo.jpg

Head has surprisingly large bubbles; it's spongy, holds strong. Chunky lacing. Dark orange brew.

Aroma is crystal malt (toffee) backbone with citrus and pine hops up front. Nice and sweet, just a little on the maltier side for a typical IPA aroma.

Taste is a strong wave of citrus and pine with a sweet, however feint toffee undertone. Body is medium, maybe a tad lower. Pretty active carbonation. The citrus and pine bitterness stays there the entire time, from the aroma to the aftertaste. Tails off very smoothly. A slight alcohol warming going on.

From what I've heard, I honestly expected something that would take me by surprise; however this will only tally as one of the better IPA's I've had. It's not something that will hit you from another angle, it's just, well, a really good IPA.

B (85)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Landed a job at Clipper City Brewery (Heavy Seas). Starting June 21st, I will be their keg line guy. :D
Well, it was a whirlwind 48 hours. Handed my resume off at 2:45 Wednesday and was offered a job at 4pm Friday. Lots of serendipity involved - like it was fate. I'm feeling pretty good right about now. :)

Congrats!!

I'm sure that I'll run into you during an event, or a tour. I've been through the tour so much that I can give it!

Just finished picking a dozen #1 males with my wife, they were dynomite. My choices of brew were Flying Dog Raging ***** IPA(one of my all time favortites and Loose Cannon). The Loose Cannon paired well with it's sweetness, but the Raging ***** was perfect match for the spicness of the crabs.

20070401_130108_2_honey_porter.4.jpg

Samuel Adams Honey Porter

Extremely dark brown with a tan puffy head, lacing is moderate for a porter.

Roasted malt and honey is prominent in the aroma, dark chocolate with a slight smokiness; coffee with cream.

Taste is dark chocolate and coffee with roasted malts and smoke all over the place. Honey is the overtone but it's not a "honey flavored beer" by any means; Burnt toast, burnt wood and charcoal all accent a jab of roasted malts. The problems are that this has a very quick finish, a pretty light body and a high carbonation

This beer is a good porter, and if its body and overall potency was tuned up it would be a hell of a beer. Don't let that make you shy away from it if you like beers with a lot of roasted malt. For $9 it's a very good six pack.

B- (80)

Landed some Trappistes Rochfort #10 today, and I had to revisit the #6 as well, also picked up a four pack of Young's Double Chocolate Stout in the nitro can, not tap but certainly worth the time.

BTW, does anyone know of any restaurant chains that serve a real Guinness on tap, and not the nitro-tap. One that practices the Guinness perfect pour would be appreciated. I know The Pub (London themed) does it, but ours is 45 minutes plus away and my wife doesn't like driving in the Lexington traffic, so a pint is out of the question.

Where'd you get the #10 from, ASF?

The Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY. They carry all three, and there has only been one time that I can remember that one was sold out on their shelves. It's funny because apparently the #6 is supposed to be the hardest to find, but I get it easily. They even carry a pint bottle of the #10 but it wasn't on the shelf yesterday.

You lucky SOB! How much does the #6 cost?

They're about $5.50 each for a 12oz. Not too bad considering you pay $5 for a Guinness at a restaurant.

As for being lucky, you bet, the beer garden there is really amazing, and whenever I want to try something new I go there. The store is grocery store sized, and the craft beer fills one side of a whole isle that's about 5 shelves high. Then there is the macro-cases in the middle of the isle and on the other side you have a healthy portion of Sam's selections with some other mid sized company brews (Corona, Dos Equis etc), not to mention a large regional brew selection. They've yet to let me down.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

They're about $5.50 each for a 12oz. Not too bad considering you pay $5 for a Guinness at a restaurant.

As for being lucky, you bet, the beer garden there is really amazing, and whenever I want to try something new I go there. The store is grocery store sized, and the craft beer fills one side of a whole isle that's about 5 shelves high. Then there is the macro-cases in the middle of the isle and on the other side you have a healthy portion of Sam's selections with some other mid sized company brews (Corona, Dos Equis etc), not to mention a large regional brew selection. They've yet to let me down.

Sweet man, I wonder if any stores around here will do a special order for me. I'm determined to try both soon, 6 and the 10. $5.50 is shocking for how rare the #6 is. Thought it'd be upwards of $15 like the Chimay. Perhaps we can work out a beer mail tradeoff if no stores will oblige. Want any Maryland beers for cheap?:D

I bought a 12 pack of regular ole Sierra Nevada Pale Ale yesterday and I've had it many times before, but now that I kind of get the gist of the craft scene, I must say it's pretty underwhelming. Hell, I think this is a borderline B-/C+ beer at best. It just doesn't have much body to it and it's really subdued. Yeah it's their basic stuff and it costs a ton because it's from across the country...but having said that it's completely overrated just going by taste alone. Just my opinion, though. Still highly drinkable and much better than anything macro.

I bought a 12 pack of regular ole Sierra Nevada Pale Ale yesterday and I've had it many times before, but now that I kind of get the gist of the craft scene, I must say it's pretty underwhelming. Hell, I think this is a borderline B-/C+ beer at best. It just doesn't have much body to it and it's really subdued. Yeah it's their basic stuff and it costs a ton because it's from across the country...but having said that it's completely overrated just going by taste alone. Just my opinion, though. Still highly drinkable and much better than anything macro.

Dude you're losing it, Sierra Nevada is the Godfather of Pale Ales in the US. I agree it's far from being the best, but it's also far from being over rated. We can only hope other great beers become as popular as Sierra Nevada has become, eventually driving down the price.

Sierra Nevada use to cost 9+ a six pack, and if I remember correctly was one of the more expensive beers on the shelf. You can get 12 for under 15 now, which is a awesome price for a very good brew.

What brewery do you guys think is the best of the best? A brewery that consistently puts out incredible beers one after the other. Seems like Stone is one of those breweries that just hits a home run almost every time, all while having a large selection to choose from.

Mad River (especially their Jamaica Brand Red Ale)

Smuttynose

On the more affordable side Ill go with Abita.

Dude you're losing it, Sierra Nevada is the Godfather of Pale Ales in the US. I agree it's far from being the best, but it's also far from being over rated. We can only hope other great beers become as popular as Sierra Nevada has become, eventually driving down the price.

Sierra Nevada use to cost 9+ a six pack, and if I remember correctly was one of the more expensive beers on the shelf. You can get 12 for under 15 now, which is a awesome price for a very good brew.

My favorite beer in the world is from Sierra Nevada, but the pale ale doesn't impress me. Perhaps I should start factoring in nostalgia towards my grading. As far as pure taste, it just doesn't impress me too much, sorry. I'd take most of Sierra's same-priced stuff over it any day. It's rated a 96 on Ratebeer.com...I mean give me a break. Ha, the Stone Levitation is rated the same score. :laugh: Ya, not overrated at all.