Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

It's my company as in I work there - not as in 'my' company. The beer is an over-hopped IPA coming in at 8% abv. If you like Loose Cannon - you'll love this. Though, I wish we would have kept it unfiltered. Especially since this is a one-off and I don't think anybody saved any from before the filtering process.

And, Skinsfan1311 is right - I am a cool dude. :)

Edited by rincewind

Can't wait to get my hands on the "Thank You" by Heavy Seas, thanks for the update Rince. Love limited edition brews.

Same here. I love Loose Cannon, so I can't wait to get a few bombers of this stuff. I hope it's better than "The Big DIPA", which, truthfully, I wasn't too crazy about. It could be that the bottle that I got was stored in the heat, or something. So far, my favorites from the Mutiny Fleet of beers have been the "Prosit" , "Yule Tide" and the "Siren Noire"

I guess you can count the "Below Decks", but I the stuff that I have is in 12 oz bottles from 2007 & 2008. Now it's only available in Bombers. I tried some of the 2010 right before Thanksgiving, but it was too sweet and malty for me. It'll probably be very good after it ages for a couple of years.

Didn't see the "Thank You Very Much" IPA at any of the stores tonight, made the local rounds. Picked up a bottle of the Below Decks instead. Love barleywines, very excited.

Below Decks ages very, very, very well.....I've got bottles going back to '07.....the '06 was the best, but I finished the last of those earlier this year.

Do yourself a favor. Buy a few of bottles of Below Decks. Open one now, and try it. Crack open another one in 6 - 9 months. The difference is amazing. Then...crack one open after a year or longer....un-friggin' believable. And this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of barleywines.

The other night, I went out on the back porch, sat in the hot tub, had a couple of bottles of the '07 and enjoyed them with a Macanudo Cru Royale. Doesn't get much better than that!

h...and I probably don't need to tell you this, but, in deference to the beer I feel I must; Below Decks is best served at around 50-55 degrees. At that temperature, you will get all the flavor profiles. Try to get your hands on some of the 12 oz bottles if you can.

Would love to age it man, but I've had my sights set on this for a while, gotta get this cap opened. Next time I think of my cellar, though, I'll consider adding this to it. Good info.

Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet Below Decks (Barley Wine)

BelowDecks-303_0.jpg

As I'm pouring this, cherry and strawberry aromas fill the air. The booze in the aroma is also apparent. Appearance is a dark brown with a rich red hue when put against a light. Fluffy, tan head settles in to a thin sheet, leaving behind a spotty lacing around the glass.

Malt aroma is chocolate and caramel. Also getting tropical fruits (strawberry, watermelon, cherries). Extremely small bitter hop bite, takes a good whiff to feel it. Strong aroma, could use a little more emphasis on the malts.

Malt flavors surprise me right away as having a milk chocolate flavor injected into the caramel. Saltiness and cough syrup are overall flavors that you have to look past to find the goodness of this beer. A tongue trained to find all the flavors in beers (not hard to learn) can really appreciate this one.

Hops are powerful here, the salty background compliments them well. Boozy as all-hell for 10%. Tastes and feels like there's hard whiskey in this. This beer can hit you from a lot of different angles within its flavor, and it seems to have been purposely made to highlight the alcohol content.

Carbonation is very lively and the body is hefty.

This seems like it was thrown together by a few mad beer-scientists laughing their asses off on a drunken Wednesday night. "Oh what the hell! Throw the chicken leg in there why don't ya!" It's a very interesting beer to start out, but quickly gets tough to drink. The salt-complex really takes over after a while, and I've never described a beer as having even the aroma of salt, much less the flavor.

B- (80)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Would love to age it man, but I've had my sights set on this for a while, gotta get this cap opened. Next time I think of my cellar, though, I'll consider adding this to it. Good info.

Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet Below Decks (Barley Wine)

BelowDecks-303_0.jpg

As I'm pouring this, cherry and strawberry aromas fill the air. The booze in the aroma is also apparent. Appearance is a dark brown with a rich red hue when put against a light. Fluffy, tan head settles in to a thin sheet, leaving behind a spotty lacing around the glass.

Malt aroma is chocolate and caramel. Also getting tropical fruits (strawberry, watermelon, cherries). Extremely small bitter hop bite, takes a good whiff to feel it. Strong aroma, could use a little more emphasis on the malts.

Malt flavors surprise me right away as having a milk chocolate flavor injected into the caramel. Saltiness and cough syrup are overall flavors that you have to look past to find the goodness of this beer. A tongue trained to find all the flavors in beers (not hard to learn) can really appreciate this one.

Hops are powerful here, the salty background compliments them well. Boozy as all-hell for 10%. Tastes and feels like there's hard whiskey in this. This beer can hit you from a lot of different angles within its flavor, and it seems to have been purposely made to highlight the alcohol content.

Carbonation is very lively and the body is hefty.

This seems like it was thrown together by a few mad beer-scientists laughing their asses off on a drunken Wednesday night. "Oh what the hell! Throw the chicken leg in there why don't ya!" It's a very interesting beer to start out, but quickly gets tough to drink. The salt-complex really takes over after a while, and I've never described a beer as having even the aroma of salt, much less the flavor.

B- (80)

Lay down a few bottles for a year, or so, and see how nicely they evolve. Just out of curiosity, what year did you sample? I don't ever recall having a Below Decks that was lively carbonated, except when I cracked open a new bottle of the '09.

I didn't care for the '06, '07 or '08 when right after they were bottled, but I loved 'em after laying them down for a couple of years. I just tried the 2010 at the brewery a couple of weeks agon. It is way too sweet for me. I'm going to pick up a couple of bombers, and just sit on them.

It was a 2010 bottle, I can imagine the beer settling nicely over time. May just pick one up and pack it away, because most of the beers in my cellar I already love. Would be a real testament to aging if I drank it a couple years down the road and loved it.

That's exactly what happened to me back in '06. I'm not a fan of the style and I tried a sample of it at the brewery and did not like it at all. I said as much to the brewerys founder, and managing partner, (Hugh Sisson).

He suggested that I do exactly as I suggested to you in my earlier post, (#1557). I was skeptical, but did it anyway.

I could not believe how much it changed, (evolved?), and for the better. I know that's supposed to work with wine, but that was my first experience with cellaring beer and seeing the results first-hand.

My only regret was not buying more. I've since learned and stock up every year, no matter what it tastes like when it's released. I wish that it was still bottled in 4-packs.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Guiness Foreign Extra Stout has recently FINALLY been shipped to the US. I've been wanting to try it for a long time now, and got my hands on a 4 pack this evening. I love normal guiness, and man, this takes it to another level. It goes down smooth as hell for a normal beer, nevermind that it's 7.5% abv.

Anyone else out there give it a try?

I bought a Starr Hill mixed 12 Pack over the weekend. It came with four beers: Dark Starr Stout, Northern Lights IPA, Starr Hill Winter Lager and Starr Hill Jomo Lager.

I only got to try the Northern Lights IPA:

df1810f7.jpg

and the Dark Starr Stout:

3781fa2a.jpg

(not my pics BTW)

The Dark Starr Stout was very good. Great stout flavor, very balanced and not overly heavy. I'd give it an A-/B+

The Northern Lights IPA was good too. I've been known as a hop head from time to time and I found the hopiness to be surprisingly strong. I've definitely had stronger more hoppy IPAs but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless. I'd give this one a solid B.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try the others tonight.

I didn't like the Dark Star Stout, but the Northern Lights IPA is cash. Picked up a six of the Celebration Fresh Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada tonight.

2010_Sierra%2BNevada_Celebration.jpg

Appearance: The size of the head on this thing rivals Tito Ortiz' domepiece. Giant bubbles, soapy, tan, really sticky lacing. Clear, thick, rich, bourbon-colored beer.

Aroma: Citrus hops are dominant, they don't seem like they'll taste heavily bitter. Pine and grass are also present. Very slight caramel; more toasty in the malt department.

Flavor/Body: Flavor is monstrous-bitterness (the aroma fooled me). It's up there in the elite category when it comes to heavy bitterness. Reminds me of the Rogue Brutal Bitter. A very dry beer, tongue-smackin' tart finish.

Summary: Tastes like a few yellow Sweet Tarts were busted down to powder and put in here. The fresh hops are just butt-kicking. Not much of a malt to speak of, everyone. If you are a big-time hop head, get this beer while it's still on the shelves. Period.

A (96)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Tonight, I drank:

Samichlaus - super high alcohol content....I thought it was pretty good, very strong, but a good flavor...kinda like what I would imagine a caramlized motor oil would taste like

Samichlaus%20Bier.JPG

Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale - Not as good as the summer ale to me...I like it, but I'm not in love with it.

Rogue Ale's Santa's Private Reserve - It's very hoppy. It has a sprucey flavor that reminds me of the green Crayola crayon

dsc01121.jpg?w=450&h=600

• 4 weeks later...

I only got to try the Northern Lights IPA:

The Northern Lights IPA was good too. I've been known as a hop head from time to time and I found the hopiness to be surprisingly strong. I've definitely had stronger more hoppy IPAs but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless. I'd give this one a solid B.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try the others tonight.

i'm a hop head. i think the northern lights is ok. my go to these days is actually sierra nevada torpedo. clean, dry, hoppy finish. not too malty or sweet. love it.

recently i picked up a sixer of this http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/beers/ipa.cfm . full sail IPA. i was impressed with it. not quite as hoppy as torpedo, but the clean finish i love. good stuff.

double- how was the sierra nevada 30th anniversary ale? i was talking into trying the bigfoot and i really like it;.