Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Still need a #2 WR

Chiefinonhaze

It seems as if we have been saying this for a few years now. It is unacceptable that we still dont have a wide reciever opposite of Moss. I think this is our biggest problem on offense, and has been our biggest problem for years now. Randel el is at best a # 3 wr...We got Lloyd for this purpose but he just didn't work out. I do not think our offense will get to the next level untill we find someone to line up opposite of moss. If Thomas or Kelly doesn't step up soon, then our offense will remain stagnant untill they do.

I would put ARE in the top 10 of #2 receivers.

Although he was brought here to be a slot receiver he's done well and is still doing well as the #2.

But don't ask about punt returns.:cheers:

A_RandleEl_070909_IA.jpg

We have two potential #2's. One of them spends his days doing this:

Peter_Knee_Avatar.gif

And the other one looks like he's playing a completely different sport most of the time. Will they improve? Yeah, probably. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to want to devote any further attention to our lack of a #2 WR, especially when you consider how atrocious our OL is. If we had a Joe Thomas or Steve Hutchinson on our team, we may not even be having this conversation right now.

It's not just last season dude, we have been saying this since 2004. We honestly have not had anyone to take pressure off of Moss since he has been here.

It hasn't been because of lack of effort, tho.

Randle El is miscast as a #2. We found that out last year. He really should be working in the slot. I think that's why Zorn has been so hot-to-trot to get Kelly out there, because that's the role he's supposed to be taking in this offense.

Randle El is miscast as a #2. We found that out last year. He really should be working in the slot. I think that's why Zorn has been so hot-to-trot to get Kelly out there, because that's the role he's supposed to be taking in this offense.

:yes:

The depth chart should look like this:

1. Moss (deep threat)

2. Kelly (big-bodied possession receiver)

3. ARE (slot)

4. Thomas (project)

5. Thrash (reliable veteran)

Instead, it looks like this:

1. Moss (deep threat)

2. ARE (neither fish nor fowl)

3. Cooley (big-bodied possession receiver)

4. Thrash (miscast veteran)

5. Thomas (just taking up space)

6. Kelly (IR'd in spirit)

1. Moss (deep threat)

3. ARE (slot)

4. Thomas (project)

Reverse the order with Thrash and Thomas and you get it right. Thrash is the veteran who can play all the positions and can come in to fill in at a moment's notice. Thomas is still learning Moss' position, which is where he's backing up for the time being.

He is a # 3 at best. The reason we are not productive is because he is not getting enough separation. He should be putting up good numbers with Moss and Cooley drawing double teams. A good # 2 would be able to excel in this offense IMO. We despearetly need a possesion reciever who can make those tough catches on third down. Randel el simply cannot do that. He is a servicable #2, but he would excel in the slot ala Wes Welker. If we want to get to the next level we need to move Randel el to the Slot.

When Zorn first was hired, he even said in his interview that Randel el is an amazing slot reciever. These were his intentions all along but he hasn't found a guy to be the # 2 yet.

What?? That is exactly what I just said. "He would excel in the slot" = "He is a great #3".

It does not make sense to say "He is a #3 at best" because that infers that he is hardly even capable of being a #3, let alone a #2.

He is not a "#3 at best" he is a great #3.

EDIT- Sorry I just realized your name is chiefinonhaze, you must have been high when you wrote that.

What?? That is exactly what I just said. "He would excel in the slot" = "He is a great #3".

It does not make sense to say "He is a #3 at best" because that infers that he is hardly even capable of being a #3, let alone a #2.

He is not a "#3 at best" he is a great #3.

EDIT- Sorry I just realized your name is chiefinonhaze, you must have been high when you wrote that.

haha yeah but you get the point....HE can definintly play number 2 but it is agreed we all would rather see him in the slot where he would be more effective. Randel el as 3rd Wr>>>>Randel el at 2nd Wr

It seems as if we have been saying this for a few years now. It is unacceptable that we still dont have a wide reciever opposite of Moss. I think this is our biggest problem on offense, and has been our biggest problem for years now. Randel el is at best a # 3 wr...We got Lloyd for this purpose but he just didn't work out. I do not think our offense will get to the next level untill we find someone to line up opposite of moss. If Thomas or Kelly doesn't step up soon, then our offense will remain stagnant untill they do.

:doh: Why are you guys bagging on ARE?

ARE is our biggest problem?

IMO ARE is certainly not the problem as the #2. Would he be a beast in the slot? No doubt. Would the offense be more explosive if another receiving threat emerged? Of course.

But, don't bag on ARE, he is getting the job done as the #2.

Seriously, can you name a better #2 receiver in the division?

Dude, there aren't that many #2 receivers in the league that are better then him.

:cheers:

haha yeah but you get the point....HE can definintly play number 2 but it is agreed we all would rather see him in the slot where he would be more effective. Randel el as 3rd Wr>>>>Randel el at 2nd Wr

Agreed. Honestly, I think he'd have more catches as a #3 than a #2 because he'd be working on slot CBs. He seems like a 45-catch guy as a #2 and a 60-catch guy as a #3.

:yes:

1. Moss (deep threat)

3. ARE (slot)

4. Thomas (project)

I can't wait to see that depth chart.

In the meantime I would really like to see the Cooley/Davis 2 TE set that Zorn has promised. They could do damage underneath, thereby bringing the safeties up and creating 1:1 opportunities down field.

Recnrik, you are indeed correct that drafting OL and DL is a fantastic idea from here on out, since we've been drafting at the skill positions for years, but you lost me with this:

Thomas and Kelly wont be on this team 3 years from now..we blow when it comes to drafting WR

I've always thought that drafting a WR in the early rounds was considered risky. This goes for any team, not just the Redskins. Furthermore, it's absurdly shortsighted of you to believe that both Kelly and Thomas will be such failures that we won't even bother to hold onto them. Torry Holt has a degenerative knee condition and he did alright...why not Kelly?

You people do not understand football at all, so I take that you have never played the game of football. DT and MK will be fine we have a new coach and a new off. let it all come together. It will take time for everyone to get on the same page. Put DT in the game and let him learn on the field, on the side line he will never get to truly understand how to be a WR, remember this is only his 2nd year at playing WR.

The big problem here is that the 2nd Wide Receiver position was not addressed properly in the offseason. The Skins' inablilty to acquire a Johnson, Boldin, or Williams has put the team in a precarious position with them having to rely on Kelly or someone from the practice squad to step up. I was actually for the Chad Johnson trade in the offseason and for the Roy Williams trade which just occured. Could you imagine Johnson/Williams on one side and Moss on the other while DT\MK\FD could use this year to learn? Instead everything is backwards and the Skins are on their knees praying that Kelly, a rookie can come in and help save the day. The Thomas supporters such as myself may as well come to the conclusion that he is not in the plans for this season.

Archived