Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lobby Now for the Redskins to play a home game in the UK 2009

bedlamVR

Hey, uppity UK guys, shut up. We're glad to have you guys standing beside us as fans, but don't dare pass judgement on the DC fan base because of what you saw at one game. Yeah, it sucked, but unfortunately that's what you deal with when you have a 90,000 seat stadium, people who have to work and sell tickets, and one of the strongest fan bases who are local coming to town.

I for one hope we never put our team at a disadvantage by making them fly to England to play a "home" game.

Surely the point is to get more people watching NFL? To make the sport more popular?

I know the Skins had a bad day at the office yesterday, but geez, some people on here really need to get a grip - British and American

First off, don't assume all British Skins' fans are like the some of the people on here.

I certainly wouldn't comment on a game I wasn't at. Besides, we can't talk - the same thing happens in England at footblal matches (sorry, soccer). Man United and Chelsea fans always get tickets in the home end of smaller clubs for away games. I was at an Orioles game against the Red Sox last year at Camden Yards that was basically a Boston home game.

It happens.

All that crap aside, I think it's worth debating the Skins playing in London, isn't it?

I'm English and have followed NFL for 20 years. Been a Skins fans since 1988. I'm, lucky that I've seen the Skins twice at Fed Ex the past two seasons, but a lot of British Skins fans haven't.

85,000 people have attended each of the two Wembley NFL games - and more and more people are getting addicted to what some Brits still call 'gridiron' :)

I know plenty of people who've got into the sport since watching the Dolphins v Giants last year. Don't you guys want more people to like NFL?

Surely this is a good thing?

As a soccer season ticket holder in England I appreciate that losing a home game sucks, because you don't get that many, but to dismiss the idea straight out seems a bit crazy to me. Besides, might give a few more of you American guys a reason to get a passport :)

And why don't Brits 'deserve' an NFL game? What kind of logic is that?

I personally think they're playing a game in the UK every year with the idea of making the NFL a true world league - I reckon they'll attempt to launch teams in England, Germany, Mexico and Canada in the next 10-20 years.

The NFL will want to take it global.

Besides, people in Britain always chuckle that the Superbowl winners are called the 'World Champions' :)

Surely the point is to get more people watching NFL? To make the sport more popular?

I know the Skins had a bad day at the office yesterday, but geez, some people on here really need to get a grip - British and American

First off, don't assume all British Skins' fans are like the some of the people on here.

I certainly wouldn't comment on a game I wasn't at. Besides, we can't talk - the same thing happens in England at footblal matches (sorry, soccer). Man United and Chelsea fans always get tickets in the home end of smaller clubs for away games. I was at an Orioles game against the Red Sox last year at Camden Yards that was basically a Boston home game.

It happens.

All that crap aside, I think it's worth debating the Skins playing in London, isn't it?

I'm English and have followed NFL for 20 years. Been a Skins fans since 1988. I'm, lucky that I've seen the Skins twice at Fed Ex the past two seasons, but a lot of British Skins fans haven't.

85,000 people have attended each of the two Wembley NFL games - and more and more people are getting addicted to what some Brits still call 'gridiron' :)

I know plenty of people who've got into the sport since watching the Dolphins v Giants last year. Don't you guys want more people to like NFL?

Surely this is a good thing?

As a soccer season ticket holder in England I appreciate that losing a home game sucks, because you don't get that many, but to dismiss the idea straight out seems a bit crazy to me. Besides, might give a few more of you American guys a reason to get a passport :)

And why don't Brits 'deserve' an NFL game? What kind of logic is that?

I personally think they're playing a game in the UK every year with the idea of making the NFL a true world league - I reckon they'll attempt to launch teams in England, Germany, Mexico and Canada in the next 10-20 years.

The NFL will want to take it global.

Besides, people in Britain always chuckle that the Superbowl winners are called the 'World Champions' :)

I think the NFL playing a game in England every year is a great idea, unless the Skins are one of the two teams. Selfishly, I don't want to give up a home game (if it were to be one), and more importantly I don't want to disrupt our team's rhythm by flying so far away and playing in a foreign country in the middle of the season.

I understand that your comments (the Brits) weren't made in malice, but...how dare you call out the FedEx Field fans. First of all, it's not like there were more Steeler fans than Skins fans. I do agree that the people that sold their tickets should be ashamed today, but let's get real. You think that the UK (or any other place for that matter) would support the Redskins better than Washington DC? Give me a fcuking break! And it's like that everywhere the Steelers play; they played in Jacksonville a few weeks ago and it was the same thing. Not to mention that the Redskins travel well also. Nevertheless, if you want to see the Redskins play in person, either take a vacation over here, or move here.

Quoted for truth. That was flat out embarassing terrible towels EVERYWHERE! I bet you Stub Hub made a nice killing off of the re-sale of tickets last week or 2.

There were a lot (too many) of them, but Riggo made a good point on the post game show...they show bigger than they are. I'd put the Steelers attendance at 15k last night (based upon my observations from 226). That pales in comparison to the Skins fans if you think about it. As for their players asking for noise on 3rd downs, that's offensive. I'm sorry, but when you're the road team you don't go into someone else's place and pull that stunt, even if you do have support. I generally root for the Steelers (when they're not playing us), and I don't think it was all of them, or that their organization stands for showing up other teams, but they need to train their players in proper decorum.

I think the NFL playing a game in England every year is a great idea, unless the Skins are one of the two teams. Selfishly, I don't want to give up a home game (if it were to be one), and more importantly I don't want to disrupt our team's rhythm by flying so far away and playing in a foreign country in the middle of the season.

I'll admit to being a hypocrite. I'd be a bit miffed if my soccer team played a game overseas (although we get 20+ home games a season in the lower leagues), but as an NFL fan I've enjoyed every second of my two trips to Wembley over the past year. Talk is already rife amongst NFL fans in the UK who we want at Wembley next year and I will admit to being selfish and wanting to see the Skins. If it's a Skins' away game it suits us all, I guess :)

In the UK the Football Association proposed what was called a '39th game' (teams in the top division, the Premiership, play 38 games) - where there would be an extra weekend of games somewhere crazy like Hong Kong or Thailand for all Premiership teams.

It was ridiculed by the fans and press and dropped

I was watching the Redskins game on Channel 5 last night t 4-30am in the morning and the team looked tired and flat hurting for their bye week . But there was something that bothered me .

I was impressed with some aspects and disappointed with others, I thought the players made a game of it but the Steelers D was as billed .

The thing that pissed me off the most is the "FANS" . They were out of the game after the blocked punt . And it is a trend we see week in week out . I think the reason no one rates the Redskins/Cowboys rivaly any more is nothing to do with the players but the fans . We don't have any . Every year you watch the NFCE home games at FedEX and it is a sea of green or blue or silver . And we have had success in the recent past . It is not like we are 1-7 . Our fans who attend the games are the worst in the NFL .

The question was raised in the coverage given the sucsess of the Chargers/Saints and the Dolphins/Giants game who would they like to see in the UK in 2009 .

I say the Redskins . At least then they might know what it is like to have a "home" crowd behind them .

Keep watching soccer bud (by the way you don't earn the name football when you fake injuries in order to get penalties and cry when you get hit)

I don't think the UK crowd can handle it

Why would anyone chuckle? There is no other football league to rival the NFL. If you are talking baseball, basketball, hockey or soccer, then yeah, it would be foolish for anyone in those leagues to call themselves world champions. But aside from a puny league here and there in Japan and Germany, no one rivals the NFL, so they deserve the World Champions moniker for now.

I dont want to see them give up a home game either .... not that i goto them, but a home game is a big deal for the team (or supposed to be)

I would vote not due to travel times and the loss of a home field advantage (though we could do with fewer opposing fans at our home games)

you keep your soccer, i will keep our football ;- >

I think it is a bit over the top to critisise Redskins fans at Fed Ex field. Usually when I watch the Skins games on television or internet the place seems to be rocking. Also the atmosphere at some English Premier League grounds is rubbish.

I enjoyed the game at Wembley last week but could not really let myself go when it came to making some noise. I kept imagining what it would be like if the Redskins were playing and I how differently I would have acted.

I can totally understand the feeling on here giving up a home game and I am torn between wanting the Redskins to play in England so I can watch them now. Or waiting until the kids have grown up and I can visit Washington and watch my first ever skins game in the US. To me going to a Redskins game in the US is on my list of things to do before I die.

Whatever your views please understand that we only want the Redskins in England because we are fans of this great organisation.

Yeah..........NO.

I don't want our guys to have to travel that long during the season and deal with jet lag, etc. That takes a while to get used to, especially on the return home. Personally, I think it's a bad idea for any elite level athletes having to travel that distance during the football season.

This overseas deal is a money-maker for the owners I guess, but I don't think it's in the best interest of the athletes.

Archived