Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Minorities strongly encouraged to apply"

WVUforREDSKINS

Right now I have an internship at the Center for Responsive Politics as a researcher. http://www.opensecrets.org/

Anyway, I am not sure if they are going to offer the position to me when I am finished with the internship (I suspect they probably will and I would accept) so I have been keeping my eyes open for a job incase this internship is just that.

I noticed a lot of jobs I wanted to apply for had "minorities strongly encouraged to apply." Honestly, to me that basically says we are not looking to hire a white person. I still applied for several of these jobs, but I got to say I don't expect to hear from them. It is discouraging to read that as I feel I don't have much of a shot at the position.

I guess what I am wondering is am I just wasting my time applying to these jobs?

I'd be willing to bet you get plenty of responses. It sounds to me like the companies that placed the ads are trying to attract minorities. However that doesn't in any way mean they'd turn away other candidates.

However, just humor me and try a bit of an experiment. Take your very same resume and change the name at the top from "Your name" to "Raquan Jackson". Send it out and see how many responses you get. I have $10 that says you get more responses with your real name from the companies with the "Minorities strongly encouraged to apply" line in their ads than you do from the others sent out with the name "Raquan Jackson"...no matter what the ads say.

Seriously, give it a try and let us know the results.

I'd be willing to bet you get plenty of responses. It sounds to me like the companies that placed the ads are trying to attract minorities. However that doesn't in any way mean they'd turn away other candidates.

However, just humor me and try a bit of an experiment. Take your very same resume and change the name at the top from "Your name" to "Raquan Jackson". Send it out and see how many responses you get. I have $10 that says you get more responses with your real name from the companies with the "Minorities strongly encouraged to apply" line in their ads than you do from the others sent out with the name "Raquan Jackson"...no matter what the ads say.

I'm thinking "Dashiqee Jackson" It would be an interesting study.

let's be fair here, also try cleetus thomas.

Archived