Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MNF Questions

jlindsey84

1st Time poster, But we are heading to my first MNF game coming from richmond virginia and i was wondering if anyone had any useful knowledge on how much longer the travel would be coming and going. I dont want to hit the beltway at a bad time. its already about a 2 hour drive there and a 3 hour drive back.

1st Time poster, But we are heading to my first MNF game coming from richmond virginia and i was wondering if anyone had any useful knowledge on how much longer the travel would be coming and going. I dont want to hit the beltway at a bad time. its already about a 2 hour drive there and a 3 hour drive back.

do NOT be anywhere near the beltway after about 3 o'clock. I would suggest if at all possible to be in line at one of the entrances by 2:30 at the latest. It is going to get ugly and I want no parts of it. I'm leaving my house at 11am to be in line by 1..... Best advice I can offer ya.....

as far as getting home.... don't be in a hurry, be patient!

Oh..... and Welcome to ES!!!!

welcome to ES. Being in Richmond as well as going to the game I will give you this advice... get to the stadium BY 3pm. If that is not possibler per your schedule, take 301N to 50 west to get to the stadium, that will make sure that you do not sit in any traffic. Going home should not be as bad as long as you can get out of the parking lots quickly.

I was looking at a map and found rt. 301 not 310, is that what you meant?

Here's the deal.

If you take 95 north up to the beltway, you are in trouble. The Wilson Bridge is clogged EVERY day from 3PM to 7PM. So don't go that way.

Take 95 north to exit 104 (towards Bolling Green/Fort AP Hill). It's the exit after Kings Dominion.

Follow that road straight up (eventually it turns into 301) and you will make it to Maryland (it's about a 45 minute drive from the exit off of 95 to the Harry Nice Bridge which takes you into Maryland) (You are now about an hour from the stadium)

From this point, you will travel North up 301 through LaPlata then Waldorf.

Once you pass Waldorf you will enter PG County. Two ways to go. As suggested above, you can stay on 301 until route 50 (more miles)

Or you can take 301, merge left onto Route 5 (it's freeway)and drive that up to the beltway. If you are there anywhere before 2 hours of the kickoff you won't have any traffic on this route all the way to Arena Drive. Arena Drive will start backing up around 630PM.

ETA: You can go home 495 to 95 (traffic from the game going south usually isn't too bad. You can cruise the 15 miles to VA between 30 and 40 mph.)

lol. Your best bet is to get the hell out of Richmond by 1pm. Take 95 north and get off at the Ruther Glen exit (exit 104) where the Petro Truckstop is at (route 207 north) and follow that all the way to Bowling Green, which turns into 301 north.

That runs you through Fort A.P.Hill and you just follow that all the way to Maryland where you will cross the Harry Nice Bridge. Stay on 301 north thru Waldorf.

After you get through Waldorf, you'll come to the 301 and route 5 split. Stay on 301 and follow through Upper Marlboro, past the Weigh station, to the Central Ave. exit.

Go west on Central Ave. to the Stadium.

Going this way will keep you off the Beltway, with a lot less traffic and you can leave a little later than if you went 95 all the way up.

I used to drive tractor trailer for a living so I know all the little short cuts.

Have fun and good luck!

:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu

i guess, i have only made the drive once myself and i took 95 up to the beltway, but i am not going to be able to leave until around 2 or 3 so its not looking too good.

Not to scare you but...

If you leave Richmond at 3PM, you'll get to Springfield (where the beltway starts) around 4:30PM

It will then take you around 30 minutes from Springfield to MD. (Traffic on the Wilson Bridge)

From the Wilson Bridge, you have 15 to 20 minutes to get to the stadium.

It may take you 2.5 hours to get there but you would still be there before 6 which is perfect.

My experience from working at our Triangle location is to be on the road by at least 2:30pm from Triangle. The slow down is going to be at the mixing bowl area. I take 95N.

Merge onto I-95 N (Passing through DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, then crossing into MARYLAND).

115.8 mi

9: Merge onto MD-202 W/ LANDOVER RD via EXIT 17B toward BLADENSBURG.

0.8 mi

10: Turn LEFT onto BRIGHTSEAT RD.

0.3 mi

11: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto REDSKINS RD.

0.4 mi

12: End at 1600 Fedex Way Landover, MD 20785-4534

So you better hit the road no later then 1 pm.

By you taking Rt 301 you are saving about 5 miles. I rather take 95N as it would be faster. (well at least the way I drive :))

I always take 301 when I head towards Richmond out of habit. My grandmother lives off that road. Its a nice drive but you will hit traffic when you get to Waldorf so be prepared for that (I know some back roads to avoid that but it would be too hard to give you directions). Its still a much nicer drive than 95 at that time.

Here's the deal.

If you take 95 north up to the beltway, you are in trouble. The Wilson Bridge is clogged EVERY day from 3PM to 7PM. So don't go that way.

Take 95 north to exit 104 (towards Bolling Green/Fort AP Hill). It's the exit after Kings Dominion.

Follow that road straight up (eventually it turns into 301) and you will make it to Maryland (it's about a 45 minute drive from the exit off of 95 to the Harry Nice Bridge which takes you into Maryland) (You are now about an hour from the stadium)

Once you pass Waldorf you will enter PG County. Two ways to go. As suggested above, you can stay on 301 until route 50 (more miles)

Or you can take 301, merge left onto Route 5 (it's freeway)and drive that up to the beltway. If you are there anywhere before 2 hours of the kickoff you won't have any traffic on this route all the way to Arena Drive. Arena Drive will start backing up around 630PM.

ETA: You can go home 495 to 95 (traffic from the game going south usually isn't too bad. You can cruise the 15 miles to VA between 30 and 40 mph.)

This is what I was talking about. going home is not the issue. If you can not leave the RIC till 2 or 3, you will definatly want to take the 301 route. it will make your life so much better. Waldorf could be a little crazy since there are so many traffic lights but outside of that, it should be smooth sailing.

HAIL!:point2sky

When i used to goto school in richmond, we always took 301N. Logic makes you think that hitting the direct shot to 395 makes sense, but traffic rarely makes sense.

Trust me on this. Though 301 is more mileage, it will take less time than going through 95, rte 50, and wait for gameday traffic on TOP of rush hour.

Here's the deal.

What he said. The only change I would make is to take route 50 until you get to route 202. Go east on 202 about 3-5 miles. If you don't have a parking pass you can turn right at Barlowe Road (the last light before the stadium, at the bottom of a hill). As soon as you turn right, you’ll see someone with a flag standing on the LEFT hand side of the road. You’ll turn LEFT and follow the road up to where you pay to park. You’ll see the stadium. It’s about a 30 minute walk from the parking lot to the stadium.

And when you leave, just take 202 back (west) to the BW Parkway (towards DC). Follow this until you hit the Beltway. Take that to 95 South. You bypass most of the stadium traffic by going this way to get home.

I am going by 66 west of DC, we always use the beltway and it's always back up on Sundays, I can only imagine what it will be on a weekday night. Any help coming in from west of DC?

You'll have traffic either way.

Forget about Montgomery County. HORRIBLE the whole drive so the north is out.

You could try to take 66 into the city, hit 395 take that to 295 then to 50 but that route sucks too.

Going around to the Wilson Bridge, if you can hit it by 4 PM, you'd be the best off. But if you are hitting it at 5, it can be backed up to the mixing bowl. The good news is that once you get past the bridge there's little traffic to the stadium.

If you aren't taking metro, I'd go the south route but you'd have to be trying to make the stadium by 5pm at the latest.

So from Manassas, if you left at 3, you'd get to the stadium by 4 or 415. If you left Manassas at 4, you'd be pushing 6 to 630.

lol. Your best bet is to get the hell out of Richmond by 1pm. Take 95 north and get off at the Ruther Glen exit (exit 104) where the Petro Truckstop is at (route 207 north) and follow that all the way to Bowling Green, which turns into 301 north.

That runs you through Fort A.P.Hill and you just follow that all the way to Maryland where you will cross the Harry Nice Bridge. Stay on 301 north thru Waldorf.

After you get through Waldorf, you'll come to the 301 and route 5 split. Stay on 301 and follow through Upper Marlboro, past the Weigh station, to the Central Ave. exit.

Go west on Central Ave. to the Stadium.

Going this way will keep you off the Beltway, with a lot less traffic and you can leave a little later than if you went 95 all the way up.

I used to drive tractor trailer for a living so I know all the little short cuts.

Have fun and good luck!

:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu:steelersu

>> I used to live in Richmond and would go this way when I did not have to pickup my brother in NOVA. Coming home it is six of one, half dozen of the other vs. the beltway, but the Nice bridge is free going north and $3 coming south (plus you might not to be driving across that bridge at 1:30 AM.....narrow, 2 lanes, no shoulder).

Archived