Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Singletary says there is cancer on every team.

KokoMike

I have a feeling that the Redskins team doesn't have this cancer problem that Singletary says exists on every team.

Here is the transcript from Singletary's interview in part on the subject of Vernon Davis. He did say later that Davis is not the cancer on the team.

-Q: There was a report that when you spoke to the team yesterday you mentioned that there were cancers on this roster. Do you think there are cancers?

-SINGLETARY: I think every team in the NFL has some guys on the team that may not be going in the same direction as the team is trying to go. And it’s just a matter of how much of a role those guys play on that team.

Are they guys that are starters? Are there main role guys? Are they guys that aren’t or have a particular role on the team?

Every team has them, but it’s how you deal with them. It’s how mature your team is, if you’re able to deal with those guys. it’s how your leaders on that team respond to them. Sometimes it’s not a big deal, you just shut them down. You know them well enough and you just say, ‘Hey, you know what? That’s enough.’

Otherwise, those guys will continue to eat at your team until they eat at the very soul of the team.

Well it's pretty obvious. There's no way 53 different individuals can all get along in ANY organization.

Yeah, but even then, its not like we got a guy who doesn't give 100% (a la Vernon), doesn't trash the team (a la T.O.) nor trashes the coach (see trash the team and Barber, Tiki)

Exactly. And have them together on planes/buses/in hotels/practicing together and "friction" in inevitable.

No doubt, friction is inevitable, I'm sure there are guys on our team who don't particularly care for another guy or so.

But they don't make it public nor make it a detriment (so far as we know)

Here I was, thinking that football was really just a kids game, and the NFL was populated with a bunch of grown up kids running around, chasing an odd shaped ball, all for our entertainment.

I didn't realize my soul could get eaten.

If you ever find yourself even remotely close to Rosie O'Donnell, a lot more than just your soul will be eaten...

It's probably Shawn Springs.

That or Malcolm Kelly, because his statement is vague enough to include injury prone players.

I think every team in the NFL has some guys on the team that may not be going in the same direction as the team is trying to go. And it’s just a matter of how much of a role those guys play on that team.

Singletary is right up to a point.

Some guys are cancers and some guys just lack the professionalism and maturity necessary for their job.

If things are going well the stress and strain will diminish. If things are going poorly the problems become magnified. It takes a strong coaching staff and united effort to stop big problems developing on losing teams.

I wanted Singletary as coach, but I think he might be a little crazy. lol

I was interested in him as well but feel a coach like him is really only effective if they have control over personnel.. they need the time to stack a team with guys who buy into their philosophy, which is the minority in this age of the coddled, spoiled, thin-skinned athlete..

I think Singletary is telling the truth. I think people have to keep in mind the cancer doesn't have to be a starter or even get significant playing time. All you need a cool guy that a good number of people like/respect who frequently undermines the coaches. This could be a rah-rah guy who is constantly gassing up a player(s) to believe there is some conspiracy against him from being a star.

Archived