Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TV BLACKOUT for Skins @ Lions. Will the game be on DirecTV?!?

Cannon2

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/its_official_the_blackout_stre.html

I did a search and didn't see a thread about this. I was just being an insomniac and thinking how bad the state of affairs is in Detroit right now and thought to myself "how is Detroit going to sell out this game?" Sure enough this will be the first blackout in the Detroit area since 2001 and the first in their new stadium.

I nearly had a heart attack thinking that the game would not be shown on DirecTV Sunday ticket but I believe the blackout only applies to the local Detroit area market. Can anyone please confirm this for me? I havent missed a play of a Redskins game since I was about 13 years old...I dont plan on letting that streak die tomorrow while we thump the Lions. If it is blacked out on DTV I will need to make immediate emergency plans.

Hail!

The NFL's way of trying to force Detroit Lions fans to attend the game if they want to watch it. :lionsuck:

HTTR

Heck, we should have gotten a coalition of ESers to buy a bunch of tickets and road trip it to Detroit. Heck, we could have had "FedEx North". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Heck, we should have gotten a coalition of ESers to buy a bunch of tickets and road trip it to Detroit. Heck, we could have had "FedEx North". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I admire your spirit, but have you been to Detroit lately? Classy hockey fans to be sure, but they've enjoyed more than a modicum of success over the last 15-20 years. No, the stink of failure has permeated the Lions franchise to the point where even Saints fans can't remember the last time Detroit was decent in consecutive seasons.

While I'm sure the game day atmosphere doesn't approach the bitterness of a certain NFC East rival (who also has no Lombardi's), I certainly wouldn't tempt fate by buying up huge blocks of tickets and

rubbing it in their faces. I'm quite sure the blackout is enough of a message to ownership that a complete sea change is in order.

Hail. :logo:

Can I ask what the point is of blacking out a game anyways? What purpose does it serve?

With Direct TV taking over these days, they will blackout Sunday Ticket games because that game will air on your local stations carried on Direct. I run into it all the time. I am lucky because I live in Skins country so I know that the game will either be on one of the local channels.

It is not just Detroit, it is ANY NFL team that does not sell out their stadium 72 hours before each game.

This is very true. Only about half the teams have waiting lists, with the Redskins being number 1.

Several times a season, since 2000, the Jags games are blacked out locally. They've tried everything including covering up seats. Clearly, economics is a factor but, in the case of newer teams like Jacksonville, most residents were fans of other teams before the Jags got here.

it encourages people to go to the games, because they know if the game isn't sold out they can't watch it on tv at home. Its also serves as punishment when a game doesn't sell out.

True. I'm a Skins fan living in the Detroit black out range (Ypsilanti), but I am going to the game. Even Directv has it blacked out.

I was told by Directv that with the superfan package you can pick one team they will never blackout on your system. I picked the Redskins right there even though I don't need to worry about them being blacked out in Montana. And now any Sunday ticket info I get in the mail has Redskins' logos and their schedule.

Just some info, hope if helps someone at sometime.

How about the other DirecTV customers, living in Baltimore area? I live in Anne Arundel, and according to my guide right now, I am not going to get the game. They have the Ravens at 1:00 and Pittsburgh / Giants at 4:00, but the Fox station shows the Tim McCarver show at 1:00 instead of the skins. What gives? Might need to call DirecTV and change my "service address" again

How about the other DirecTV customers, living in Baltimore area? I live in Anne Arundel, and according to my guide right now, I am not going to get the game. They have the Ravens at 1:00 and Pittsburgh / Giants at 4:00, but the Fox station shows the Tim McCarver show at 1:00 instead of the skins. What gives? Might need to call DirecTV and change my "service address" again

The reason for that ... when the market team is at home on the non-doubleheader network, the DH network is limited to a single game. Had the Rat Birds not sold out, then it would be a toss up as to what to air.

Now if today had been CBS's doubleheader (as was the case in Week 5), then secondary market rules should have kicked in and forced Balto-Fox to air our road game. At least that's what should have happened in Week 5 up there, as it did for us down here in Week 6 ... (I have not received an answer from the NFL with regard to my query)

cheers

Archived