Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets trade 2 #1's

jbooma

Who do you NOT want the Giants to draft?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you NOT want the Giants to draft?

• Kelly Washington
    • Jerome McDougle
    • Andre Woolfolk
    • Troy Polamalu

NavyDave,

Dam looking at it that way, it looks much worse now. They better hope WHOMEVER they draft is going to be an allstar every year. With all the holes they have thanks to the skins, this player better be worth it.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

I don't ynderstand this ar all. I beleive they want Roberson but Joseph may have been their and they could have added a guard to repalce Thomas

Mel Kiper just said the Jets want Robertson. Andre vJohnson if the Texans or someone else take Robertson at #3.

the Jets moving up to #4 using their other two #1 picks is NOT like the Redskins moving up in 2000 to grab Chris Samuels..........

Samuels was the best LT prospect to come out since Pace 6 or 7 years earlier.

None of the guys this year are rated that highly compared to players in other years.

It was a poor draft to move up in. It was a much better draft to accummulate #2 and #3 picks because those players are going to be much cheaper to sign and may turn out to be just as good as players taken in the middle to end of the first round.

Why pay extra? :)

Originally posted by Bush League Bufford

http://forums.theganggreen.com/index.php?act=SF&f=1

The fans are starting to this its a bad idea.

Check this site if you're looking for the pulse of Jets fans:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=2

Thanks boys. #22 was absolute no man's land. Half the guys available there are virtually indistinguishable from any of the second rounders. Tomorrow, we'll welcome the best defensive player in the 2003 draft with open arms.

This certainly confirms that Bradway and the Jets were stung by the offseason and are attempting to make a splash to compensate for how badly they've been outplayed by the Redskins. While it is certainly nice to consider the player they may get now, the fact is, they have entered panic mode. If they end up with Johnson for the same money they didn't pay Coles, they are going to be a joke this year :).

Originally posted by Art

This certainly confirms that Bradway and the Jets were stung by the offseason and are attempting to make a splash to compensate for how badly they've been outplayed by the Redskins. While it is certainly nice to consider the player they may get now, the fact is, they have entered panic mode.

Sure, either that or they weren't thrilled with #13 and #22 and have instead earmarked a can't-miss, game-changing, dominant, perennial Pro Bowler who will be wearing green & white for some time.

Simply a matter of perspective.

Flowtrain you might be right but,

This means that the Jets traded away Coles and the #22 for a DT.

That is a terrible deal, since they now have to pay the #4 similar money to what they would have to pay Coles. Then how will they resign their big 2? They still have all the holes thanks to the Skins. What happens if Roberston is another Courtney Brown?

The bears win out since now they will take Bailey and Mcgahee :)

Originally posted by THiTo11

why on earth you'd trade up (giving up 2 1st rounders) in a draft OVERLOADED with DT's, to draft a DT, is BEYOND me

Have you been breaking down your Kentucky and Georgia game tapes and confirmed that there's not much difference between Robertson and Sullivan?

The fact that the draft is overloaded at DT only further solidifies the prospects of success for THE BEST DT of that crop.

Sure, either that or they weren't thrilled with #13 and #22 and have instead earmarked a can't-miss, game-changing, dominant, perennial Pro Bowler who will be wearing green & white for some time.

Flow? Always just brimming with optimism aren't we?

Can't miss? Here are some top 4 picks from the past 10 years who did:

Quentin Coryatt, Desmond Howard, Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Darrell Russell, Ryan Leaf, Andre Wadsworth, Akili Smith, Peter Warrick, Courtney Brown

Shall I go on?

Originally posted by Flowtrain

Have you been breaking down your Kentucky and Georgia game tapes and confirmed that there's not much difference between Robertson and Sullivan?

The fact that the draft is overloaded at DT only further solidifies the prospects of success for THE BEST DT of that crop.

did you break down your game tapes of Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning in 1998?

the draft is so full of DT's, it's stupid to trade UP to draft one

who's to say Sullivan won't be better than Robertson?

it was a bad trade

As I mentioned, that #22 pick was in no man's land.

Since people love to use those stat-based value charts to assess trades, let's take a look at this:

A defensive player drafted in the top 10 has an 80% better chance of making the Pro Bowl than one drafted 11-20.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/firstroundbreakdown.html

i don't use stat-based anything

stats are misleading

trading up in DT loaded draft to draft a DT is stupid

no way you can say otherwise

and genius, that #22 pick was a 1st round player who could have made an impact this year... are you saying you are one player away from the Big Dance? get real man, you lost Coles and an additional starter for what? an unproven DT? smart...

It's a bad trade today. It might be a better trade if it were made tomorrow. What if the guy the Jet's really want is taken at two or three? Then they have to scramble to trade down or taken their second choice at four. Better to wait and know for sure if your man is there, no? It's also bad because I recall Bradway saying that part of the reason he was so willing to let Coles go was that there were 13 really top echelon guys and now he was certaint to get one. Well, the trade diminishes the Coles trade because as others said, it may well be a trade for Coles and #22 for the Jets second choice. The other question you have to ask is yourself, if it is their second choice and that turns out to be Johnson... Would you be excited if Bradway traded this year's number 1 and Coles for the rights to a rookie receiver.

As I mentioned, that #22 pick was in no man's land.

Since people love to use those stat-based value charts to assess trades, let's take a look at this:

A defensive player drafted in the top 10 has an 80% better chance of making the Pro Bowl than one drafted 11-20.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/firstroundbreakdown.html

These stats looked messsed up. In the brief, it says 45.2% of the 1-10 picks made the probowl, but lower in the table, the figure is calculated at 38.9%. This alters your 80% to 48%, which may not be worth it when you factor in the huge contract of a top-10 pick, the fact that this is a draft loaded with quality DL, and the additional 1st rounder that you lost.

Flow,

The jets also traded a conditional pick as well, so now we have Coles, #22 and a conditional pick for #4

That is just bad, they could have gotten a decent DT at 13 and then a WR at 22. You just lost the division to the Dolphins or Patriots now, hell Buffalo might be better than the jets next year.

I hate to break it to you, but the Jets are not 1 player away from the superbowl, now maybe about 4. Your GM is an idiot, plain and simple. It shocks me to say this but Synder is a better GM than Bradway so far this year.

Everyone in your division has gotten better except you. New England still has 2#1's and might trade up to Houston to take the guy you want.

I think this is a great trade for the Jets if they take DeWayne Robertson. Hes going to be much much better than any DT that would have been there at 13 or 22, The difference between the #1 DT and the #4 DT is huge. Its also pretty big between #1 and #2 and #3. DeWayne Robertson is going to be a DT that demands double teams every play. This will really help all their pass rushing DEs. They already have a good DT in Ferguson. That Dline would have the potential to be great. My only problem with this trade is financially, I dont see what the Jets are thinking. It seemed as if they didnt have much money to spend and they were worried about being able to resign Abraham and Pennington. Now they are going to have to pay the big bucks for a #4 pick.

Archived