Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Springs = The new 50/50

FuriousD

He gets a horrible rep because of the seemingly minor injuries that keep him out. How many times can you miss a game because your calf hurts? You especially don't get a pass when you avoid OTA's and minicamps and then aren't in good enough shape to withstand the bumps and bruises that come with playing football. When he is out there, he plays at a high level, we need someone that plays at a high level 16 times a year not someone who can pop up on the injury report any given week and any given time...we need to draft a corner early...

Great CB. Yes. Every game player, NO. Darell Green. Great player every week no matter what. Sorry, but when you make the kind of money Springs does to perform, what 16, maybe 20 times a year, and you constantly have minor injuries that keep you from the game, it's time to move on. Time for the Skins to cut there losses. If I walked into my office and said I could only perform 30% of the time, I would be fired, why is he any different?

Springs has had his battles with injuries for sure, but he's definitely played more then half the time.

So far he's played 4 of 6 games this season.

Actually, he's played 3.5 games out of 6.

By Sunday night that will be 3.5 games out of 7. Sounds like about half to me so far this year.

I don't see how this is a stupid thread. You have to be a blind homer to not realize that Springs is one of the most fragile players on the team. Sure he has been a great cover corner for us, WHEN HE PLAYS. He's already missed the entire Giants game and significant time in the Cowboys game and other games. If he was in against the Giants, who knows, maybe he contains Plax and we have a shot at winning that game. Thing is, he was a surprise scratch for that game, nobody had any indication he wasn't going to play until the day of.

With a defensive line that doesn't get that much pressure, we can't afford to have our best CB playing only half the time. I don't want to say for sure that Shawn is soft, because I don't know his situation, but whether or not it's something he can control/his fault, it's definitely NOT good for the team.

Everyone's talking about how he shut down TO that was just 2 quarters what about the Giants & Rams games? He's good when on the field but he needs to be on the field to get the credit. With our lack of pass rush we need our best in the secondary & I feel as if he let's the team down & think he should have took a pay cut to help the team he don't play to his cap #. But with all that said I still love Springs (when he's on the field)

Im with the OP, we need to start grooming his replacement next season. Put CB up there as draft needs along with OL and DL. Every year it never seems to fail, Springs gets hurt when we need him most. Hes a great player, one of the best on the team, but hes useless to us from the sideline. Keep him on as the Nickel back, but we need to start looking towards the future.

He's not the same 50/50 as Rod Gardner but he's injury prone now. At this age the human body just starts to give. No matter what happens this season I've always maintained that the Skins need to

1. Sharpen up the trenches on both sides

2. Draft another LB or 2

3. Start looking at some CB's.

Yeah it's true we always see his name on the injury report for "minor" injuries but if you really think about it, how much time has he actually missed since he came in '04?? Besides 2006, when he only played like 6 games becuz of injury, he is been pretty reliable. Out of the 6 games this season, he's missed 2. Last year, i dont even recall Springs missing 1 game(not to mention 4 late season ints to help our playoff run). His first year here, he only missed 1 game. His second year here, he only missed 1 game. Evrybdy is looking at his '06 season where he missed 10 games, but othr than that, he's been pretty reliable. I'll admit that he does get nicked up alot; but he still comes out on game-day and plays thru his injuries. Not only does he play, but he performs at a VERY high level. I personally think he uses SOME of those "little injuries" jus so he doesnt hav to practice (much like Plaxico did last yr with his ankle) but he still comes out and performs well on game day. Keep in mind that he is a vet who does not shy away from contact so his body is naturally going to be more fragile with age. But also the fact that he is our "shutdown" corner. Shawn still has it and i dont see him missing more than 4 games this season(including postseason)

I also 4got to point out the fact that in '06, Springs missed 10 games and our defense was close to last in every statistical category

He's always hit or miss on when or if he'll play. He tweaks something every year, and leaves us without our best corner. It happens EVERY year. He's making 7mill this year, and he's played, um let's see....four games? Out of six? Unacceptable. I thought he was this uber-conditioned cat, yet every year we're left pulling guys off the practice squad to play nickel.

this is why we needed to get a cb this last off season. and why i'm so adament against l torrance, with springs missing soo much time we need our fourth cb to be able to start and i am sorry but torrance is by no means ready to start. we have 3 good cb's and the rest are terrible, we had chances to upgrade our secondary and chose not to. they did this a couple of years ago and it hurt us then too. i wonder if ty law is playing?, if he will take a low offer to come play(probably not). but i am concerned that this poor choice by the front office might well come back to bite this team in the butt.i was hoping that before the trade dead line we would make a trade for a cb. but we stood pat and if springs doesn't snap out of this injury problem he's having we could see this season slip away. the way we play defense it requires the cb to cover their man one on one. after our first 3 starters the rest are guys who are either too green or are just plain ol terrible cb's.too bad that the eagles are the team with a cb to trade. because they would rape and pillage us for their cb.oh well, too late now.hope things work out but regardless i will be there supporting them as i always do.c'mon skins, lets go.here's to no more injuries.

Well than if he starts 8 games and we win 75% of the games that puts us at 6-10. It sounds that math isn't good. His dad is a cowboy so lets not go there. He is a good corner when he plays but the fact that he only plays 50% that is not a winning percentage. Isn't this why Seattle got rid of him?

He misses all of the big games that we need him and that sucks.

Springs has been stellar for us...one of the top corners in the game easily when healthy..but he gets dinged up and is becoming fragile/not reliable to be counted on, on a weekly basis. No Fred this weekend either...that hurts. So its Carlos against Edwards and Torrence? on Stallworth? ewww

Springs is a good player, but he's way too fragile to consider as a full time starter. Because he can't play so often it nullifies his great on field presence so that he's just an average player for the team at best. We need a starter and then he can play nickle back. I have always thought he was a (female anatomical part) compared to guys who play hurt all the time like Portis.

Archived