Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis needs a new character -- leader

clskinsfan

Interesting take on Portis. But i do consider him a leader of this team.

Thoughts?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8675062/Portis-needs-a-new-character----leader

Clinton Portis posted MVP-caliber numbers this past Sunday, but true MVPs don't let their squads lose to the lowly St. Louis Lambs. By now, everybody's heard Portis' grumbling about his Washington Redskins not having their mind right heading into the Rams game, but the person who really needs to pay close attention to those comments is Clinton Portis himself.

I have a hard time swallowing this "Mr. Serious" spiel from Portis. After all, this is the guy who's concocted more stupid characters than Eddie Murphy played in "Norbit." This is the guy who once chuckled with Chris Samuels about Michael Vick's dogfighting ring. This is the guy who once wore a Ric Flair-style gold title belt on the Denver Broncos' sideline, despite not being the champion of anything I'm aware of. This is the guy who guaranteed the Redskins would earn a berth in last year's NFC Championship game, but ultimately didn't deliver.

Portis can run around in phony championship belts and play all the fake characters he wants, but until he displays some real character, his Skins aren't going to win any real championships.

Portis has six rushing TDs on the season and leads the league in both rushing attempts (136) and yards (643). Recently, he has been even more impressive, posting three consecutive 100-yard rushing performances. Portis also hasn't fumbled yet this year and is a stud blocker in pass protection. But the Redskins need more -- they need Portis to be their unquestioned leader.

Jim Zorn is a first-year coach who isn't exactly Tom Coughlin when it comes to his temperament. Jason Campbell hasn't done enough yet to be the true leader of that locker room. Mr. Taylor just got to Washington. Chris Cooley is too busy accidentally exposing himself on the Internet. If someone's going to step up and be the face of the Redskins, it's going to have to be you, Sheriff Gonnagetcha. What's truly "gonnagetcha" team somewhere is you stepping up and becoming a leader. Portis should have let his teammates know they weren't taking a desperate Rams team seriously enough.

If Portis had stepped up, assumed a larger leadership role and talked some sense into his teammates before or even during the game -- for instance, when Marcus Washington went all "8 Seconds" and celebrated a routine play against a league laughingstock -- I wouldn't be writing this right now. Santana Moss's brutal two weeks wouldn't have mattered. Pete Kendall getting all young Tiki Barber with the pigskin? Wouldn't have mattered. None of it would have mattered, because the Redskins would have won that game.

Portis can come out and give us all the lip service he wants, but if he led half as well as he played last week the Burgundy and Gold would be sitting pretty in the NFC East right now. Instead, the Redskins pulled an even bigger Week 6 choke-job than the rival Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants did. Coach Janky Spanky can keep making excuses for his team, but until he truly steps up and becomes the man in D.C. he'll be Christian Slater (he's still alive?) -- his own worst enemy. If he does step up, I can see him winning the MVP award and carrying his team deep into the playoffs.

The bad thing is wasn't it Portis hunting Rams with Cooley on his blog? Who didnt take the Rams serious, our defense who gave up 200 total yards? I dont buy it I say lead by example. I love the characters he does more then anyone but dont say people didnt take them serious when you are making fake not funny videos about hunting rams.

What the hell is this guy smokin'???

CP is leading the league is rushing! He loves to block and he's a stud doing it. He runs like there's no tomorrow. How can this not be an example of a leader?

Perhaps his "non-character" is his character?

This guy is obviously a hater.... I mean what else is CP suppose to do???

This article makes me so angry that I couldn't even finish reading before responding. Clinton Portis was the only thing working on offense in 2004. He carried this team on his back in 2005. He was injured in 2006. Our o-line was banged up, but he still managed decent play despite his adversity in 2007. In 2008, he's a candidate for league MVP. I'm sorry, but you can't blame anybody else's play on Portis. Just because he dressed in funny outfits and made some funny videos, that doesn't mean he's not pouring his heart into this team. In fact, his funny outfits are a big part of what got us going in 2005. Sorry, this is a bit of a rant, but I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of people talking crap about Portis. No matter what he does, people say SOMETHING, and it really gets to me!!!!

The bad thing is wasn't it Portis hunting Rams with Cooley on his blog? Who didnt take the Rams serious, our defense who gave up 200 total yards? I dont buy it I say lead by example. I love the characters he does more then anyone but dont say people didnt take them serious when you are making fake not funny videos about hunting rams.
First of all, the video was awesome. Second of all, you give credit to the defense for performing but ignore Portis's two touchdowns and 140 yards. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You have no idea what Portis did the rest of the week. Whatever he did, I hope he keeps it up. I wouldn't mind a repeat of that performance.

I watched about 10 seconds of that hunting Rams video. First I was "Oh geeeez:doh:... great... something to pump up the Rams." It was Tanners boring impression of Borat (or somebody) that made me quickly click back out. I have no problems with the players having fun with the fans, but PLEASE... leave the opposing teams out of it and do something else. Actually, I hope CP doesn't do ANY characters this year (and maybe he won't). This year is different... make it different.

As far as the stupid comment about CP being somewhat responsible (?) for the lost last Sunday... :rotflmao:

Reads more like something from BMitch.

This is the guy who once had 3 consecutive 1xx yard rushing games against some of the most talented defenses out there. This is the guy who has set franchise records. This is the guy who has single-handedly helped carry this team to the playoffs (twice). This guy is a leader. Sit down and shut up Adam Worst.

0.o Yeah the guy has carried this team on his back for the last few years when we made the playoffs, leads the NFL in rushing and apparently it's his fault that they lose when he has a 100+ yard game and 2 touch downs.

Who ever wrote that, needed a story and decided to pick Portis as the target.

This article is a bit of a reach, Portis couldn't have done anything more than he did on Sunday, and clearly the only reason this article was written is because of that game...

But Portis' lack of leadership is showing on the team through the likes of Rabach lol...

I hope Portis reads the article and responds on the field for the rest of the year, like he has been doing. Portis does have leadership, he leads on the field and plays hard, He throws his body around the field to make blocks that no other running back could. He adapts his game to what the needs of the team and organization are. I don't care about media respect, and I really don't think CP does either. He and the Skins will continue to do it on the field. GO SKINS!!!! GO CP!!!!!

Wost article I've read. CP carries the team last week and he's told he shouldn't have let the team lose? I don't recall watching CP fumble the ball 3 times when we were ready to score; in fact, I'm pretty sure he scored the only two TDs of the game for the Skins.

Terrible article, guy should be fired and someone with respectable knowledge should be hired.

He writes the article as if Portis is a huge distraction. He's only having fun, and he retired the costumes two seasons ago. Why pick on the Skins? He also said the Skins had the biggest chokejob on Sunday? It wasn't really a defensible loss, but letting the Rams kick a game-winning field goal is worse than getting pounded like the Giants did? And why isn't this guy picking on New York? Players were jawing about how the Browns were 1-3, Plaxico is unapolegetic coming off of his suspension, and it's hard to believe that the whole locker room views Eli as the battle-tested leader. A ring changes a lot, but I don't see any more leadership in the Giants (or Cowboys for that matter) locker room than I do on the Skins.

Ever since the Sean Taylor tragedy, Portis has been this teams leader. Sure, he has always carried the team in previous years here, but he became the leader. He had the confidence to pull everyone through it and has become a much more serious, and humbled (maybe not the best word) person. Sure, i miss his characters sometimes, but he is the main man now and he is definitely showing it.

This writer needs to STFU and learn some facts.

Archived