Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Michael Green May Be Added at Safety

RedskinsSuperBowl21

And in doing so, we're right back in the same dilemma year after year. We have a GM who supposedly keeps track of every player in the NFL. Why can't he find a prospect player, for example, stashed away on another team's practice squad? This idiotic "Win Now" mentality has been killing us ever since Danny took over the franchise. You bring in the young guys, and you have a great coaches/assistants staff develop them to fit your system. How freakin' hard to understand is that?

So you really think Marcus Mason will help this team more for the next 4 weeks than Shaun Alexander?...You really think the FO sees signing Michael Green as "winning now"?...You really think that the team releasing Hamilton shows that they don't care about developing young talent?

And in doing so, we're right back in the same dilemma year after year. We have a GM who supposedly keeps track of every player in the NFL. Why can't he find a prospect player, for example, stashed away on another team's practice squad? This idiotic "Win Now" mentality has been killing us ever since Danny took over the franchise. You bring in the young guys, and you have a great coaches/assistants staff develop them to fit your system. How freakin' hard to understand is that?

Umm. Chris Horton!!!!! You people as if he's coming in here to start. He's veteran depth, and special teams contributor at most.

Jeez lousie!

So you really think Marcus Mason will help this team more for the next 4 weeks than Shaun Alexander?...You really think the FO sees signing Michael Green as "winning now"?
Alexander instead of Mason. (Or better yet giving Rock some PT) Hell yes, that's a WIN NOW move.

Green, a 31 year old safety? Hell yes, that's a WIN NOW move.

You really think that the team releasing Hamilton shows that they don't care about developing young talent?
We keep making bonehead moves like the above. What do you think?

PLUG & PLAY..in todays game you gotta do it..somebody gets hurt..you look for someone who knows the system..or at least has played for a coach on the team..you sign them and keep getting it..its simple..what you dont want to do is trade your future draft picks for those plug and play players..now lets see who was that RB we traded a draft pick for several seasons ago who never played at all...

We don't need a prospect we need DEPTH. Why the heck should we sign a prospect in WEEK 7!! We are fighting for a Super Bowl this season and we need people who can ball now.
Pop Quiz: And how do you get depth instead of an old injury-ridden scramble?

The Giants didn't replace Shockey with a vet last year. They had a prospect that could step up.

HTTR

This supposed prospect is on a practice squad for a reason, mainly because the team doesn't deem him capable of being productive just yet.

If you were looking for a temp to bring in for a large project that's under a time squeeze, would you hire the graduate with some internship work experience or somebody with a considerable amount of experience under his belt?

Blatche has familiarity with the player, and Green has significant experience as a starter in this league.

How is this even up for debate?

Umm. Chris Horton!!!!! You people as if he's coming in here to start. He's veteran depth, and special teams contributor at most.

Jeez lousie!

Horton was a great pick by Vinny. I wish he'd keep more picks to find more guys like the Predator.

We keep getting veteran depth, when we have only so many roster spots available. Continuity is good at all positions (not just O-Line). Hard to get that signing all these quick fixes.

This supposed prospect is on a practice squad for a reason, mainly because the team doesn't deem him capable of being productive just yet.

If you were looking for a temp to bring in for a large project that's under a time squeeze, would you hire the graduate with some internship work experience or somebody with a considerable amount of experience under his belt?

Blatche has familiarity with the player, and Green has significant experience as a starter in this league.

How is this even up for debate?

The "time squeeze" is my point. The same stupid WIN NOW mentality. Using your analogy, we hire the old guy who couldn't cut it at another companies project, but we expect this guy to be better than a college grad with some train-ability.

I ironically agree with your last point. How is this even up for debate? :doh:

There is no pleasing some people. When a young guy gets put out there and doesn't perform everyone wants to cut him, but when we pick up a solid vet as a backup, we are trying to "win now". (Like that's a bad thing.)

Obviously, the coaching staff didn't feel comfortable with Hamilton being their depth and decided to go get an experienced vet to back up the starters. Considering all the youth that is sitting at the safety position, it is a logical move.

jason

That they had drafted. This is not April.
All the more reason to drop the WIN NOW mentality, ASAP. We ought to have a front office that better prepares this team for the long haul, rather than the mad free agent scramble we engage in every year. But to do that, you have to show some restraint during the regular season.

The "time squeeze" is my point. The same stupid WIN NOW mentality. Using your analogy, we hire the old guy who couldn't cut it at another companies project, but we expect this guy to be better than a college grad with some train-ability.

And you are probably going to the the first in line with the axe when the "college grad" screws up. At least the "old guy" has a track record you know about and can likewise judge strengths and weaknesses.

Jason

Hard to get that signing all these quick fixes.

There is not another option right now.

Marcus Mason and Justin Hamilton over Shaun Alexander and Mike Green would be absolute lunacy. Listen, I like Mason and Hamilton, but anyone that says that they are definitely going to amount to something is lying to you. Nobody knows for sure. The odds are against them.

I just don't see how you can argue adding a former NFL MVP and a safety that has played at a Pro Bowl level....for depth. It is not like they are going to step in and be starters.

Build your depth in the offseason. Now is the time to win football games as best you can.

How much time do you think the coaches have to bring a rookie up to speed? Do you have any idea what goes on behind the scenes of your average NFL team during the season?

There's a reason why teams all around the league sign seasoned vets for depth during the season. Veterans have demonstrated that they have the ability to absorb a game plan, that they can break down film and process in game coaching and instructions.

Every roster spot is valuable, you cannot waste it on some nobody that hasn't done squat yet for your team. Win now is precisely the mo that any sane franchise in this league operates under DURING THE SEASON.

The irony in all of HailGreen28 arguments is that he's talking about a position where we did draft a couple of young players for depth. Now, that depth is being used and we now need to back up that young depth. Doing it with another youngster who didn't even play football last year is pretty foolhearty.

Also, as for winning now, well that is what we are trying to do right now. That's what the season is about, winning the next game with the goal of reaching the Super Bowl.

Jason

All the more reason to drop the WIN NOW mentality, ASAP. We ought to have a front office that better prepares this team for the long haul, rather than the mad free agent scramble we engage in every year. But to do that, you have to show some restraint during the regular season.

You are not going to get they type of players you are talking about right now. It is just not going to happen.

If we just arbitrarily started signing players off of everyone elses practice squads, I bet one out of 20 would end up sticking. As, guess what, depth. It makes more sense to me to sign a known commodity for 10 fricking games. After that, their contract is up and we can find a young player when the pool is bigger and has a lot more talent.

Whatever, the moves have been made.

And you are probably going to the the first in line with the axe when the "college grad" screws up. At least the "old guy" has a track record you know about and can likewise judge strengths and weaknesses.

Jason

The college grad as a possible risk, as opposed to the old guy probably doing what he did on his last project with his last company. Which decision would look stupider to the management of the company?

The college grad as a possible risk, as opposed to the old guy probably doing what he did on his last project with his last company. Which decision would look stupider to the management of the company?

You have one view on this. Apparently, I have the other. It is pointless for me to respond further.

You are not going to get they type of players you are talking about right now. It is just not going to happen.

If we just arbitrarily started signing players off of everyone elses practice squads, I bet one out of 20 would end up sticking. As, guess what, depth. It makes more sense to me to sign a known commodity for 10 fricking games. After that, their contract is up and we can find a young player when the pool is bigger and has a lot more talent.

Whatever, the moves have been made.

But we aren't any more likely to get the type of players we're talking about, the way we're doing it now either. And this front office has a marked tendency to get guys that even if they work out, aren't going to be here long because of age. They lose another step quick, or flat out get hurt.

As far as arbitrarily signing players, I bet you're right, or if anything too optimistic. That's where we need a first-class FO to step in.

Archived