Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn Presser Coming Up-Brooks has a right quad strain, is getting MRI

TK

Durant Brooks has a right quad strain, team is bringing in punters to work them out.

Seems like they'll make a decision on Wednesday.

Cerrato said Durant won't be the punter, Zorn says that was based on his injury--they're not 'getting rid of him today'.

Brooks is getting an MRI now.

Punting situation is the biggest question mark so far. Zorn doesn't want to make a statement about it but his 'position is in jeopardy, because of performance...that is fair to say...we can't just say 'see you later'...he may be the best guy out there we need to continue to work with him...we know he's a good punter [in practice]...he hasn't punted well in the games...the quad has been bothering him for a while...they expect him to punt [better]..."

Zorn won't say that Brooks won't be the punter, thinks that Vinny's statements were based solely on the injury. However, they had contacted punters about working out before this week and based on Brook's performance.

"Chris Cooley can't punt for us" (cue laughter)

If Brooks can't punt, he can't hold. New punter will need holding experience.

Chris Samuels has a mild sprained knee (no MRI) and a sprained ankle. Betts has a mild sprained knee, tests being checked by doctors. Low sprained ankle for Horton, low sprain..should be fine. Smoots groin, should be fine. Thrash has sprained knee and took the hit in the back (from Randle El), should be OK. Marcus Washington was lifting this morning, Zorn thinks his hamstring held up fine. Concern with Ladell is that his knee will be too sore for next week, Rock would go right in.

(Seems that if Ladell can't practice, Rock will play)

*more to come*

Zorn proud of the defense, played well. Didn't allow Rams to do what they wanted to do.

Offense "kept swinging", in the midst of stopped drives (biggest issues), no one lost concentration or lost hope from what we did on offense...a bit un-characteristic of this offense because of how they've played...didn't 'go into a shell or moan and groan to each other'

Approach to Browns game will not change, he won't "bust them up" about the loss.

"We had some miscues [in pass protection]" On Jansens side, we had a play where Jon got his guy and the back (I think it was Betts) picked up the wrong guy. We had some mis-communication between the line and the backs. "We didn't communicate well and we got sacked"

(Not giving Rams much credit, says we messed up)

(Zorn seems very loose, making jokes and pantomiming what Kareem Moore did wrong on a blitz, reporters are laughing along with him)

Zorn thinks that there were less than 10 plays that lost the game. Huge frustration, players feel it too, will point out the 'what ifs' during the week. "We should be excited about most of the plays...very proud of Jason Campbell and [how he focused during the game]" Kept plugging away, didn't get down.

"Incredible to think of all the things that [went wrong]"

"If I went in there to our team...and came in there and started throwing blows its just stating the obvious"

"Ok Pete we're going to work on you batting the ball down...I mean we could work on a drill"

(laughing)

"That would be foolishness, the thing I'm most concerned about...is the focus of and the concentration of the offsides, it was you know guys just jumping...we had Cooley jump once, the tackle jump once...Antwaan was on the the line of scrimmage...I want to work on that, we need to work on that...there were just flat 'no-plays' because of lack of concentration...I will work on that...that's inexcusable"

(On Moss' lack of production)

"He was frustrated, he dropped two...we tried four or five other times to get him the ball...the big catch by Randel El was solely designed to go to Santana Moss...they took him out and they should, he's an excellent receiver and an excellent football player"

Wanted to get Moss in on some punt returns but the one time that they were going to they decided to go for a block.

"Hugely important (for third receivers to step it up)"

(On Campbell's performance on final drive)

"It defines a QB and his career, not being stopped keeping that concentration level up, not creating this image in your mind that 'gosh we need to score, we need to score quickly'...he was very patient...kept his concentration level up"

(On Browns game)

"I don't think we overlooked this team at all...I don't think we'll overlook any other teams at all...we were in the middle of the pack in terms of how we saw ourselves...we didn't see ourselves as 'oh we are so awesome'...we HAVE to improve on those little things that create problems...we had so many things that we needed to overcome...it was less than 10 (Reporter: Was it 7?) I'll put my finger on it...we're not gonna treat [the Browns] like we're the dominant team, and they're the underlings, we're all in there together...we have to play as hard as we did this week, but [without the problems]"

(On coin flip, choosing to defer)

"I want our football team to have the first opportunity to score...I want to set the stage on offense...I believe our team, offensively, we don't have alot of fear that we're not going to be successful..."

(Back to injuries)

"Reed is out right now, his back is still and issue...numbness in one foot (not sure what side)...he's still coming along...Stephon needs to be able to finish with that punch...that strength, that explosion is not there yet...Jon Jansen has played well...competition is there [Zorn and Buges will talk]...

(Jason Taylor is fine)

"We drained [Malcom Kelly's] knee twice last week...(after practice the knee is very sore)...when the knee quits swelling and we quit having to drain it he can contribute"

(How are you impressed with CP?)

"Isn't he leading the National Football league? I'm impressed with THAT"

"Jason turned down Moss several times yesterday and [picked another WR]...and the rhythm of the play has [helped our offense]"

(Back to CP)

"He's running violent with the ball, and he's blocking violently...if he knows he's got you and you're coming in, you're going to have a dogfight...he doesn't shy away at all...he's a complete back, he's smart, he's into the game...he's quite a guy"

(Back to Smoot)

"I don't know the reason why he wasn't in on that particular play (last pass play), but it [could have been groin injury"

"I think we gave it its due, we just have to make a decision [Malcolm Kelly]"

----------------------

My take:

Zorn may be emotional on the field, but off the field he has complete control of himself and seems to be very comfortable. He struggled with some names during the presser but other than that he just seems to be in total control of his position right now.

He doesn't seem too concerned about the team, seems to feel like we're getting there and we just made some stupid mistakes and had a general lack of concentration during the game. He wouldn't say that we overlooked the Rams, but I wouldn't be shocked if that had alot to do with it. He didn't seem to think that the team had let the attention go to their heads...but I think that was alot of it (at least I hope so...otherwise we have serious issues)

He's not the old-school, yell at the team after a loss kind of guy because "Its just stating the obvious"

The loss sucks, our offense looked good and then they would fall apart. The defense was excellent again, and the special teams sucked.

Seems like Brooks is a goner unless we can't find a competent replacement, which will certainly help. No one brought up Suisham so it seems like he's safe.

I expect them to bounce back and bounce back big against the Browns, we took our hits against the Giants and we fixed the problems and ripped off 4 straight. Yesterday, we beat ourselves...the Rams A) aren't very good and B) didn't play well...we LOST that game.

Not sure I like that Vinny seems to be talking over Zorn. I didn't hear the presser though, so I can't tell whether that's really the case, or just the way I'm reading what was typed.

Looked to me like it made Zorn uncomfortable. Wish Vinny would just STFU.

Archived