Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin fan's, Texas born and bred.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

'K, seeing as the team's flying and were all devoid of anything to gripe over, I thought I'd take advantage of the lull with a question that's more pure curiosity than anything else.

I know a fair few of you have ended up down in the big State through circumstance, (work, family, etc), but what about those amongst us that are bona fide Texan's with a burgundy and gold heart?

Given the rivalry, that borders on hatred, with the Crygirls, how doe's that come about? I can see maybe's fans of senior years that may of been Redskins fans way before Dallas got the franchise and we dominated the South, but outside of that, I'd be real interested to know, well, why the Redskins?

Oh, for my sins, and I'm engaged to a darn Texan, from the panhandle, who shares a, uhmmm, "healthy" dislike for us and has threatened my balls on a platter if i turn her son over to the "good" side of the divide. Dallas week around here gets REAL interesting, and ugly. And before y'all send out the witch hunt party for my head, bare in mind these three words, "MAKE UP SEX!" :)

Hail.

I don't know, but I would assume that it's similar to the number of Cowboy fans in the DC area. People's parents probably raised them as Cowboy fans, and eventually it got to the point that the kid wanted to tick the parents off, so they started rooting for the Cowboys' biggest rival, the Redskins. That's why there are so many Cowboy fans in the DC area. I used to work for one; his older brother was a huge Skins fan, and he wanted to distinguish himself apart from his brother, so he picked the Cowboys. The ironic part is that he stayed in the DC area, and his brother actually had to move to Dallas for his job! Jerry Jones likes to taunt the fact that the DC area has more Dallas fans than anywhere else other than Dallas, but the reverse is true in Dallas with Redskin fans.

i am a texan...born and raised. that doesnt mean the rest of my family is.

my two brothers were born in the dc area. lived in virginia for years. family moved to texas for my dads job before i was born. my brothers were skins fans from growing up there, and when i was born...they made sure i never became a cowboys fan. it worked.

My family was a die hard pokes fan~

:doh: unfortunately, they still are and affected my son:doh:

But I am a Redskin fan~ because they beat the pokes during a heated family get together back in the early 70's :point2sky

Yes, I live in Kansas~ probably outta root for the Chiefs? Naw~ they have dumb fans~ and have you seen how they play?;)

Redskin Fan forever :cheers:

guy I see every day thru work is a big pukes fan. he said his wole family has been a skins fans since the first years. I asked him why pukes, he said just to be different. his dad will rather go spend 500 on a authentic skins coach jacket than a texas meal even if his life depended on it. hahaha

Brad Dusek was from the city I was born and raised in. I grew up watching him play high school ball and then fallowed him on to the pros and became a fan. About the time he retired, Ricky Sanders then went to the skins and he was also from that area and friends with several of my friends. Brad is now a home builder there and I occasionally see Ricky around town but after that, I just stayed the course.

I was born in Odessa, TX. (Friday Night Lights) in 1973. My Uncle lived in Dallas and was a wealthy oil executive and actually tried to partner with some other executives to buy the Dallas Cowboys. Something happened and the deal fell through. Ever since then he hated the Cowboys and it rubbed off on me.

My Dad was working for BP and we were transfered to Alaska in 1984. After high school I moved back with the family and now reside in Houston. I have always loved Texas but bleed burgandy and gold.

HAIL

CP

i'm a San Antonio, TX native...i.e. Cowboy bandwagon central...

but i never watched football til '87.

dad was rooting for Skins vs Chicago and Minnesota and so i was too...

Superbowl must have sealed the deal.

with men like Art Monk, Darrell Green, Joe Gibbs, Monte Coleman, Doug Williams and the like...

how could you not root for this team?

i never looked back...21 years and counting...Hail Skins! :helmet:

As much as we love to hate them, the truth is that there are a lot of Texan Cowboys fans who admired the way that Joe Gibbs went about building championship teams. He was religious, humble, and his teams were always tough, disciplined and hard working. That meshes pretty well with what I'd call common Texan values. Moreover, guys like Darrell Green and Sanders came from Texas. I've actually found that Gibbs' generates respect and admiration from Cowboys fans more than he does from Giants or Eagles fans.

Now, if Cowboys fans can appreciate that, I would have to assume that other football fans from the state of Texas could likewise appreciate that too. Anyway, I think Gibbs went a long way towards generating interest in the team in Texas, especially after the provocative and abrasive George Allen did everything he could to stoke the rivalry on an emotional level.

Thanks for the reply's guys and gals. They made for interesting reading.

I guess in the main, as I've always believed, unless it get's handed down to you from your folks, you don't chose your football team, it kinda' chooses you.

(In a corny Coach Z take), Three cheers for us for choosing the RIGHT team..... (Y'all know the rest. :).). :cheers:.

Hail.

I've always appreciated our B&G brothers holding the line down there in Northern Mexico. And anywhere else too, but there in enemy territory, you are truly our Delta Force. HTTR.

We have accepted the challenge.........and relish our victories!!!!!

My staff and workers that know my affiliation with the SKINS gave me nothing but props after this win.

Those of us who are NATIVE to TEXAS, AND REDSKIN fans.......have a feeling many other fans may not understand.

Living in Dallas, it gives me great pleasure to be a SKINS fan, representing here.

We have accepted the challenge.........and relish our victories!!!!!

My staff and workers that know my affiliation with the SKINS gave me nothing but props after this win.

Those of us who are NATIVE to TEXAS, AND REDSKIN fans.......have a feeling many other fans may not understand.

Living in Dallas, it gives me great pleasure to be a SKINS fan, representing here.

OK, I meant brothers & SISTERS too. Keep holding that flag!

I was born in San Antonio, TX, and I've been living in Austin, TX for about 5 years now (Hook 'Em Horns!).

My family is full of cowboy hate. I've been a fan ever since I saw them spank on the Cowboys one Monday night about 9 years ago. I've been bleeding burgundy and gold ever since.

I love being that ONE guy that people call up to talk trash about the Skins.

So far I've converted my girlfriend and a few cousins that look up to me. I'm building a Redskins colony over here. Slowly but surely :)

It's like that everywhere. I was born and lived in NewJersey 15 minutes from Philly. Been a Skins fan since I was 7. Whole family bleeds green.Youngest brother has worked for Eagles for over 15 years.

The answer that my father always said was. "Shoulda never dropped that little sumb*tch":cheers:

Archived